Anybody have FX7 footage yet? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #46
Major Player

Cool thats good info Pasty. 3db equates to half-a-stop and 6db equates to one stop so somewhere between those two sounds pretty good to me.

thanks for the extra detail on that - it's appreciated !
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:31 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Ok, so here are a couple of grabs for all to check out.

The first is a shot of some brickwork on a church - grabbed at 1280x720, but obviously still shows the crisp details and nice color of the image. Some minor color correction has been applied.

The second (fx7_flat.jpg) is another shot of the same church - it's a smaller grab, but it is just for the purpose of showing the dynamic range of the image. As you can see, detail is held nicely in both the shadows and the highlights of the image... makes things much easier to work with!

And just so nobody is confused, these are pulls straight from the video.

-Pasty
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody have FX7 footage yet?-fx7_church1.jpg   Anybody have FX7 footage yet?-fx7_flat.jpg  

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; November 22nd, 2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Please use the classifieds forum for selling used gear.
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:04 AM   #48
Major Player

I got my hands on the FX-7 today @ my local Fry's Electronics Store. I purchased a Dv tape and shot some footage with auto settings. I persuaded the sales to un-hook the security device and I preceded to the home theater section and shot some low light footage.

http://www.dvdaction.net/index_004.htm
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #49
Trustee

There's A LOT of grain going on on some of those videos :(
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
There's A LOT of grain going on on some of those videos :(
Well...you have someone grabbing a camera in a store, and is unfamiliar with the camera running around shooting at whatever.
do you really expect to see much?
Without knowing exactly what the cam settings are, without knowing if the poster has a particular bent for or against the camcorder, without knowing a lot of variables...it's hard to know much or use the footage as any platform by which to make any comparison.
I've very little experience with the FX7, but have easily 50 hours of footage from its big brother, the V1. If you set the cam to fully auto, it's quite possible to get noisy footage. Shooting the same scene in manual, with some knowledge of the cam provides completely different results.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasty Jackson
Ok, so here are a couple of grabs for all to check out.

The first is a shot of some brickwork on a church - grabbed at 1280x720, but obviously still shows the crisp details and nice color of the image. Some minor color correction has been applied.

The second (fx7_flat.jpg) is another shot of the same church - it's a smaller grab, but it is just for the purpose of showing the dynamic range of the image. As you can see, detail is held nicely in both the shadows and the highlights of the image... makes things much easier to work with!

And just so nobody is confused, these are pulls straight from the video.

-Pasty
Sorry Pasty - dumb question - what camera was the *first* picture taken with?? Right one is FX7 i know - just not sure what you used to take the first?

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM   #52
Trustee

Stu, I believe that both are the FX7.
One is showing the the quailty of the image and how the details hold up, and the other is to show the dynamic range that the cameras CMOS sensors have maintaining the church top and the color of the blue sky.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Stu, I believe that both are the FX7.
One is showing the the quailty of the image and how the details hold up, and the other is to show the dynamic range that the cameras CMOS sensors have maintaining the church top and the color of the blue sky.
That's correct, both are with the FX7 - the first just has some minor color correction.
Pasty Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
If you set the cam to fully auto, it's quite possible to get noisy footage. Shooting the same scene in manual, with some knowledge of the cam provides completely different results.
Are there general guidelines on what to set in manual mode for low light situations?

Am feeling the need to verify the V1's low light capacities myself before committing to a purchase.
Gene Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #55

Set everything to manual, including iris so it's not adding gain nor adjusting shutter. Set shutter to desired setting of 1/24, 1/30, 1/48, 1/60 etc.
Set aperture to largest point avail for specific zoom setting. Wide is obviously better.
Use gain adjustment to set level. Expect visible noise after +9 to +12dB gain, depending on the shooting environment.
All are pretty standard for any HDV/small sensor HD camcorder.
The V1 isn't bad at all in low light compared to any other small sensor/3 chipper, and although you can induce noise due to low light just as any other cam can, it's a "smooth" noise if you're gonna see it at all. Some manufacturers call this the "film look." ;-)
You'll never see great low light capability out of *any* small sensor HD camera, IMO, simply because of the small sensor size with the number of pixels crammed onto the chip. The HVX looks considerably worse in low light, and they tried improving the low light value by using complex algorithms. JVC and Canon aren't any better. It's not the format, it's not the media, it's the number of pixels crammed on to the sensor. If shooting in very low light is important for your workflow, then budget HD isn't for you. Move up to a 1/2" or a 2/3" sensor. But then your cost significantly goes up, as does the size of the unit.
Bottom line is: None of the single CMOS cams are significantly better worse than the other, and none of the small 3 chippers whether CMOS or CCD are *significantly* better/worse than the others when it comes to light sensitivity. They're all within 1/2 a stop, more or less. Using the low light values of the V1 vs the H1, Z1, A1, or any other small HD camcorder shouldn't be a primary point of consideration, IMO. I'd be looking more at form factor, accessory costs/availability, feature sets, size, and your specific needs first, because those are a lot more important, again IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7