IBC: Sony announces HVR-V1e - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #136
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis
In my opinion V1 is aimed towards journalists and certainly there will be a Z2 alternative with the same CMOS technology at 1/3 inch, hopefully towards NAB.
Yes those are pretty much my thoughts too - it's my opinion that the principal reason Sony went with 1/4in CMOS sensors on the V1 are these :

1) They could meet their 'target' (specs/performance) for this FX7/V1 project with 1/4in. CMOS sensors.

2) They intend to use 1/3in CMOS sensors for a "Z2" at some point (no idea when) so they needed to use slightly smaller sensors in FX7/V1 to stop it peforming TOO well, and leave a gap for something else higher up their (future) product line. Classic Sony product positioning, i think we'll see a 3CMOS 1/3in. cam sometime next year maybe, at a guess.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #137
Trustee

I think Sony couldn’t have fit 3 1/3rd inch chips inside that body considering all the extra stuff such as a 20X lens for example. Every HD camcorder with 3 1/3rd inch size chips are all bigger than the PD 150/170. The same goes for the XH-G1/A1 since Canon only managed to make the body a little bit smaller than the Z1u.

With that said, Sony could probably have made the camcorder a little bit smaller than it already is but then again the LUX rating would have been worse by decreasing the diameter of the lens. You got to admit that having a US LUX rating of 4 for 3 HD ¼ of and inch chips is quite impressive.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #138
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I don't see alot of TV crews with this size of camera in the US. I bet they wish they did sometimes.
News in the USA is most often a "standup" in front of a camera deal. But, the real area of competition is when there is breaking news and war. This is where a carry-on-the-plane and keep you head down type of camcorder that is HD will be important. HD news will folks will not repeat the purchase errors of the past. Light and fast will be what they need.
Old September 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #139
Major Player

You see more small light weight camera's with news crews overseas,,,and like you said in war zones.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #140
Major Player

I believe its aimed towards journalists because a smaller and lighter camcorder can be sneaked more easilly and also because smaller chips means greater DOF which is a plus for journalists turned cameramen. Also bear in mind that in small countries around the world SONY because of the BETACAM dominance, has a positive brand recognition and service facilities to cater any arising need that nor Panasonic, neither Canon can boast. In my country I see more and more newspeople sporting small camcorders instead of shouldermount ones, especially in more risky situations.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #141
MPS Digital Studios

I still think from footage I've seen, and not the footage we have linked to, but other footage, that filmmakers like me will love this camera. Also based on the killer footage I've seen, I agree that videographers, journalists and others will love this camera.

heath
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #142
Trustee

Your right about the camcorder becoming very popular Health.
The problem with the footage that got shown is that I don’t think it got white balanced and there were obviously different light sources. At least the footage showed how good Sony’s progressive mode works. Unless Panasonic releases a camcorder this year, I may end up getting the V1 since I'm already used to using the HC1 and the Z1u.
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #143
MPS Digital Studios

That wasn't the footage I saw. It was from the V1.

heath
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #144
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
That wasn't the footage I saw. It was from the V1.

heath
This is the one I’m talking about and it is from the V1
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=70864
Its also the one that you saw
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #145
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
This is the one I’m talking about and it is from the V1
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=70864
Its also the one that you saw
Actually, no it wasn't. That's the V1e you're referring to, I saw footage from the V1. I can't really say anything else, because I'm bound by NDA stuff. But the footage was incredible.

heath
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #146
Major Player

I can't wait to see some footage. I couldn;t watch the HDV stuff from IBC only the few seconds of DV. Hard to really tell much.

I'd sure like to get some real reviews from the Vq and the Canon A1. Maybe next week.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #147
MPS Digital Studios

The V1e stuff from IBC is blah, oh well. But what I've seen is killer of the V1.

heath
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #148
Major Player

lot's of questions, but I know you can't say anything. It should be interesting to see how it compares to the Canon A1. Now if only Panasonic would throw something out there too!

My money is starting to burn a whole in my pocket. But with some of the camera's coming out,,,I think it might be worth holding out.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #149
Major Player

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22...tachment-1.jpg
Attached Images

Old September 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #150
Major Player

or this one?
Attached Images

Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7