Time Code features on V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Time Code features on V1

As I've never had a pro camcorder, I'd be grateful to someone knowledgeable for some practical hints (or links to some net reading) on the use of Time Code / User Bits etc. Of course I know what Time Code is, but my workflow with previous cameras and NLEs never really required the extra functionality the V1 offers (I'm sure all the Z1 users know what I'm talking about). BTW, does the Canon XH-A1 have it, too?
Following is the list of TC functions I'd appreciate some comments about (some are self-explanatory, of course):

TC Link
TC/UB Display
TC Preset
UP Preset
TC Format
TC Run
TC Make
UB Date Rec.
Zero Set Memory
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
As I've never had a pro camcorder, I'd be grateful to someone knowledgeable for some practical hints (or links to some net reading) on the use of Time Code / User Bits etc. Of course I know what Time Code is, but my workflow with previous cameras and NLEs never really required the extra functionality the V1 offers (I'm sure all the Z1 users know what I'm talking about). BTW, does the Canon XH-A1 have it, too?
Following is the list of TC functions I'd appreciate some comments about (some are self-explanatory, of course):

TC Link
TC/UB Display
TC Preset
UP Preset
TC Format
TC Run
TC Make
UB Date Rec.
Zero Set Memory
Seems like they are all there.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Seems like they are all there.
Yes I know Steve, but however dumb it may sound, I wouldn't know how to use them. Could you provide some short description of them?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

TC Link - this probably refers to TC jam sync via firewire, new on the V1, handy for syncing multiple (V1) cameras in free run mode (see below)

TC/UB Display - see TC or user bits in the display

TC Preset - set a starting timecode, could be zero, could be time of day, could be hour 1 for tape 1, etc.

UP Preset - should be UB Preset, user bits are an 8-bit word embedded in the timecode that can be set to anything you want, like tape number or whatever. Most NLEs do not give an option to view this, but you can view it on tape playback in the camera or recorder.

TC Format - will be DF or NDF, Drop Frame drops some frame counts so that timecode corresponds to real time even though the tape is not quite 30fps. NonDrop-Frame pretends that tape is 30fps. Contrary to popular belief, this all has nothing to do with the real frame rate, no frames are dropped, just counts. It can be a little disconcerting with DF when you go one frame forward in your NLE and the count changes from 1:29:27 to 2:00:00...

TC Run - record run or free-run. Some NLEs don't like free-run. Most people don't care. Anybody synching multiple cameras or dual-system audio wants free-run, meaning that the TC generator keeps on incrementing regardless of whether tape is running or not. This can lead to TC breaks that FCP doesn't like... Record-run is more like a tape counter.

TC Make - ummm, right. I forgot. Regen (regenerate) or ???

UB Date Rec. - record the date in the user bits.

Zero Set Memory - don't know. Reset TC & UB to 0?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Seth!
Does anybody know if similar options are available with the Canon XH-A1?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7