Sony LED Light for the FX7/V1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
this is valuable information Marshall - thanks for posting this up. have you used the Frezzi Microfill? The disappointment to me with a light like the Frezzi is, I think, that the standard battery it comes with is NiCad which is ancient tech and rather annoying that they don't supply with a NiMH battery instead. can you confirm whether Frezzi still ship lights like Microfill with a Nicad battery please??

Not a clue - can't help you with that one so you may stand a better chance at just calling them. I haven't used the Frezzi lights but a lot of folks I've talked to love them and some have mentioned the NRG Varalux as well. Years ago I used NRG lights with the battery belts and while the lights were great, I hated the belts but it's almost a necessity to go back to it. Bescor makes a shoulder-strapped battery that works with the NRG and Frezzi lights but you need to make sure you get the correct connector (the Frezzi has eight or so options, for instance).
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
this is valuable information Marshall - thanks for posting this up. have you used the Frezzi Microfill? The disappointment to me with a light like the Frezzi is, I think, that the standard battery it comes with is NiCad which is ancient tech and rather annoying that they don't supply with a NiMH battery instead. can you confirm whether Frezzi still ship lights like Microfill with a Nicad battery please??

I have the Frezzi minifill and also NRG varilux, Frezzi is great, I use the Frezzi with a soft box and so I have to use 100 watts bulb, because the soft box will cuts almost half of the output, if you don't use the soft box, get the wide angle bulb, I think they make it in 35 and 50 watts, you can use any kind of battery you like, don't have to buy one from Frezzi, I have battery belt from NRG and Bescor, also several cheap 12 volts lead acid battery that you can get with a pouch and wear on your belt, the NRG are nicad, everything I bought from NRG malfunction at one time or another, from charger to battery to the belt plugin to the varilux, and the company don't stand behind their products, the only thing that didn't broke from that company is their A/C lights, but I don't use them enough to put them through their paces.
I just want LED because I'm getting tired of belts plus I do alot of on location shoots and I can't bring lead acid battery on the plane and so I have to take the NRG nicads and they sucks and I have no confident in their reliability and the company.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #33
Major Player

Sony HVL-LBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham
Thanks for the info Barry, with the Sony, I know that your subject skintone is almost correct but what is the background looks like indoor? I assume the Sony does not come with a 3200K filter?
Khoi

I don't seem to be noticing any problems with oversaturaated backgrounds. With this light there is no place to put on a 3200K gel. I am finding with the V1U by modifying the outdoor preset for white balance into the minus range that it is very easy to correct for proper skintone. Considering that you get both spot and flood in the same light, a diffusion filter, battery level indicator, apparently more light output, and it uses camera batteries the price seems reasonable compared with the Litepanels unit (nearly $ 350 difference).
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #34
Major Player

Ok thanks Barry, I think I will try it, if it doesn't work for me then I will try the Zylight, that one has 30watts and can be dial to outdoor or indoor plus some other stuff, but it is quite expensive.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Take care.
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #35
New Boot

Varizoom S-2000

How about the Varizoom S-2000 as a alternative. Read a good review at

http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_it...leId=196602658.

I would not know if it is any better/worse than the Sony. Slightly cheaper thought.
Jonah Gouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #36
Major Player

sony HVL-LBP

I had considered the Varizoom but the extra battery attachment + rather flimsy barndoor and filter attachments steered me away from it. Having used the Sony light in total darkness as well as indoor daylight fillin for the last two days while on vacation (ski resort), I am very happy with the performance and the rugged construction.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #37
Major Player

Barry

this has been very helpful info that you've posted up.

One more question - how is the "drop off" over a slightly longer distance? compared to halogen lights? Do you think the Sony light will give enoujgh coverage to shoot from say 10-12feet away in a live band environment (really fairly pretty dim stage lighting). Some people say LED lights tend to experience significant "drop off" that isn't such a problem with halogens.

any input on that would be great.

thanks again
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #38
Major Player

Sony HVL-LBP dropoff

The Sony light as with the Litepanels system does exhibit significant dropoff -I believe 10-12 feet would be pushing the limit. Most of my video using either light has been shot in the 4-6 ft. range, tops at 8 ft.
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #39
Major Player

thanks again Barry for that.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7