DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   HVR-V1U Trade in (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/521905-hvr-v1u-trade.html)

Manohar Hegde February 27th, 2014 02:41 PM

HVR-V1U Trade in

I sent my Sony HVR-V1U for evaluation with the following:

PACKAGE INCLUDES: · Sony ECM-NV1 XLR Microphone · Sony HVR-V1U NTSC Video Camera Recorder · Sony Power Adapter · (1) Sony NP-=F970 Battery Pack · (1) Sony NFP-570 Battery Pack · Sony Lens Hood w. retractable lens cap · Sony Remote Controller / AV Cables (RCA and component) · · USB cable · Sony Large Eyecup for viewfinder · Tiffen 62mm UV Protection filter · Sony manual and CD.

Sony HVR-V1U Camcorder Hour Meter is as follows:

Operations: 14 x 10h = 140 hours

Drum Run: 12 x 10h = 120 hours

Tape Run: 10 x 10h = 100 hours

Threading: 18 x 10 = 180

The price that I am getting is $500. I am thinking to trade this with the new Sony HDR-CX900 that has just released by Sony. The price of Sony HDR-CX900 is $1498.

Is this a good deal I am getting for my Sony HVR-V1U?

Thanks in advance

Adam Gold February 27th, 2014 03:10 PM

Re: HVR-V1U Trade in

Only you can decide if this is a good deal on your trade-in. Did you send it to B&H? They are selling two used V1s at the moment, one for $1650 and one for $1750. Your hours are very low so I suspect they would try to get the higher figure for yours, plus you have the extra batt and filter, unless it is damaged in some way.

I personally would probably go to eBay and try to get maybe $1500 for the package.

Dave Blackhurst February 27th, 2014 06:58 PM

Just looked at SOLD V1U comps on ebay... I comp'd a used Z1U a while back for a buddy... it's a bit disappointing.

Older, tape based cameras are not bringing a lot generally, with rare exceptions. Considering you'll end up paying around 13% to ebay/paypal unless you're a regular seller with better final value fees, that $500 may not be "too" far off. You have an advantage of low hours, and if you've got all the contents in the original box (which is what your "inventory" looks like offhand) and a couple extras, you might get a premium if you're lucky and have a track record on ebay. I'm guessing $800-1200 from a casual perusal of the comps and current listings. IF you do ebay regularly, you'd probably come out ahead that way, but it has pitfalls for non-regulars... so it may or may not be "better" than a "clean" trade -in deal from a retailer?

You might consider putting it in the classifieds here on DVi?

John Nantz February 27th, 2014 08:13 PM

Another place to check is craigs list. Put this search term in your browser: site:craigslist.org Sony HVR-V1U

Here are a few for sale:
one in Seattle for $1,500; one in Charlotte for $4,500 (large kit); One in New London, low hours for $900, was just sold; one in Austin TX for $850, a nice kit near Sacramento for $1,250, etc.

There can be a lot of hassle going this route.

One option is to put an ad in for a low price, but more than the trade-in offer, and if it sells, great. If not, then go the trade-in route.

Manohar Hegde February 27th, 2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1834254)
Only you can decide if this is a good deal on your trade-in. Did you send it to B&H? They are selling two used V1s at the moment, one for $1650 and one for $1750. Your hours are very low so I suspect they would try to get the higher figure for yours, plus you have the extra batt and filter, unless it is damaged in some way.

I personally would probably go to eBay and try to get maybe $1500 for the package.

I called B & H and their response was poor. I was really disappointed with their response as I am a regular customer. They just shrugged me off.

Manohar Hegde February 27th, 2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1834278)
Just looked at SOLD V1U comps on ebay... I comp'd a used Z1U a while back for a buddy... it's a bit disappointing.

Older, tape based cameras are not bringing a lot generally, with rare exceptions. Considering you'll end up paying around 13% to ebay/paypal unless you're a regular seller with better final value fees, that $500 may not be "too" far off. You have an advantage of low hours, and if you've got all the contents in the original box (which is what your "inventory" looks like offhand) and a couple extras, you might get a premium if you're lucky and have a track record on ebay. I'm guessing $800-1200 from a casual perusal of the comps and current listings. IF you do ebay regularly, you'd probably come out ahead that way, but it has pitfalls for non-regulars... so it may or may not be "better" than a "clean" trade -in deal from a retailer?

You might consider putting it in the classifieds here on DVi?

The only thing missing is the original box which I should have kept. I will give ebay a try. Thanks

Manohar Hegde February 27th, 2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1834294)
Another place to check is craigs list. Put this search term in your browser: site:craigslist.org Sony HVR-V1U

Here are a few for sale:
one in Seattle for $1,500; one in Charlotte for $4,500 (large kit); One in New London, low hours for $900, was just sold; one in Austin TX for $850, a nice kit near Sacramento for $1,250, etc.

There can be a lot of hassle going this route.

One option is to put an ad in for a low price, but more than the trade-in offer, and if it sells, great. If not, then go the trade-in route.

I didn't had much luck through craigs list before. Thanks