recording stereo on V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

recording stereo on V1

The V1 not having an in-built stereo mic, or even a regular minijack stereo input, what is the way to record stereo sound? Do you know of any stereo microphone shaped in such a way that it could go into the mic holder of the V1 instead of the mono shotgun? Or do one use the cold shoe for say the new Rode Stereo Videomic?

In both solution, I think a Stereo mini 3.5mm female to 2 XLR male Y-cable is needed, but my quick Google search yielded no results?

Anybody?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

There are several stereo XLR microphones you can choose from... one which comes to mind immediately is the Audio Technica AT835ST Stereo Shotgun Microphone, for about $945. No doubt there are other makes and models which aren't quite as expensive, but this is a good one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

XLR stereo...

The V1 XLR audio input works just like the camera it replaces.. the PD-170
I don't know of a web based operation manual for the PD-170 but there is
one for the PD-150 if you google for it, then you can read how to use it.

Normally the on-board mike is used for background audio on one of the channels... the other channel is either connected to a mike with a long
cord, like using it for a news cast, or can be used with a wireless mike..., like
using it for a wedding.

In the case of the the wireless mike the receiver is plugged into one of the channels of the XLR input...

Of course you could also put two wireless mikes or two mikes with long wires
to get the sterio sound too.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for your answers, but of course I'd beinterested in some cheaper solutions, for which a minijack stereo to 2 mono male XLR cable would be required... Do such cables exist?
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Yes they exist... see http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

But I still think you're better off with a stereo XLR mic as I stated above.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #6

The cables exist, but noise is a big factor. The reason no professional camcorder has 3.5mm inputs is because as a rule, 3.5mm ended cables are unbalanced. You can't run an unbalanced cable over any distance of merit without RF or EMF becoming a serious challenge. You *need* the balanced format to reject noise from the mic line.
That said, there isn't a professional mic manufactured (to my knowledge) that uses a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Yes they exist... see http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

But I still think you're better off with a stereo XLR mic as I stated above.
Thanks Chris, but this one seems to be the other way around (female XLR). But generally, I agree an XLR balanced sterero mic will be best, so... I'm saving even harder!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Just add a pair of XLR gender changers...

And when it comes to adapter cables, you can get pretty much *anything* to *anything.*

A simple internet search should turn them up easily.

Old October 11th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
There are several stereo XLR microphones you can choose from... one which comes to mind immediately is the Audio Technica AT835ST Stereo Shotgun Microphone, for about $945. No doubt there are other makes and models which aren't quite as expensive, but this is a good one.
Chris, what do you think of this one:
http://www.edirol.com/products/cs50/cs50.html
Edirol is Roland's brand; do the specs look OK? It's cheaper that the Audio Technica's AT835ST, has the same diameter but is shorter - I reckon it could easily be mounted on the V1 and replace it's own mono shotgun when recording stereo is required. Do you know if its sound quality is good enough?
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The reason no professional camcorder has 3.5mm inputs is because as a rule, 3.5mm ended cables are unbalanced. You can't run an unbalanced cable over any distance of merit without RF or EMF becoming a serious challenge. You *need* the balanced format to reject noise from the mic line..
Since three conductor 3.5mm plugs/lacks clearly exist, there's no reason for XLRs from a noise reduction persepective. Any 3 conductor system will work.

XLR's do offer 100% security, but a simple cable clamp could do the same. And, once one has used Apple's magnetic power connector -- one releases a "break-away" connector is a REALLY much better idea.

Moreover, for an on-board mic or a wireless mic receiver, we are talking about a 6-inch cable run. In fact, you can buy several "pro" mics in 3.5mm version for just this reason. For such short runs, noise reduction isn't needed.

The real disadvantage of 3.5mm is they are typically made cheaply and can make noise at the connection. Mics used to use Phone-plugs which made very good contact. I think there are "minature" versions. These have the advantage that you need not worry about orientation and the male/female versions are obvious!

Did they remove the 3.5mm jack from the V1?
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

..according to Sony, no 3.5 external mic input...
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, the lack of 3.5 mm input is the reason I'm looking around for XLR stereo mic. Otherwise, I'd just buy sth like the new Stereo Videomic from Rode, which is much cheaper
Old October 13th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Major Player

Edirol Mic for V1

Thought you would be interested in this mic - price is $ 500 online - (BH Photovideo) - it is apparently the same size as the mono mic provided with the camera: http://www.edirol.com/products/cs50/cs50.html. This mic is 2 inches shorter and half the price of the audio-technica also the cable provided is 6 feet long so here is where to find a cable 1 foot long (more approriate for this camera): http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...-XLRF5-XLRM3-2
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7