DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   I am confused - New cameras less expensive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/75628-i-am-confused-new-cameras-less-expensive.html)

Darrin Altman September 16th, 2006 12:14 PM

I am confused - New cameras less expensive

I just cant understand why the newer models are listed as less expensive than the older ones. The FX-1 is listed at $200 more at Sonystyle.com than the newer FX-7. Do I upgrade to a less expensive unit? Or is it not considered an upgrade?

Help me out.

Steve Nunez September 16th, 2006 12:20 PM

The FX1 and FX7 are two totally different cameras and are NOT aimed towards the same end-user. The FX7 is the more "consumer" of the 2 cameras with the FX1 geared towards "high-end enthusiasts."

Boyd Ostroff September 16th, 2006 01:49 PM

Also realize that the FX7 has 1/4" CCD's and the FX1 has 1/3" CCD's. However the FX7's true progressive mode makes this an interesting trade-off.

Stu Holmes September 16th, 2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
However the FX7's true progressive mode makes this an interesting trade-off.

Hi Boyd - i think its just the V1 with the progressive scan mode/feature but i could be wrong on that.

Hideaki Anno September 16th, 2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Hi Boyd - i think its just the V1 with the progressive scan mode/feature but i could be wrong on that.

You said right, only V1 can do progressive scan mode.

Boyd Ostroff September 16th, 2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes

Thanks Stu, I need to familiarize myself a little better with these new models. With a little luck, an opportunity to do that might materialize before long. :-)

Paulo Teixeira September 16th, 2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
The FX1 and FX7 are two totally different cameras and are NOT aimed towards the same end-user. The FX7 is the more "consumer" of the 2 cameras with the FX1 geared towards "high-end enthusiasts."

From what I’ve read, the FX7 is better than the FX1 in every category except for allegedly being worse in low light situations. During day shooting this camcorder should outshine the FX1 and its lens goes up to 20X.

I will say the same about comparing the Z1 to the V1 and having a progressive mode is a plus.

Bill Pryor September 18th, 2006 09:07 AM

The new camera only has 1/4" chips--not in the same category as the FX1 at all.

Kevin Shaw September 18th, 2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
From what I’ve read, the FX7 is better than the FX1 in every category except for allegedly being worse in low light situations. During day shooting this camcorder should outshine the FX1 and its lens goes up to 20X.

I can't see how the FX7 would be better if it has smaller sensors, but I suppose we'll hear more about that soon enough. Either way the new Canon XH-A1 sounds better at an aggressive price, so I'd be looking at those before the Sonys if I was shopping for a camera today. (Saying that as an owner of three Sony HDV cameras.)

John Rofrano September 18th, 2006 01:31 PM

The new FX7 has 3 CMOS chips while the FX1 has 3 CCD chips! CCD’s are more expensive which is one reason why the FX7 is less expensive.

~jr

Heath McKnight September 18th, 2006 05:47 PM

John is right about that!

heath

Paulo Teixeira September 18th, 2006 07:49 PM

The image quality of the HC1 and the HC3 is almost as good as a Z1u during day shooting and the HV10 may very well have an image that is arguably better than the Z1u during the same lighting conditions. In these comparisons you are comparing camcorders with a 1/3 of an inch CMOS chip against a camcorder that has 3 1/3 inch CCDs. So it wouldn’t be surprising to see a camcorder with 3 CMOS chips being only ¼ of an inch having a picture quality that is better than all of the HDV camcorders.

Basically the only thing that the FX1 and the Z1 has over the FX7 and V1 is being more sensitive to light because of the larger imagers which is a difference of 1 LUX or about 25% but when you consider a lens that is almost 2X to the FX1/Z1u, a 40% smaller body, HDMI output, progressive scan, and the potential to have an image quality that is better than all of the HDV camcorders that I mentioned earlier, the tradeoff is worth it.

Besides the Z1, I actually see the V1 as a much better value than even XH-G1.

Dave Ferdinand September 18th, 2006 08:51 PM

B&H has the FX1 for $3,100 and you can find them for less than 3k on ebay.

If the FX7 is going to retail at $3,500 than it will be at least the same street price has the FX1.

I'm sure the FX1 will be discontinued early next year. Just speculating though.

Dave Ferdinand September 18th, 2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
The image quality of the HC1 and the HC3 is almost as good as a Z1u during day shooting and the HV10 may very well have an image that is arguably better than the Z1u during the same lighting conditions. In these comparisons you are comparing camcorders with a 1/3 of an inch CMOS chip against a camcorder that has 3 1/3 inch CCDs. So it wouldn’t be surprising to see a camcorder with 3 CMOS chips being only ¼ of an inch having a picture quality that is better than all of the HDV camcorders.

I agree... CMOS is the way of the future, look at RED. Manufacturers have just been controlling what we should buy and so far they decided CCD was the way.

Heath McKnight September 18th, 2006 10:27 PM

I agree, too. CMOS is better than ever, and cheaper than ever. I think we're moving towards it. CMOS is in RED, SI's camera the 1920, the Origin (I think), the Genesis (I think), etc. But I don't think manufacturers have been controlling it; rather, I think it's the fact that CMOS used to be not-so-good for video, but now it's great. Technology has come a long way.

heath