V1 build materials.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 14th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 build materials....

Can someone comment on the materials that are used to build the V1 ??

I'm asking in reference to the PD-170, as I think the V1 is the HDV replacement for the PD-170 cam...

The PD-170 cam has a lot of metal in the body parts and is a great cam build wise and video quality, does the V1 share in the build quality of materials as the PD-170??

Thanx for answers in advance....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I searched the forum for this topic and didn't come up with much, I too am curious about build quality, so I'm bumping this to the top :^).

Thanks,
Luke
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #3

The V1 shares in the same quality as the PD series, with a metal body/internal housing and plastic outer parts.
Tough enough to fall 25' and live through it...
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Douglas, have you actually "tested" this statement?

"Tough enough to fall 25' and live through it..."

If so, I don't think I would want to buy one of your old demo units. :)
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Build quality: I once saw a box containing a Sony FX-1 blow apart into pieces as a truck backed over it (someone placed the camera box behind the vehicle's path) the FX-1 body stopped the wheel from rotating enought that the driver felt it, and thus, stopped the vehicle. I saw the FX-1 after, and I would never have known - not a scratch (foam was inside the box, so I think that prevented scratches). A 4x4 plastic filter that was attatched to the front was shattered as well. The hood had not been on at the time - had it been, it would have been destroyed. Nothing was off - the LCD and top handle were still firmly straight! I've never complained about the heft of the camera when doing hand-held work since! ;)
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Major Player

I had a very unfortunate "field test" the other day. I managed to leave my V1E on tripod in a situation where it was imbalanced and while removing my hand, the cam together with the tripod fall and knocked to a piece of rock. The movement was accelerated by the weight of the head. The 970 battery flew off about 1 meter distance.
I freak out when I saw it falling and had no chance to stop it - then all I had in my mind was that my V1E has gone.
I checked the cam and apart from a missing piece of the rubber part of the eye piece, there was no damage whatsoever. After blowing off the dust from the battery I placed the it back and tried the functions, everything worked well.
I think I was lucky - but definitely the cam is pretty sturdy.
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Zsolt, glad it's okay. Let us know if anything wonky starts happening. Cheers.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Major Player

I kept on shooting after this unfortunate event and I have to say there is no damage whatsoever with any of the camera functions.
The damaged rubber looks ugly, otherwise no problem. I may not even get it replaced as the viewfinder is entirely useless, never used it during a 2 weeks daily field shooting I have recently done in Asia.

I tried to upload a photo, but somehow this time it does not work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7