Sony FX7 or V1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 9th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony FX7 or V1U

Hi, every since my GL-2 died two years ago I have not had a real camcorder. I bought the vixia hv30, but now know why it was so cheap. I'm trying to decide between the FX7 and the V1U. The main difference I notice is the FX7 is 1080i and the V1U is 1080P. Is there that much of a difference between the two. I'm going to be using this for some websites involving models. I want high quality, but don't want to waste $1200. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FX7 or V1U

Be careful. The FX7 is 1080/60i only, while the V1 can do 1080/30p and 24p over 60i, as well as 1080/60i, but not 60p.

There are many, many additional pro features on the V1, including XLR audio inputs and pro settings in the firmware. Best to download and read the manuals for both before making a decision.

But also be aware that both are very old models and neither does well in low light. Both have been supplanted by much newer technology.

On the plus side, both have the longest tele lens available (748MM equiv) in their class and are very good values.

Last edited by Adam Gold; November 9th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Sony FX7 or V1U

Just curious Tony, did you end up buying either of the cams you listed? If so, how much did you pay?

Personally, I think rather than buy a used FX or V1, you'd should consider buying a new Canon XA10 camcorder. It'll blow the doors off both in terms of low light, and the image quality will be better also. The LCD on the XA10 is absolutely wonderful. No tape. It's like a mini GL2 only way more powerful. Or a canon G10 with a good mini mic like a Sennheiser MKE400.

I thought the HV30 was a very powerful camcorder. When set up properly, there were some amazing videos that came from that cam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7