Deck for V1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Deck for V1

Does anyone know if Sony is coming out with new deck for the V1?
thanks
jack
Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I'm not 100% sure, but take a look at www.sony.com/hdv to see what's on the horizon. Like the DVX100a, there is a pulldown which keeps the 24p look, but puts it into a 60i stream. Which means any Sony camera or deck can actually play back and record (if the footage in an NLE is 24p/V1u) stuff from the camera/timeline.

I hear Vegas will be able to remove the pulldown shortly, and I'll bet dollars to donuts the other NLE guys and gals will follow suit.

heath
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

1080p

None of the decks Sony has on display have 1080p options, everything is 1080i. Seems to me they are going to need a new deck to accomadate 1080p24 and 30
jack
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foster
None of the decks Sony has on display have 1080p options, everything is 1080i. Seems to me they are going to need a new deck to accomadate 1080p24 and 30
jack
Jack,

Don't forget what I mentioned above...it's a progressive signal put into a 60i stream, much like the DVX100 series, and other cameras, actually. The pulldown (which does the signal into the stream) can be removed to get a progressive signal (again, soon I feel every NLE will allow this to happen the closer we get to release).

heath
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5

It's not expected/anticipated/necessary. This is one of the benefits of pulldown being inserted; it allows the tape to play from any deck. The NLE will remove the pulldown either on capture, or from the timeline.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
It's not expected/anticipated/necessary. This is one of the benefits of pulldown being inserted; it allows the tape to play from any deck. The NLE will remove the pulldown either on capture, or from the timeline.
Thanks for the follow-up, Spot.

heath
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #7
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Ah - an NLE will, but will a 1080P monitor? And does Sony have a deck with HDMI or DVI? (I'm not really familiar with the Sony HDV decks) I think there could be demand for a new deck for production facilities with these requirements. I'm not sure if you can remove the pulldown from the analogue outs?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Remember, first the camera, then the demand, finally the deck. But who knows what's up anyone's sleeves?

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

But will it play and record 1080p

Hi guys;
If I shoot in 1080p, I want to edit in 1080p and master back to 1080p.
Right now no Sony deck does that. I assume you can play 1080p out of the camera into the NLE but what do I master to?
jack
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #10

First, HDV isn't a delivery format; you need HDCAM or other delivery format for HD to broadcast. Additionally, HDV isn't the ideal mastering format. You likely want to master to a 4:2:2 YUV format for both delivery and archival purposes.

Second, the 24p/30p are carried in a stream that any Sony HDV deck or camera can read, as the information is deciphered by the NLE system, not by hardware.
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

SO the answer is

Hi
Of course mastering to a high end format is best but in a low budget studio its more partical to master to HDV and then have the HDV master bumped to a high end format properly at a facility with all the equipment. In fact very much like you would do if you shot a low budget feature on 16 and bumped it to 35.
SO if I understand what you are saying, any Sony HDV deck will play the 1080p and I will be abble to caputure it in my NLE as 1080p. I'll edit in 1080p and then I'll output to hard drive or something or back to the camera because none of the Sony HDV decks can record 1080p
SO is that the answer?
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Couldn't you just lay it back to tape via the camera? If it records the 1080p signal from the CCD, surely it does the same if it's in VCR mode, right?
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sure But

Hi Brian;
Sure I can lay back to the camera. But on a camera HDV casstte you can only record an hour of programing. So for a feature or anything longer you'd have put it on two cassettes. Of course a minor problem. But a deck that could hold larger cassttes would make it all that much easier. Bottom line no one seems to know if Sony is coming out with a new deck to accomadate the new features of the V1.
j
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #14

As said earlier in this same forum, sony just released new decks, and according to their engineering and marketing teams, there are no immediate plans to release new decks to "match" the V1 ability, simply because they don't need to. If you want longer record times, then get an M25U, as it provides up to 200+ minutes of record time. Just that you can't deliver it anywhere. No broadcaster will accept it, as they don't have the gear. HDCAM and D5 are common delivery formats for broadcast.
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

No 1080P Recording on any Sony Deck

As stated earlier; the M25U Sony deck does not record in 1080p. Therefore if I want to stay in 1080p I have to record back to the camera.

And I will repeat it is earier to master to HDV and take that HDV master to a proper facility and have them bump it to HDCAM or D5.
J

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; November 8th, 2006 at 03:58 PM. Reason: inflammatory content
Jack Foster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7