DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1 build materials.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/79642-v1-build-materials.html)

Ray Bell November 14th, 2006 09:35 PM

V1 build materials....

Can someone comment on the materials that are used to build the V1 ??

I'm asking in reference to the PD-170, as I think the V1 is the HDV replacement for the PD-170 cam...

The PD-170 cam has a lot of metal in the body parts and is a great cam build wise and video quality, does the V1 share in the build quality of materials as the PD-170??

Thanx for answers in advance....

Luke Springer February 15th, 2007 09:39 PM

I searched the forum for this topic and didn't come up with much, I too am curious about build quality, so I'm bumping this to the top :^).

Thanks,
Luke

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 15th, 2007 09:46 PM

The V1 shares in the same quality as the PD series, with a metal body/internal housing and plastic outer parts.
Tough enough to fall 25' and live through it...

Tim Allison February 16th, 2007 10:03 AM

Douglas, have you actually "tested" this statement?

"Tough enough to fall 25' and live through it..."

If so, I don't think I would want to buy one of your old demo units. :)

Robert Ducon February 16th, 2007 10:30 AM

Build quality: I once saw a box containing a Sony FX-1 blow apart into pieces as a truck backed over it (someone placed the camera box behind the vehicle's path) the FX-1 body stopped the wheel from rotating enought that the driver felt it, and thus, stopped the vehicle. I saw the FX-1 after, and I would never have known - not a scratch (foam was inside the box, so I think that prevented scratches). A 4x4 plastic filter that was attatched to the front was shattered as well. The hood had not been on at the time - had it been, it would have been destroyed. Nothing was off - the LCD and top handle were still firmly straight! I've never complained about the heft of the camera when doing hand-held work since! ;)

Zsolt Gordos February 19th, 2007 12:22 PM

I had a very unfortunate "field test" the other day. I managed to leave my V1E on tripod in a situation where it was imbalanced and while removing my hand, the cam together with the tripod fall and knocked to a piece of rock. The movement was accelerated by the weight of the head. The 970 battery flew off about 1 meter distance.
I freak out when I saw it falling and had no chance to stop it - then all I had in my mind was that my V1E has gone.
I checked the cam and apart from a missing piece of the rubber part of the eye piece, there was no damage whatsoever. After blowing off the dust from the battery I placed the it back and tried the functions, everything worked well.
I think I was lucky - but definitely the cam is pretty sturdy.

Robert Ducon February 26th, 2007 01:18 PM

Zsolt, glad it's okay. Let us know if anything wonky starts happening. Cheers.

Zsolt Gordos February 27th, 2007 06:39 PM

I kept on shooting after this unfortunate event and I have to say there is no damage whatsoever with any of the camera functions.
The damaged rubber looks ugly, otherwise no problem. I may not even get it replaced as the viewfinder is entirely useless, never used it during a 2 weeks daily field shooting I have recently done in Asia.

I tried to upload a photo, but somehow this time it does not work.