V1U - White Balance & ND filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 10th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
New Boot

V1U - White Balance & ND filters

I really, really need the 20X zoom, but I was looking thru the specs and, regarding the white balance, it says "Auto, one-push auto (2 positions), indoor (3200 K), outdoor (5800 K + 15steps)". I'd like to do multi-camera stuff with my Z1U, but if I'm indoors, how will I match up the white balance for both cameras if there's no manual setting on the V1U? (I find that it's imperative indoors to use my Warm Cards to set the white balance - otherwise it's almost always too brown.) Any thoughts on this?

Also, I noted that ND filters on the Z1U are: 1/6, 1/32
For the V1U, they are: 1/4, 1/16
I have no idea what these numbers are. Can someone tell me which one filters out more bright light? I'll be shooting some surfing (thus the need for more zoom) and filtering very bright sunlight is of interest. Will the V1U do OK in this regard?

Thanks for the help here, I'm not a professional and I know nothing about cameras and the technical stuff.
Charlie Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2
New Boot

V1U - where does tape go in

I was just looking closely at some pictures of the V1U. The LCD is where the tape loads on the Z1U. It wasn't obvious where you load the tape. It must be on the opposite side?
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Acccording to this:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...Model?id=85966

It states there is Manual White Balance Adjustment.

I ordered the camera too, and I look forward to giving it a run.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Jackson
Also, I noted that ND filters on the Z1U are: 1/6, 1/32
For the V1U, they are: 1/4, 1/16
I have no idea what these numbers are. Can someone tell me which one filters out more bright light?
1/6 = about 2.5 stops
1/32 = 5 stops

1/4 = 2 stops
1/16 = 4 stops
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I can say that having the LCD on the left side, where I'm used to it, and the tape transport on the right, again where I'm used to it, is wonderful! Also, the white balance and ND filters are great, no issues. But if you want to use NDs or color filters to help out with white balance, I know that there are some great options already available and I'm sure, coming soon.

heath
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Jackson
I really, really need the 20X zoom, but I was looking thru the specs and, regarding the white balance, it says "Auto, one-push auto (2 positions), indoor (3200 K), outdoor (5800 K + 15steps)".
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but this sounds exactly like the white balance capabilities of the Z1 to me. You can do two custom white balances (which in Sony-speak is "one-push") just like the Z1. These are assigned to the 3 position switch which can select either of them or the preset (tungsten or daylight). Then you can use either the custom preset or the assign buttons two shift the daylight preset by seven 500K steps from the default 5800K.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

manual white balance for V1U?

Why do some sites insist there is no manual white balance on the V1U? (CNet for example). I wouldn't think that Sony would make a professional type camera with no manual white balance.
Sal C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Wrangler

Unless I'm very mistaken, "one push" is Sony's term for what you're calling "manual white balance." See pages 26-27 in the Z1 manual:

Quote:
2. Press WHT BAL

3. Set the WHT BAL switch to A or B.

4. Shoot a white subject such as a piece of paper filling the entire screen under the same lighting condition as that of the subject.

5. Press one-push WHT BAL
A or B flashes quickly.
When the white balance is adjusted, A or B lights up and the adjustment data is memorized.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal C. Martin
Why do some sites insist there is no manual white balance on the V1U? (CNet for example). I wouldn't think that Sony would make a professional type camera with no manual white balance.
Simply because they're wrong !

Even on the V1's "little brother", the FX7, you can not only set manual white balance, you can store 2 different manual white balances in Memory A and Memory B.

V1 will have all this functionality and more.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Um, I can safely say that there is manual white balance on the V1.

heath
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but this sounds exactly like the white balance capabilities of the Z1 to me. You can do two custom white balances (which in Sony-speak is "one-push") just like the Z1. These are assigned to the 3 position switch which can select either of them or the preset (tungsten or daylight).
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like there is manual white balance. I was concerned because I looked carefully at some pictures of the camera that I found, and there is one button for White Balance (on the back), but I found no 3-position switch like the Z1U has. Maybe the one button toggles thru the three modes.

After posting, I also came across a review by Douglas Spotted Eagle which said two things that really got my attention. First, that the lens does 20X zoom but there is up to 30X digital, and that it's actually quite good (I certainly trust his judgement on that). Second, that there is a slo-mo recording feature, up to 12 seconds. He mentioned golf, which is something that I want to do actually, show golf swings in slo-mo.

Well, next stop is the B&H site to order one. Thanks everyone for the info posted here.
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Charlie,

I think you'll really dig the V1u!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7