62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Trustee

62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS

I am planning to buy a Sony CX900 or AX100, which have 62mm front lens threads. I understand the V1 has 62mm as well, so I am trying this question here.

The new cameras have a wide angle (35mm equiv) of 29mm. I need a full zoom through wide angle converter (not adapter) of high enough quality that it's use wouldn't be totally obvious in 1080p resolution. I currently use SD lenses on my HD Panasonic Varicams, so a little softness isn't the end of the world, but blurred edges and weird chromatic issues are not wanted.

Direct 62mm thread on would be convenient, but using a step down ring wouldn't big a huge deal Weight and size are not concerns, vigenetting is. I have used WA converters from Century in the past, but hear they make garbage now. I have heard good things about Zunow, but I have never heard of that company. i am starting from scratch here, so any recommendations appreciated.

Also, if there would be a better forum or site to ask this, please let me know. Thanks.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS

Wow, full zoom through WA without vignetting may not be possible. Maybe it is, but it'll be tough to find, I think. A step-down ring would virtually guarantee vignetting at all focal lengths.

Best bet is to do a search at B&H and read their reviews. Bigger database of users there.

Tell us what your understanding of the difference between an adapter and a converter is in this context.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Trustee

I know, wide is hard! The native 29mm of my lens stock is also a problem it seems.

CONVERTERS convert the lens into a wider lens. ADAPTERS change the lens to a wide prime.

I am focusing on this model for now.

Zunow WCX-08 Wide Angle Conversion Lens WCX-08

It's TWICE the price at B&H for some reason. So difficult to find review on these little suckers. I don't mind paying a lot of money for one, I just want one that is of at least the performance of my old SD Century optics converts of ol'.
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Good timing on this thread because I'm looking for the same thing. I'm also getting the AX100 and normally I'll use it as is, but sometimes the circumstance is such that I have to slap on a wide adapter. I'm skeptical of finding one that will be of good enough quality though. On my NX30 I use the Sony VCL-HGA07B which was supposed to be good quality, but honestly it's not that great as the quality loss near the edges is obvious :( Hopefully someone can recommend a quality one for 62mm, I'm willing to pay a lot to get one but finding accurate user reviews is very difficult.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Reviews look good. But make sure you have a good return policy.

Very odd about the B&H price being double. I'd call them.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I got the Zunow WCX-08 converter and posted pics of it in the AX100 thread, but I'll post them here as well. Before and after pics below, seems to add significant distortion so I'll probably be returning it.
Attached Thumbnails
62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS-standard.jpg   62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS-wideangle.jpg  

Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Great, Adorama no longer offers that lens.

I just picked up a 16x9 EXII 0.8x 82mm converter for use on my CX900. 16x9inc is sending me a ring set-up to attach this 500g (1lb) unit to the 800g Sony. I will post a test video on YouTube when I get it together.

I am most interested in seeing corner chromatic aberration and distortion at night or in low light, with the iris wide open. Large red and blue bars adjacent to everything in the corners would be unacceptable to most people.

Paul
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Siamidis View Post
I got the Zunow WCX-08 converter and posted pics of it in the AX100 thread, but I'll post them here as well. Before and after pics below, seems to add significant distortion so I'll probably be returning it.
These things are always a compromise. It looks a lot better than images I've seen recently of a Raynox HD-7062PRO on a PXW-70. Did you get something else in the end?
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Trustee

I got the EXII a few months ago, and 16x9 hooked me up with the 72 and 62mm converter rings. I have basically permanently attached the EXII to my new X70 I shoot with. I use it for all my live broadcast field news work. Obviously your going to push a converter lens at night wide open all the time, but I find that on the X70, there is practically no corner aberrations, and at 720p I am not bothered by the small decrease in sharpness at full zoom. Here is some video shot at night on the X70 with the EXII.

Paul
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Pretty impressive for a converter. Probably as good as it gets I would think. Would you mind to flip me the specific B&H link - there a a few versions of "EXII" on there. Thanks, Paul.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Trustee

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652920-REG/16x9_Inc_169_HDWC8X_82_169_HDWC8X_82_EXII_0_8x_Wide.html
I got mine used in mint condition on eBay for $100!

That is the version I got. 16x9 Inc provided me with a direct 72mm ring to replace the 82mm one, as well as a 72-62mm step up ring. I also use this EXII on a JVC HM650 which has 72mm threads, so it's a very useful tool. It doesn't have the same corner sharpness on the JVC as it does on the Sony's 62mm nose. On an 82mm Fujinon HAs18 lens, it even gets vignetting. The reason it works so well on a small lens is that it is a relatively large piece of glass, and the 62mm snout of our cameras nuzzles into the center sweet spot of the optics. The added weight is not really noticeable on the X70 or HM650, at least to me. Then again, I am used to shoulder cameras with 5lb AB batteries, so anything held freehand feels awkward to me!

Paul
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Wow - you got quite the deal! Thanks for figuring out all the ins and outs of this, and for posting the link and information. It's more than I had planned to spend for new, but I know I will be craving the extra field of view once my X70 arrives. Anyway, don't want to buy a piece of junk, that's for sure. I should keep looking on eBay.

Last edited by Terence Morris; November 2nd, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I've just found this thread and am still unsure: would this converter work at 4K resolution of AX100 or X70?
Very slight vignetting or shaddowing in the corners would not be that problem, since I use it almost only for fireworks at night sky at full wide angle. But it has to be very sharp at the edges.

I would like to have it even wider, but probably there is no 0.6x converter out there in that quality? I did not find one. The only thing with a little more angle is the Raynox HD-7062PRO. It shows noticable vignetting at full width. This would be maximum allowed to me:

@Paul, did you try the Raynox and can you directly compare with the 16x9?
Re: Sony AX100 tested with .7x Raynox wide angle adapter: Digital Video Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #14
Trustee

The Raynox stuff is garbage. It would show severe chromatic aberration and blurring in the corners or even center in standard def. They actually have a YouTube video showing off their product at full telephoto, and it looks like some sort of quasi 3D effect the CA is so bad.

I don't think you are going to be able to find a wide converter that would be sharp in the edges in 1080 much less 720. My 16x9 is barely able to not have noticeable blur in my 720p footage. You have to look very close to see it, but it's there. in full zoom through telephoto, it may be softer than without, but it has no chromatic aberration, you cannot tell it's a wide converter if you did not have the bare lens footage to compare it against.....IMH\O.

Paul
Old March 15th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #15
Trustee

I just added a 16x9 EXII 0.75x converter to my existing 0.8x EXII. The .75x has twice the elements, and is almost twice the weight, but only a little bit longer. That .5 increase in wide angle is noticeable. In 2/3" lens terms, the 0.8x gives about 5.5mm, the 0.75x gives 5.2mm, similar to the Canon J9ax5.2BIRS.

Just saw this, Zunow came out with an X70 0.7x Wide Converter, the WCX-70.
Attached Thumbnails
62mm Wide Angle CONVERTERS-zunowwcx70.jpg  
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7