Anybody have FX7 footage yet? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 11th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #16
Trustee

Tony Tremble,
Your right about VLC having deinterlace options that eliminates the interlacing artifacts but to me the video quality of DIVX is more fluid and you don’t have to change anything in the menu.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Divx does the same, but chooses the method for you. If you want optimal control, VLC works better.
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

How come DIVX won't play these .m2t files??? I went to www.divx.com and downloaded the player, but it won't recognize .m2t files...
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #19
Regular Crew

John

I had the same problem. Divx didn't work for me either.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi guys.
VLC plays these files just fine for me. as does media player. The only suggestion i have is that you download the windows media HD codec. Don't know? good luck guys.

P.S. was anyone else dissapointed with the color levels being so low. My brother bought his wife the single chip HD and the footage looks very similar frankly. Is the FX1 like this???

Justin
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Boyle
P.S. was anyone else dissapointed with the color levels being so low. My brother bought his wife the single chip HD and the footage looks very similar frankly. Is the FX1 like this???

Justin
3-chip cameras generally major in color accuracy. If the color saturation as dialled-in by default is too low for your liking you simply increase the color saturation via the menu item on the cam. Or you could do it in a software editor.

Footage in good light will be fairly similar between most SonyHDV cams shooting 1080i. There will be differences, but you may have to view them 'side-by-side' to see them and of course, a large hi-res TV is probably going to be necessary. Single-chip HDV cams like HC1 are not going to match cameras like Fx7 and Fx1 in low-light (HC1's weakness) but in good light they will probably look fairly similar. Basic res (per spec) is the same of course.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #22
Trustee

I was very curious about the FX7, specially because of it's CMOS and compact size (I do a lot of street work and run and gun). But after seeing the footage and reading the user's guide I have no doubt about getting the Canon Xh-A1. It has SO MUCH more options when it comes to image control, pro audio, very decent pseudo progressive, very good latitude, amazing DOF. I think Sony will have to drop the price drastically if they want the FX7 to have any chance at all. The price difference is so little that it's very very hard to believe somebody would choose the FX7 over the A1...well, maybe skaters, backpackers and other people who ABSOLUTELY need a smaller camera.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #23
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
But after reading the user's guide I have no doubt about getting the Canon Xh-A1
You raise an interesting point about features, but you won't get the FX7's image with an A1. :)

Where did you find the FX7 manual?
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
The price difference is so little that it's very very hard to believe somebody would choose the FX7 over the A1...
Well price difference is US$1000 which isn't so little.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

But really anyway the V1 is the XH-A1's direct competitor, and there the price difference is just US$200 at the same store.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes

But really anyway the V1 is the XH-A1's direct competitor, and there the price difference is just US$200 at the same store.
Stu that FX7 price is a current promotional price to attendeed of Photo World (or something like that), the link has been passed around forums for a week now. Don't know how long this deal will be available.

The actual current price if you look the FX7 up on B&H's website is this:

Now the price may eventually drop to $2800 (which it should be), but right now it's not so.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
You raise an interesting point about features, but you won't get the FX7's image with an A1. :)

Where did you find the FX7 manual?
From all the amazing A1 footage I've been seeing you should be saying "but you won't get the A1 image with the FX7"
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes

The price difference in Spain is very little. The A1 is around 3300€ and the FX1 is like 3000€.
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
Videomaker has some FX7 clips available.

http://www.videomaker.com/blog/2006/...dr-fx7-footage
No doubt, the coastline footage just blew me away and made my jaw drop comparing the footage to UX1 and SR1 footage.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #29
New Boot

In the UK the price is £2200 for the FX7 and £2350 for the A1.

The XLR inputs alone make this a no brainer! But the wider field of view, the large lowlight advantage, the 1/3" chip size, the added depth of field, the proven Frame mode and the huge range of custom options blow the sony into the weeds.

My dealer has has a delivery of FX7's and there are going nowhere fast. Even he said I should wait for the A1 and he is one of Sony's top sellers!!!!!!

To me, the FX7 won't sell many here unless it's around £1600-£1750 which I bet it will be in the not to distant.....

I have been waiting for a camera like the A1 for a very long time and I can't believe after Sony's domination over the GL1/2 XM1/2 with the VX2000/2100 in the SD domain that Canon are the company bringing it to us, not the superpower of Sony. Good on you Canon and roll on the UK release!
Shaun Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Fields
In the UK the price is £2200 for the FX7 and £2350 for the A1.

The XLR inputs alone make this a no brainer! But the wider field of view, the large lowlight advantage....
Regarding the "lowlight advantage", are you speaking from experience with both of these cameras? Or some other information source?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7