Dear Sony Claus- My Christmas Wishes for Successor HD Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Dear Sony Claus- My Christmas Wishes for Successor HD Camera

Dear Sony Claus:

I’m 55 years old, Sony Claus, and, you know, there are a lot of insecurities that go with that age. So my camera is kind of my symbol, if you know what I mean....

So last year, you brought me an FX1, and I was so elated. So I feel so bad about asking you for something more this year, but you know, these Canon people are making my head spin. 3 new HDV cameras in the last week or so, and pretty amazing too !!!

So Sony Claus, I’ve always believed in you, so here is what I want for Christmas this year:

--A successor the the Z1/FX1 line with a bit better light gathering capability (1 lux is fine) and an even cleaner image.. Does that mean 3 CMOS technology, or what, I leave that to you.

– that successor needs variable frame rates and progressive capability– even 1080 P ??? And how about 120 FPS for slowmotion

– how about a 25 x zoom

– interchangeable lens capability. There is only so much you can do with adapters.

- as part of that interchangeable lens capability, how about designing a one piece adapter that can be used in place of the prime lens to create a relay lens system to give us more control of
depth of field.

– leave the tape transport system, but why not have some kind of slot that will take a small laptop disk drive so we can record to “tapeless” simultaneously. (I know, your elves may have to design a drive, but I sure would like it to be fairly generic so I could use as many as I want.) That way I will have my archive material already on tape, and the disk will be usable immediately for editing, dailies, etc.

Now Sony Claus, I am sure other will have additional wishes, but this is a good start...
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:40 AM   #2
Major Player

One feature I wish my Z1 had is the ability to downconvert to 480p.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Now Sony Claus, I am sure other will have additional wishes, but this is a good start...
...AMEN!!!!!
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Area 51, where Sony Claus will have a better chance of seeing it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris: an elf told me that they're working on something along those lines for you, and you can find more info about it at the following link.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...AMHD_broch.pdf
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Oh, I forgot something-- pricing at FX1/Z1 levels....
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

When reindeer can fly...

:-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
When reindeer can fly...

:-)
Hey, put 'em in a cargo hold of a 747, they fly with the best of 'em.

So Sony's running out of metaphorical excuses:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Major Player

But for us po' folk, I'd be happy with just improved light levels and 24p...

... Okay, and better compression rate:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Honestly, I'd be happy with a second FX1/Z1U with a bit better low light capabilities (without turning up the gain) and a little more zoom...probably would need some bigger chips, which would also shorten the depth of field (something else I would love) 24p would be nice, but I'd rather have 60p for slow-motion playback. A higher resolution LCD would be awesome too, sometimes it's hard to check the focus while recording!
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

But the gain is so clean on the Z1/FX1, I love that about the camera.

heath
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
Honestly, I'd be happy with a second FX1/Z1U with a bit better low light capabilities (without turning up the gain) and a little more zoom...probably would need some bigger chips, which would also shorten the depth of field (something else I would love) 24p would be nice, but I'd rather have 60p for slow-motion playback. A higher resolution LCD would be awesome too, sometimes it's hard to check the focus while recording!
Yes, I think a bit more reach on the zoom would make the camera better for nature and sports videography. Right now I put a 58mm 1.7 Teleextender (HG1758) on the FX-1 and that helps, but it is a bit soft, and I also lose lower end zoom range.

Perhaps the interchangeable lens thing is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking of the "film look" crowd when I suggested that some manufacturer someday may have to consider a well designed 35mm adapter system. I would seem to me that an interchangeable design with a specially designed "35mm adapter" would be a heck of a selling point. I think someone in Itally already took one of the FX1 or Z1s apart and bolted on their own one piece adapter. Been a while since I saw that.

So as far as more light, I'm thinking 3 cmos chips will help that. Sony already has a 3 cmos sd, and a single cmos HD (A1, HC3 and HC1), so why not go the next step... is there a technical issue there ?

I am surprised how well slow motion does come out with my FX1 footage. I've gone down to 40% speed with a pretty good result. Lower than that it becomes a little more problematical.
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Chris,

I agree about the slomo--I remember doing some slomo with XL1 footage a few years back and the quality dropped like a rock!

heath
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
One feature I wish my Z1 had is the ability to downconvert to 480p.
Actually, SonyClaus already granted that wish. The Z1 can downconvert to 480p.... 576p also - look at your manual. The caveat is that the conversion is only available on the analog component outputs and not via firewire.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

You can do 480i via the firewire, but I like to downconvert in my NLE for a higher quality DV format than just donwconverting from the camera.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7