Plans to release the next FX1 version? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Trustee

Plans to release the next FX1 version?

I am wondering if Sony has any plans to upgrade the FX1 or the Z1U? I thought they might have said something at NAAB, but I haven't heard anything. Any ideas?
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Nothing at NAB. I think they just talked about XDCAM HD, the F330 and F350 CineAltas.

heath
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

There are always rumors about new cameras, usually they're wrong but who knows? Like we always say around here, if you need a camera now then buy it now and don't look back. But if you can wait, there's always something new and improved on the horizon...
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

They released those mystery decks with full size HDV tapes, Im curious as to see what goes with that.
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

There is scuttlebut about a 3 chip 3 cmos, HD replacement to replace the FX1/Z1 line and to compete with Canon's new offerings-- supposedly before first of year.
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

they should announce that soon if they would like to cut into the Canon sales this fall.
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

But Boyd is right, who knows what will come? I certainly don't, but I can dream and hope, too. And if you need a camera now, buy one, there are plenty of good ones out there.

And don't go selling and buying cameras, because you won't be a better filmmaker or videographer if you're buying the latest and greatest instead of using what you have and getting good at it.

I'd be rich if I got a buck for every person who told me that using a non-24p camera like the Z1 won't shoot a movie well, even if I'm using software or workflows.

I'm always excited by new technology, but I always try to stick with what I have (I used to not live by that philosophy, and it became VERY expensive) and get great with it, unless I need to upgrade.

And to echo Boyd, if you need a camera now, an FX1 or Z1 would be great, but if you can wait and see if and when Sony puts out their next potential cameras, go for it. I have a movie shooting in less than two months, so I'm going to use what I and my DP are comfortable with.

heath
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There might soon be a Pro AVCHD cam possibly with a removable HDD? That's what I think.
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Sounds interesting, but Sony has said repeatedly that AVCHD will only be consumer. HDV will probably last for a while.

hwm
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Major Player

The main reason I'd love a new FX2/Z2U to come out is because I'd really like a Z1 or another FX1, and I'll be more than happy to buy one of yours when you want to get the new ones! I also like to drool over the new stuff as I wait for all the potential bugs to be worked out...

Also as far as the whole AVCHD thing, I don't mind the compression on HDV all that much, but there is NO WAY I'd want a camera that records in a format even more compressed than HDV...when I move away from HDV I'll want a less compressed image that I can play around with more, with computers getting faster and faster and storage getting cheaper and cheaper...there's no real need for a more compressed image for anyone except consumers...That is why AVCHD is pitched as a consumer format
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Noah,

I love being able to test gear, because it keeps me from buying it while still checking it out for reviews at www.hdvinfo.net and here!

Other than the infamous HD10/HD1, I feel like these second- and third-"gen" HDV cameras have been great!

heath
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I hope your right.
I've seen a pic. Relax... all is good.

*Maybe* not a straight replacement for FX1, but certainly at least will run alongside (for time being). Smaller, looks bit like a VX2100.
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #13
Major Player

from the picture,,,just tape?AVCHD?
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
from the picture,,,just tape?AVCHD?
Tape, HDV. 3CMOS. Looks visually like a cross between VX2100 and FX1. BIG optical zoom, somewhere between 19x and 21x, allegedly.
(& maybe even... a zoom rocker button rather than a toggle!)
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Stu,
Where did you see the pic for this cam? (Don't tell me if you have to kill me afterwards)
But was there anything else in particular about the cam, other than the increased optical zoom that seemed more advanced than the FX1?
(not holding breath for 24p/f) :) but with such a heavy duty lens, and having 3 new chips, and the body description fitting a prosumer model, what was it that indicated this camera wouldn't be a replacement for the FX1?
Now that the G1 and A1 are out of the bag, it'd be a little difficult for Sony to try and pull any punches, and if what you say is true about the specs, particularly the lens, it sounds like they're gearing up to go head to head directly with Canon. (without the 24p/f of course) :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7