Atomos Ninja and the V1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Atomos Ninja and the V1U

The Vimeo copy looks like the compression used on the sample video is a bit too hard. Any possibility of uploading a much larger / higher quality exported file?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Andrew, you can download the larger version from the vimeo page (this is the original x.264 file, which I thought looked pretty good). I did not try to optimize the file size, since I was uploading to Vimeo and not worried about streaming or hosting it myself. To go higher rez than that would probably be a REALLY large file. The x.264 file was a little over 180MB. Also, you have to be a Vimeo signed in user in order to download the file I believe.
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #18

The video playback from the original uploaded file is maxing out my CPU, so I suspect that's it for me in the meantime.

Andrew
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Now I just have to get it from component into HDMI for my FX1..... <sigh>
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Jeff, any update on how the Atomos is doing with the V1?

I own 2 V1U's and am wondering if I should extend their life by buying a couple of Ninja's rather than buying new cameras.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Regular Crew

D.J.,
I have found that the Ninja definitely extended the life of my V1U. I was thinking off replacing it over the next year. However, now, based on the Ninja, what is out there from Sony, and how I use my camera, I feel I got at least a couple more years out of the camera.

But, I must say one of the biggest benefits to me are on my shoots for Clinics, where I am running 3-4 hours inbetween breaks. Stopping to swap HDV tape meant that I was missing content. With the ninja, I can shoot an entire day on a single drive, and not miss any of the action. Then when ingesting, the process is MUCH faster. Not to mention the better quality.

During shorter events, I still use HDV tape as a backup, but I have gained confidence in the Ninja for the longer shoots that it is capturing the action.

The new firmware is awesome as well. Instant playback on the device. Which always scared the death out of me with HDV Tape, as I would create time gaps and sometimes overwrite content when previewing before completing a day of shooting. No worries about that with the ninja and the new firmware.

I have 4 drives that I am using now, and have not had any problems whatsover.

Only minor issue I have seen is when I am using my remote to control the start and stop record function for both the camera-tape and the ninja at the same time, and the camera has not been recording for a period of time. The loop through function appears to sometimes cause the ninja to stop recording when the camera actually begins recording. But, a splitter rather than a loop through may solve that problem.

Hope this information helps. I am very happy with my investment in the Ninja product.
Jeff Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #22
New Boot

Hello, sorry if i post in a old thread
But, you can confirm that actually the v1u can "export" video trough HDMI port, so isnt only for "watch" that hdmi port, actually it can be captured with atomos ninja right?

Im saying this because i saw some camcorders that cant "export" video by hdmi, they can actually be connected and seen on TV or PC , but cannot be captured.

I own a V1p (that its the european version of V1u) so i guess if you could capture trough HDMI with ATOMOS NINJA

i could do the same with my V1p and Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2

i am right?
Christian Concha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #23
Major Player

I capture 1920x1080i via the HDMI port of my V1E (the PAL European version - I think the -P version is "rest of world"apart from N America & Europe) using a Matrox MXO2 with no problems. I can even use the 1394 connection at the same time to provide device control.

I am sure any version of the V1 would enable capture/export via the HDMI port.

I would welcome any user comments on ingesting the ProRes footage to a PC based Premiere CS6.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #24
Major Player

An HDMI output on a camcorder is for "Playback" or "Live Preview". I would not call it "Export", which denotes transferring data. When you ask if the HDMI output is for "Watching", yes it is, but this is also exactly the same signal that the Ninja is looking for, or capture devices like BlackMagic and Matrox are looking for.

While many of the DSLR cameras have strange HDMI output signals that are not always compatible with Atomos, actual VIDEO CAMCORDERS should ALL be compatible. If it has an HDMI output, you are all set!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Concha View Post
Hello, sorry if i post in a old thread
But, you can confirm that actually the v1u can "export" video trough HDMI port, so isnt only for "watch" that hdmi port, actually it can be captured with atomos ninja right?

Im saying this because i saw some camcorders that cant "export" video by hdmi, they can actually be connected and seen on TV or PC , but cannot be captured.

I own a V1p (that its the european version of V1u) so i guess if you could capture trough HDMI with ATOMOS NINJA

i could do the same with my V1p and Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2

i am right?
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #25
New Boot

Thanks everyone for your help,i was considering the atomos, but its kinda pricey for my actual budget.
I will consider your recommendation in not-so-far future, but for now ill buy an external media solution maybe dn-60
Christian Concha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Major Player

So now a couple of years after my 2011 posts on this thread I am still in pretty much the same situation.

I have been doing event and wedding videography with two Sony V1U's I purchased new when they were the latest thing. My 3rd cam (backup stationary cam) has been a Canon HV20 so all on HDV tape.

Not too long ago I purchased a Canon XA10 and T4i DSLR as my first move into non tape capture. While I think the XA10 is a great camera I miss a lot of the manual controls of my V1U's. We are about to edit together our first wedding with the XA10, T4i DSLR video, Canon HF M301, and one of my V1U's. I am anxious to see how the footage edits together.

I still love the look of our V1 footage and believe it's auto focus is one of the best I have seen. It has been fast and good enough that we can use it in all but the lowest light situations. I know many people don't but it has worked well for us.

I am now debating whether to purchase a second XA10 so I have two as my primary cameras backed up with the little HF M301 and sell my two V1U's or to purchase one or two Atomos Ninja 2's for the Sony V1U's and keep on using one or both a few more years.

Right now I can buy another XA10 for $1699 and B&H has the Atomos 2 for $795 ($200 lower than the normal price).

Any input guys?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #27

Just make sure you have somewhere good to mount the Atmos on the cameras.

Andrew
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Major Player

I have used a V1 with a Nanoflash for years. It has been a great setup. Proper mounting is a good thing. Wish I had the remote start button. It really improves the footage over HDV. This has been the best green screen setup I have ever used.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Major Player

Boy do I regret paying $600 two years ago to get the tape mechanisms replaced in my Z1 and V1. My V1 has say on a shelf for years now but perhaps I should consider this to bring it out of retirement. I always really loved the look of this camera.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #30

It's not that bad, though I understand your pain.

The Ninja is great, but over Easter I had a file get corrupted/lost and I was wishing I had simultaneously recorded a tape backup for that particular session. Would have saved me some embarrassment.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7