V1 compared to FX7 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 868
V1 compared to FX7

Is there a definitive table or list somewhere of the differences between these cameras? AFAIK some of the points of difference:

FX7 - no pro audio inputs, less manual controls, less Progressive formats, smaller body?, inbuilt michrophone, cheaper lens? (not low dispersion elements as in V1????)

Trying to work out which would be the best option for a telejournalist who's basically shooting all their own stuff with radio mics and a relatively lightweight tripod. Lots of travel involved. So anything anyone can add would be much appreciated.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
My understanding is that there are no progressive modes in the FX7, and no XLR mic inputs. Some black stretch options on V1u.
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...comparison.htm has a complete list of differences.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 868
Wow thanks guys
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 868
Found out everything I need to know except one thing - are the lenses of different quality. The V1 clearly states use extra low dispersion glass and aspherical elements while the FX7 just says Carl Zeiss etc...
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #6
HDV Cinema
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Found out everything I need to know except one thing - are the lenses of different quality. The V1 clearly states use extra low dispersion glass and aspherical elements while the FX7 just says Carl Zeiss etc...
It's the same camcorder. Only the firmware is set to FX7 rather than V1.

A new handle with XLRs is added to the V1. Someway, the handle mic signals connect internally while the 3.5mm jack has been.

Lattitude is so great Knee control is not necessary. Black Streatch is NOT needed. Zebra not needed either. Histogram is the key. Black Compress would be very, very nice to have. That should have not been left out. (Just like the FX1 needed Black Streatch.)

Gamma #2 is way too dark, so only having #1 is fine. (Unless, you like making "moody" movies in which case you likely need 24p.)

CineTone can be replaced by increasing color.

Exposure #1 will be fine -- gain can be added by menu.

No Edge Crop will hurt if you go direct to 4:3.

If you use a wireless receiver, the 3.5mm jack will be fine.

The FX7 has a new stereo mic that does something better -- but I can't translate the Japanese.

So, the big one is 24p/30p. And, the money.
__________________
Switcher's Quick Guide to the Avid Media Composer >>> http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
It's the same camcorder. Only the firmware is set to FX7 rather than V1.
I wonder how long before we see a hack to fix that.......
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen

Lattitude is so great Knee control is not necessary. Black Streatch is NOT needed. Zebra not needed either. Histogram is the key. Black Compress would be very, very nice to have. That should have not been left out. (Just like the FX1 needed Black Streatch.)

Gamma #2 is way too dark, so only having #1 is fine. (Unless, you like making "moody" movies in which case you likely need 24p.)

CineTone can be replaced by increasing color.

Exposure #1 will be fine -- gain can be added by menu.

No Edge Crop will hurt if you go direct to 4:3.

If you use a wireless receiver, the 3.5mm jack will be fine.

The FX7 has a new stereo mic that does something better -- but I can't translate the Japanese.

So, the big one is 24p/30p. And, the money.
It's all a matter of what you work with, and what you're needing. I personally can't see many shoots happening well without Black Stretch, and if you're encoding for the web, it's a MUST, not a "nice to have."
3.5mm won't cut it for any professional wireless system; you have to convert from XLR to 3.5mm. Consumer wireless systems (which the FX7 could work with, but are useless in many situations) have 3.5mm outputs, but any prosumer/professional wireless has balanced out, and the 3.5mm plug on the FX7 will require an adapter, adding to the bulk of what is coming from the wireless.
Gamma 2 has nice uses, particularly for shooting stage shots where you want smoother falloff. We shot Petula Clark/Rod McKuen rehearsals for their tour using this cam, and loved the Gamma 2 setting mixed with other settings.
As said over and over, if you're using this cam for casual shooting, be prepped for needing at least a fair amount of light as you'll need with any 1/3 chip HD camcorder regardless of the brand. Many of the settings are for pro's shooting in controlled lighting situations, and so you can get exceptionally creative with the cam and it's potential in production, seeing your results in realtime, and not worrying about all the additional hassle (and impossible to match) results in post.
IMO, the differences in the cams, just like the differences in the Z1/FX1, are substantial, and time-saving and creative-easing enough that professionals appreciate those differences. If you are an auto-shooter, then the FX7 is likely your best choice, but if you're a fiddler and tweaker, and want the best possible image, then the V1 is substantially a more optimal choice in my opinion.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 267
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this in previous threads... but the price difference that i seen was practically moot compared to the features you lose. Perhaps the prices i seen where not accurate. But if what i seen is accurate... you'd be silly to not spend 500USD more and get the full deal. (fel free to clarify real prices of each cam - either way here in .au they'll both be grossly over inflated).
__________________
Welcome... to the real world!
Daymon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
....but if you're a fiddler and tweaker, and want the best possible image, then the V1 is substantially a more optimal choice in my opinion.
Douglas and Steve

Could you please give us an idea just how "tweakable" the V1 is? There has been mention of 3d LUTs but no detailed info as to how a user would setup the LUTs. Just what level of flexibility is available to the user?

With an 8bit format and one that is reasonably well compressed it is desirable to create the "look" in camera or at the very least slew the camera "look" towards the desired final grade of the finished piece. So from my perspective as a compositor this is an interesting aspect of the camera.

Just what information can be held in the picture profiles?

Any info will be gratefully received.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #11
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
.
IMO, the differences in the cams, just like the differences in the Z1/FX1, are substantial, and time-saving and creative-easing enough that professionals appreciate those differences. If you are an auto-shooter, then the FX7 is likely your best choice, but if you're a fiddler and tweaker, and want the best possible image, then the V1 is substantially a more optimal choice in my opinion.
Hmmm - me I'm a fiddler and tweaker, but I need a cam for a telejournalist role (not me). I'm not even sure that the Z1 is not a better option with it's superior low light performance. Some of the shooting will be indoors, but the Z1 just struck me as a little bit bulkier and heavier for a one man travelling kit (and of course older technology now). However I'm leaning towards the V1 as I think the progressive modes will come in handy down the track, even though I'm not huge fan of 1/4" sensors. I'm thinking with so many photosites crammed into such a small area that the F stop range will be very limited before you start to get diffraction errors - probably won't want to shut down much beyond F5.6. I sure hope the NDs on this camera are strong enough to work in bright sunshine without external filters.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymon Hoffman
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this in previous threads... but the price difference that i seen was practically moot compared to the features you lose. Perhaps the prices i seen where not accurate. But if what i seen is accurate... you'd be silly to not spend 500USD more and get the full deal. (fel free to clarify real prices of each cam - either way here in .au they'll both be grossly over inflated).
Prices have just changed again today! (reduction for the V1).

V1U has just come down another US$200 at B&H (was reduced by $90 just a few days ago) and is now priced at US$3,999 :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=468701&is=REG

FX7 at same excellent NYC store is currently available for US$2,799 :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Prices have just changed again today! (reduction for the V1).

V1U has just come down another US$200 at B&H (was reduced by $90 just a few days ago) and is now priced at US$3,999 :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=468701&is=REG

FX7 at same excellent NYC store is currently available for US$2,799 :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
I heard that these prices were promo prices, and not the actual retail selling prices. I don't know how long they will last.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
I heard that these prices were promo prices, and not the actual retail selling prices. I don't know how long they will last.
Well yes it will be interesting to see if those prices hold up. - I agree i heard they were promo prices. But still, they are current actual real prices for those machines and orderable today for that money.
Who know's what happens tomorrow!
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
V1U has just come down another US$200 at B&H (was reduced by $90 just a few days ago) and is now priced at US$3,999 :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=468701&is=REG
Same as the Canon XH-A1 - until that gets discounted...
__________________
Steam Age Pictures - videos in aid of railway preservation societies.
Mark Fry is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network