Suprised at Sony - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #31
MPS Digital Studios

While I took yesterday off from my film, some of the crew went out and shot some very, very cool stuff with the V1. As soon as I get the okay, I'll post some stuff up!

heath
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #32
Trustee

Heath, it's been about an hour, did you get the ok yet? (Kidding). I'd love to see the results when you do.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

Sure. It looks cool. Jon's a great DP.

heath
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #34
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Steve, you really like the V1 judging from your posts. Did you already hear from Sony if you are allowed to post some footage?
I only captured some of what I shot -- I ran out of time with the V1. From what I captured I'll pull shots for next Monday's HDV@Work Newsletter. This issue will reveal the "Secrets of 3ClearVid." :)

I also will be pulling shots for a series in Camcorderinfo.com.

And, I need to work more with 24p in EDIUS. If it will add pulldown, I promise I will post that. It looks good playing on my laptop!

In short I'm crazy busy and I leave for Asia in about 3 weeks. Must finish an HDV to PAL DVD project before I leave.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM   #35
Regular Crew

OK, now that we see the FX7 is in stock at B&H and for delivery....

can the testers now release some of the video they took with the V1/FX7 ???

surely the NDR is up now???

Again, I'm a bit suprised at Sony... The FX7 showed up at the exact time that the Canon Cam showed up in stores... but there's plenty of footage showing the capabilities of the Canon.

I did see an internet ad from Sony the other day, " fill in this questionaire " and
get a free V1 DVD... problem was the links wouldn't work for me... :-(

sure would like to see some of the test footage shot with the V1 posted...

thanx
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM   #36

The V1 is not the same as the FX7. I've never held the FX7, so have nothing to post from that particular camcorder.
I've posted a lot of V1 footage, but in the process of branding it so it doesn't find its way all over the web with others crediting themselves for the footage (which happened with the Z1/A1 footage we posted) it damages the quality of the file and we only hear whining. So...you'll have to wait until the V1 starts shipping, I suppose.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanx Douglas for being one of the few to post some footage with the V1...

But, we need to see more, low light, high light, inbetween shots....

Sony should have this demo footage on the web site by now... nothin, nada...

The mini site isn't even complete yet...

I guess Sony isn't concerned with the competition... Canon...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM   #38
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
Thanx Douglas for being one of the few to post some footage with the V1...

But, we need to see more, low light, high light, inbetween shots....

Sony should have this demo footage on the web site by now... nothin, nada...

The mini site isn't even complete yet...

I guess Sony isn't concerned with the competition... Canon...
Sony never worries about the competition. They will sell more V1 than they can produce. Moreover, the V1 doesn't go on sale until sometime in December.

I have V1 footage, but I see no reason to post anything but .m2t and that's not a practical thing to do. As DSE said, there's a whole heap of issues so it's simply not worth doing.

It's not like you can buy a V1 -- so why worry about it now?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM   #39
Major Player

I do not agree with that. On the Canon XH-A1 board, Kaku Ito posted around 25 .m2t files. So yes, it is possible. And when you post native files, what people see is what people get. It is as simple as that.

Sony obviously does not want footage to be released at this stage.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #40

Yes, KAKU ITO, not Canon, released about 25 clips. The problem is, when both the A1 and Z1 clips of pretty decent stuff were released by various folks, everyone bitched and moaned because they weren't the clips that folks wanted. Sony isn't preventing clips from being released; at this point I've got at least 30 hours of V1 footage in various scenarios.
1. I don't have the time to cull, brand, and upload.
2. It's no fun to go through the hassle of culling, branding, and uploading only to hear bitching and moaning about how it's not this, that, or the other thing.
Others and myself uploaded footage from the A1 in dark areas, light areas, high details, etc, and got comments of "oh, that's not dark enough, that's not bright enough to see how the latitude is, and snake skins aren't that detailed."

If Sony wants to pay me for my time to upload footage, then I'd happily do so. It takes a while on a DSL connection to upload a gig of file information, it costs money to host it, and it's frustrating to hear the whining.

It takes time to shoot, capture, compare, choose, brand, and upload for what? The undying whine of the people that aren't happy because you didn't shoot what they wanted to see, or disputing what you actually shot. Simon uploaded shots, got bitched at and argued with. I did the same, and got the same. Where is the incentive?

If I sound a bit bitter, it's likely because I am. After having uploaded footage from 5 different cams in the past 3 years...I think I've gotten perhaps 2-3 "thank you's" and easily 50-60 gripes.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:34 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Where is the incentive?

If I sound a bit bitter, it's likely because I am. After having uploaded footage from 5 different cams in the past 3 years...I think I've gotten perhaps 2-3 "thank you's" and easily 50-60 gripes.
It's a shame it has become a thankless task uploading clips from new cams. I am sure the treatment that was handed down to Simon also prevented him uploading any of the clips he had. I mean why bother.

The internet is no different to the "real world" where the thoughtless minority **** it up for the rest of us.

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; November 3rd, 2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Rumors belong in the Area 51 forum.
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
The internet is no different to the "real world" where the thoughtless minority **** it up for the rest of us.
We're trying hard to change that here at DV Info Net. It's been difficult given our explosive growth, but we're trying.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #43
Contributor

You need to put up a slogan: DVInfo.net...Changing the World One Whiner at a Time :)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The V1 is not the same as the FX7. I've never held the FX7, so have nothing to post from that particular camcorder.
I've posted a lot of V1 footage, but in the process of branding it so it doesn't find its way all over the web with others crediting themselves for the footage (which happened with the Z1/A1 footage we posted) it damages the quality of the file and we only hear whining. So...you'll have to wait until the V1 starts shipping, I suppose.
Spot, although the FX7 doesn' have the obvious things that the V1 has (Black stretch, balanced XLR audio, progressive filming).
From what I have been able to gather, doesn't the FX7 share the same CMOS optics.
So the visual quality of the 2 cameras (when not shooting progressive) would be the same? So video shot in low light and heavily backlit situations should be identicle (again I am stating, not progressive video but interlaced).
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Spot, although the FX7 doesn' have the obvious things that the V1 has (Black stretch, balanced XLR audio, progressive filming).
From what I have been able to gather, doesn't the FX7 share the same CMOS optics.
So the visual quality of the 2 cameras (when not shooting progressive) would be the same? So video shot in low light and heavily backlit situations should be identicle (again I am stating, not progressive video but interlaced).
effectively, yup. The V1 has more "grown up" DSP, but all things set to null, they'd be identical.
So, since FX7's are now on the shelf at B&H, we'll start seeing some real-world comments on it, and probably see some clips uploaded from camera owners.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7