New version of the FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 7th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #1
Major Player

New version of the FX1

Just letting you guys know that Sony will be releasing an HDR-FX7 (for discussion and specs, go here).

Is anyone thinking of selling their FX1s or Z1s? Their value is definitely going to drop a bit in the next little while so if you want to upgrade, now's probably the time to sell. I for one am happy with my Z1 so I'll be keeping it for awhile.

I think it would probably be best not to get into Z7 speculation, as per board rules.
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
Is anyone thinking of selling their FX1s or Z1s?
Nope. From your link, the FX7 doesn’t seem to have XLR’s so I won’t be selling my Z1 any time soon. (I may pick up an FX7 as a second cam though) ;-)

~jr
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #3
Major Player

What do you think the purpose in making it smaller is?? before long videographers are going to have to get hand reductions to run these little cameras. Also tripods are going to have to be made out of lead to keep these feather cameras steady. Just a question
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

It looks to me like it’s the same size as the VX2100/PD170 so it’s actually not smaller. It’s just that the FX1/Z1 was bigger. ;-)

~jr
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It's disappointing that they're still using a capture resolution of 960x1080 (like the fx1) and now going 1440x1080 native (as the new Canon XH models will). Definitely not an "upgrade" of the FX1 to replace the model. Hopefully Sony has more announcements to come soon...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Major Player

I have seen where it is 25% smaller than the FX1 and 40% lighter.
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Guys,

Remember, it's consumer, and, a smaller camera is always nicer. 3 CMOS is very cool.

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Major Player

No question it is consumer type camera, no XLR inputs, 8 lux, great camera to handhold the trip to the ZOO. Sony is definitly focused on the consumer and tapeless aquisition side of things right now. Sony remember you make a big DVcam type HDV tape now, give us a HDV camera that accepts these tapes. Amazing the consumer camera is 20 by zoom and the Z1 prosumer camera cant even get there with a Century teleconverter. Bet Canon is fealing pretty good today. Sony we believe in you just dont make the Z1 a toy in the future.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
No question it is consumer type camera, no XLR inputs, 8 lux, great camera to handhold the trip to the ZOO. Sony is definitly focused on the consumer and tapeless aquisition side of things right now. Sony remember you make a big DVcam type HDV tape now, give us a HDV camera that accepts these tapes. Amazing the consumer camera is 20 by zoom and the Z1 prosumer camera cant even get there with a Century teleconverter. Bet Canon is fealing pretty good today. Sony we believe in you just dont make the Z1 a toy in the future.
Sony has two divisions, consumer and professional. Sony consumer has the FX1/7, HC3 and pro has Z1, PD170, F900, etc.

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Sony also has there XDCam which aquires to Blue Ray Disk. What i have seen over the past few months from Sony is a huge push in there marketing campaign for small consumer cameras and anything and everything Blue Ray. I know in the past couple of days they have made it back to the Prosumer/Professional tape driven products and I'm glad to see that. I thought for a while they were going to put all there eggs in one basket, the Blue Ray basket. I am real glad to see they have come out with a new Z1, cant wait to see the tests between the new Z1 and Canons new XH, let the games begin.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

I may be wrong, but I think the Z1 is staying around and the V1 is a whole new camera.

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Wrangler

Yes, if you look at the sonybiz links in the V1 thread they say that the Z1 is their "flagship" model and this is just a new addition to the line.

Quote:
Sony today announced the addition of its latest professional HDV camcorder, the HVR-V1E, to its wide range of professional HDV products, which includes Sony's first and flagship HDV professional camcorder, the HVR-Z1E and the compact and lightweight HVR-A1E.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I dont think the FX7 is native 16:9 so I dont think any prosumers will be trading their FX1 for it.
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

It is indeed--HDV is widescreen by default.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

heath
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I am going to search now for the article I read stating it isnt actually 16:9. Maybe I am mistaken. I will f/u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
It is indeed--HDV is widescreen by default.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

heath
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7