V1 truly worth it over the Z1? 1080p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 truly worth it over the Z1? 1080p?

Hey guys,
I'm really trying to figure out which cam I should pick up next (which will be soon), but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the V1 is the right choice, or if I should jump w/ the bigger brother of the Z1. I would definitely like the 24p that is offered by the V1, but what are some benefits of the Z1 that the V1 will not have? Also, will it be true 1080p when shot in 24p/30p mode i.e. when imported in FCP we would need a new mode to handle 1080p, or will we still be working in a 1080i workspace? I read it's wrapped in a 1080i container, what issues will this pose when editing?

Thanks everyone.
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i dislike interlace .. so any camera that can shoot progressive would be my choice over as interlace camera .... fine with me if they wrap 24/30p into interlace thing .. for 24p remove pull down ... 30p edit normal -change NLE prefs to 30p ( 29.97) progressive ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Major Player

According to the lux ratings, the Z1 will have better lowlight performance, though that can only be determined by actually comparing the two in December, when the v1 comes out. Or by comparing the fx7 if that comes out earlier.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
According to the lux ratings, the Z1 will have better lowlight performance, though that can only be determined by actually comparing the two in December, when the v1 comes out. Or by comparing the fx7 if that comes out earlier.
Videoaktiv.de have already done this i believe.

Article is out on the web, and a more full article is out in print by that German magazine.

THe conclusion is that the FX7 performs comparably with the FX1. Some differences, yes, and the low light isn't quite as good, but more or less pretty similar, with the advantages of a smaller and lighter machine.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Test the camera when it comes out at a dealer (a reputable one) and see how it feels, etc.

heath
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree totally with Heath. I would add that it's not just about which camera is better but which one is better for your and your clients' situations and needs. Which one is better in your post and distribution workflow.

Having said all that, and as an FX-1 owner, (couldn't afford the Z-1), I would nonetheless love to be able to afford the opportunity of being able to choose between the two cameras. Have fun evaluating!
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

I don't own a camera anymore, but I use the Z1 and DVX100a daily, and this camera has me excited. It's like a combo of the two, which is what I've been hoping for, since you can do a lot of similar things as both cameras. This is truly what I've been hoping for in a camera, and didn't get it in the HVX200 (sorry, HVX fans, and yes, I've used it--for a month straight) or the HD100 (used it several times).

heath
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Major Player

I am also considering both the Z1 and the V1. I do believe that the V1 is going to be an extraordinary camera, but the Z1 is also a very good camera. And from what I understand, the Z1 will remain in production... and will be priced above the V1. If the V1 is cheaper, why would you want to buy a Z1 for a higher price? So something still tells me that the Z1 will hold its ground.

And I still do not understand if the V1 has native 24p or that it uses in-camera interlacing and thus achieves 24p through a in-camera trick?

I hope someone can answer my question. Douglas Spotted Eagle might be able to, as I know he has a lot of experience with the Z1 camera.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #9
Trustee

Well the Z1 still has the option of switching between PAL and NTSC. This alone is a great feature not found on many other cameras in this price range. The V1 will not have this option which may be worth the extra cost for those who really need a universal HDV camera for any world market.

If you already have a Z1 and shoot mostly interlaced video for events such as weddings there may also be little reason to get the V1 since you may never even use any of the progressive modes. You have to ask yourself if you will even ever use progressive video at all because a lot of people never will.

With that said I do think the V1 will be a great camera and is yet another sign that HDV is here to stay as a serious format.

One thing you do have to think about is that with recent comparisons between all the current cameras the conclusion of many of the testers was that for the most part all HDV cameras were fairly equal. Some did some things better while others filled other gaps. There is no such thing as the perfect sub $10,000.00 HD camera. Each camera does fit certain people better than others and I would have to think the V1 will be the same. Some people will love it and some will think other cameras are better.

To me the different HDV cameras are more like film stocks. They are all 35mm film but they all have a different look be it either more grain, softer or a different tone and color value. Some people prefer some film stocks over others just like some people prefer a certain HDV camera look to others. The was true with DV cameras. The XL1 and VX1000 had different looks but at the end of the day they both both shot DV at 720x480 pixels and it all came down to which camera tickled you the right way.

You need to really get a feel for each camera by looking at it and deciding which one touches you the right way to fit your personality. Everybody has a different view of what looks good to them so you cannot really take a few peoples word for fact on if you will like the camera or not. I realize it may be hard and sometimes impossible to exame every HDV camera out there but thats is why we all look at samples and no have great people on here to do camera shoot outs like the one done in Texas. For the first time ever we have been able to look at each camera in similar settings and figure out which one works best for us without any tech crap. Sadly they may have to do the test all over again with all the new cameras coming out this year.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Thomas, thanks a lot for you helpful answer. First of all, I have missed the whole Texas shoot-out thing. Where can I find the test footage so I can compare the cameras included in that test.

I am planning to shoot both documentaries and short films. In the meantime, I want to make some money as a wedding/party videographer. But at the end, my goals to become a famous film/documentary maker. But by the time I arrive there, many generations of cameras will have passed.

For now, I only want a camera that enables me to develop my skills in a convenient way, with all possible manual controls. So I want to buy a package (camera, wide-angle, batteries, videolight) and go for it. Both the V1, Z1 and XH-A1 look very promising and from my limited knowledge, will enable me to develop my skills and qualities. But still, I have to choose one of those three cameras and that's where I need some help.

I will probarbly go to a store and have some hands-on experience, but I will not be able to really compared them with my limited knowledge. I will leave that to the experts. As I explained above, I will start with documentaries. I have three documentaries planned at this moment. When I master the camera I buy, I want to start with parties and weddings.

I hope you can help me a bit more after reading this explanation.
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Texas HD Roundup data DVD sets are coming. They're just late, like everything else.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Major Player

They will sell the results on a DVD? Or how do I see this?
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Comfortable with my conservative choice - Z1

I bought the Z1 last June after considering many alternatives. Among the reasons for the choice were the good low light performance compared to other HD cams in this price range, the assortment of features, the prior skill I had built up with Sony's earlier cams like the PD150, and the fact that over 50,000 Z1s were in use.

The V1 and its consumer brother Fx7 look pretty good on paper, but I have no regret about going Z1. It is done well for many users, and I am working with the goal of making the best possible footage for my clients. Somehow, I am not enamored with the 24p thing in that regard.

I will be in the market for a second HDV camera and may go for the V1 or Fx7 once I see how the initial units have done and the bugs are worked out.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

The V1 seems pretty cool so far. I'm going to be checking it out more soon.

heath
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #15
Major Player

An official short list from Sony of the differences between V1 and Z1 (its for the European version but I think the only difference from the American version is 24p instead of 25p)
..........................................V1........................Z1

vertical resolution..................800 lines.................650 lines
min illumination......................4 lux......................3 lux
focal length..........................37.04-748...............32.5-390
progressive scan...................25p(1080 lines)........cineframe(540 lines)
LCD....................................16:9 211K................16:9 250k
60/50 switchable...................No......................... Yes
camera profile.......................Yes.........................No
smooth slow rec....................Yes.........................No
color correction.....................No..........................Yes
still pic................................1.2Mpixels.................No
rec time NP-F970..................8 hoursv...................6.5 hours
weight................................1.5Kg.......................2Kg
Price..................................4600 Euros................5500 Euros

My addition: greater DoF for V1 over the Z1 (due to smaller chip size).

Hope this helps.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7