HVR-V1U Ergonomics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Sure would be nice to see a picture of the Z1 next to a V1 next to a PD170.
I ended up selling my Z1 because it was just too large for my wife to use. We were using the HC1 because its nice and small. I have a vx2000 which we had no issue using. So, is the V1 the same size as the vx2000, or larger?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Sure would be nice to see a picture of the Z1 next to a V1 next to a PD170.
Ask and ye shall receive :-)

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../ov_lineup.jpg

This comes from Sony's V1 website:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../overview.html

However I think the photos I posted earlier in the thread should give you a pretty good idea of the size. Of course, nothing beats actually holding the camera yourself. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few more months for that...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #18
Trustee

Dave
Go to Sony's site here: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../overview.html
It shows a grid with all of these cameras superimposed. Shows the relative sizes nicely.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Well, I guess I will need to hold one. I had the z1 and HC1. The two are totally different in size. But, looking at this drawings, it does not jump out at me. Dont know why, just does not.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
Is the zoom smooth or does it start and stop harshly?

I too am interested in this feature. Can anybody (that has tested this cam) enlighten us about this?

I really like the way the Panasonic HVX/DVX cams have a "real" manual zoom; with no lag.

Does this cams zoom ring react/feel the same as the Panny's?

AC
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #21
Major Player

I have seen enough footage taken with V1 to see clearly that the zoom is smooth and slow zooms are achievable. Also i have read other comments independently, that say more or less the same thing, so i don't think the zoom is a concern at all on that front.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #22
Wrangler

I'm curious about the LANC implementation myself. My Z1 can do a very slow, smooth zoom using the rocker switch. But the LANC controller cannot access the slow speeds and you are limited to a rather fast zoom. See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55047

I hope they've corrected this on the V1!
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I'm curious about the LANC implementation myself. My Z1 can do a very slow, smooth zoom using the rocker switch. But the LANC controller cannot access the slow speeds and you are limited to a rather fast zoom. See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55047

I hope they've corrected this on the V1!
I believe that they may well have : for sure on top of the V1 there's a 3-way switch that is marked as a 'connector' to the zoom rocker so i'm pretty sure that changes the zoom rate.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #24
Major Player

Manually zooming...

I guess I wasn't quite clear in my previous post regarding the zoom ring.

If anybody has used the DVX/HVX cams, you'll know that when "manually" using the zoom ring, it reacts like a "real lens" zoom ring.

Now on the Sony cams (from the VX1000 'til present day cams) have a manual zoom ring as well. BUT...when you manually turn the zoom ring, it does not respond like a "real lens" or DVX/HVX zoom ring does. (The only Sony cam I can recall that had the feel and action of a true manual zoom ring was the VX3. Sweet cam...for it's time.)

So my question is: Does the Sony V1 have the same type of zoom ring action as Sony's previous (digital) cam's or is the action/feel the same as a "real lens" or DVX/HVX?

AC
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #25
Wrangler

I think the zoom ring on the Z1 responds pretty much like a "real" lens. It has repeatable positions and end stops. But the problem is, it's too coarse to get a slow smooth zoom. I believe the V1 has reverted to a free rotating ring with no end stops, like the VX and PD cameras. They have the disadvantage that the ring positions are not repeatable, but they allow you to do a very smooth, slow zoom and I miss that on my Z1.
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #26
Trustee

From what I can tell from reviews of the FX7, the focus ring and LCD monitor sound similar to what is on the FX1/Z1. That is good news. Even better is that both the rocker and zoom ring can be used without making a menu change, unlike the FX1.

The auto-focus has a manual "touchup" feature? Sounds interesing.

The aperture/exposure wheel is selectable in how it operates! This may even be better than the FX1 except for the fact that it is small. I can live with small, but I can't live with "stupid" exposure controls.

I am starting to get really excited about the V1/FX7! It sounds like the ergonomics are mostly there and the lack of smearing in CMOS chips sounds like a godsend. That will make things like sky replacement so much easier since the subjects in the foreground won't be lost in the "bloom" of the sky.

I'm happy with the look that software provides converting 60i to 24/30P, so I'm starting to think the FX7 may be the way to go for me...

Are there any "killer" features of the V1 that would make the wait and expense worthwhile? Will both cameras have the same exposure latitude?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #27
Wrangler

From what I can tell from reviews of the FX7, the focus ring and LCD monitor sound similar to what is on the FX1/Z1.

The LCD looked fine. I think the resolution is a little lower than the Z1 however.

Even better is that both the rocker and zoom ring can be used without making a menu change, unlike the FX1

It can be a bit annoying not to use both on the Z1. There's a switch on the the Z1 to select the ring vs the rocker (maybe I don't understand your menu reference?). The Z1 has a calibrated zoom ring with end stops. If they had made the rocker and ring both active then they would have needed a servo to turn the ring in response to the rocker. On the Z1, try zooming halfway in using the ring, then flip the switch to the rocker and zoom out full wide. Now flip the switch back to the ring and the camera will automatically zoom halfway in to where you set it before switching to the rocker. By changing the V1 to a non calibrated free spinning zoom ring they eliminated this issue, but both approaches have their advantages.

The auto-focus has a manual "touchup" feature? Sounds interesing.

I didn't look closely at this, but I think it's just "focus assist" which the Z1, but not the FX1, has. If you enable it then you can take manual focus by turning the ring at any time while the camera is in autofocus mode.

The aperture/exposure wheel is selectable in how it operates!

I don't think I noticed this feature. On the Z1 you can select which direction the wheel turns, is that what you mean?

I agree it looks like a really nice camera though. The differences with the FX7 are similar to the differences with between the FX1 and Z1.
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #28

[QUOTE=Boyd Ostroff][i]

The aperture/exposure wheel is selectable in how it operates!

I don't think I noticed this feature. On the Z1 you can select which direction the wheel turns, is that what you mean?

QUOTE]

Yes, it has four modes in which it may operate, and using the auto switch for the iris, you can enable/disable the mode you've selected in the menu. You can have iris change and add gain, change and modify shutter speed, straight iris, or AE adjustment.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7