V1 25p issues (combined threads) - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #136
Inner Circle

Polish supply of V1E - 25p flaw confirmed

OK guys - I've been quiet lately, waiting for my V1E delivery. Because of the 25p problem reports, I gave up importing from the UK and ordered mine locally instead. It arrived yesterday and - in spite of my hopes it could be trouble-free as coming from different batch - I can confirm: the 25p mode is bad. I'm not saying useless; but certainly below expectations. When connected via component to a 1920x1200 LCD, it gets a bit brighter when 25p mode is engaged, but at the same time fine details are gone. Looks like some heavy filtering kicks in. I didn't shoot a material long enough in 25p and in 50i to be able to compare the video looks of both modes, but the softness in progressive is definitely there.

One quick question: has anybody tried the 25p on an INTERLACED HDTV (CRT)? Cause I've been thinking; with all the de-interlacing stuff implemented in plasma and LCD displays, maybe it's just the way it has to look? I mean, deinterlacing progressive is a tricky thing to do... But it's just my curiosity. Hopefully Sony will see to it; we have the Prime Support, after all!

Otherwise, it's a great little machine. However, I've spotted one quality issue: the component output socket is loose and the cable doesn't seat firmly, resulting in the intermittent signals losses. Can anyone confirm, or is it just my copy? Also, the mic holder is not firmly connected to the body; there's sort of a hinge between it's screwed-in part and the soft tube, most probably this is intentional for shock absorbing, but please confirm yours are the same.

Well, if you ask me, I'm not even going to post any grabs ar clips to prove the 25p softness, 'cause it's so obvious there's no doubt about it. I have very mixed feelings; personally don't believe it's a flaw that Sony would soon fix with some firmware upgrade; it looks more elike a "feature". Big disappointment.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 16th, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #137
Regular Crew

Piotr, I feel sorry to you, being one of the prime-sony support, I have mixed feeling to move to Canon XH-A1 too (although I am sure it is a better move).

The more I read about V1 thread, the more I feel there is actual no V1 but only FX7+, the "plus" is just the add-on of XLR and few more menu options that I wonder could be upgradeable directly to FX7 if Sony does care of it's loyal customers.

Then spend some real effort to make a Z7.5 out early next year, IMHO...
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #138
Regular Crew

There is no technical reason why 25P should be less good than 50i since the CMOS chips are progressively scanned and it's more effort to produce 50i than 25P.

In the world of video us PAL region users have always had the short straw from cameras to NLEs. I am confident, so is my dealer, that a fix will be with us through silver support ASAP.

It is a monumental screw up BUT it is being worked on. I was gutted initially but have been assured by my dealer that this is being dealt with due urgency.

I disagree moving to the Canon in my view would be a retrograde step as the Canon does not produce the image the Sony does. Give 'em chance to deliver a 25P fix and then make up your mind. You might regret an early move.

Ing Poh Hii, you are entitled to your opinion but logic is against you.

TT
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #139
Inner Circle

Tony, regarding other issues I mentioned - can your component cable be firmly connected with the camera's socket, and is the microphone holder not rigid like mine?
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #140
Regular Crew

The mic holder is identical to the PD150 and should not be solid.

I have not noticed any issues with my component cable.

TT
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #141
New Boot

Has anyone tried a V1E (PAL version) that doesn't have this softness-in-progressive-mode problem?

I need to buy something very soon here in Australia and these reports are seriously affecting my decision - swaying me towards the canon A1.
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #142
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble

Ing Poh Hii, you are entitled to your opinion but logic is against you.

TT
Hi Tony, please don't mis-understand, I do believe Sony would take the 25p quality problem fixed especially for europe customers. I have to emphasis "Europe customers", I come from Malaysia and we received very different "treatment" when dealing with Sony service-center... let's not go there.

I hope it is just a firmware fix, otherwise I am going to worry where these problem V1 would go to ? Trust me, I bought a PD150 from a very reputation Hongkong seller before, but I didn't notice a small fungus inside the len bcs that shop wasn't bright enough for me to test every feature of the camcorder, i brought it back to malaysia and few days after, I realise the problem and run to Sony center, they refused to free-repair and claimed that was my own fault without taking good care to the camcorder while I have more then 10 camcorders from old SVHS day still working fine throughtout my professional life, I treasure every single one of them, but they claim it was my own fault on this new kit and I have to pay RM6000 to replace the whole len (which is equal to half the cost of the camcorder at that time) and I have to wait for a month to get it fix bcs again, Malaysia Sony has no stock !!

That was the time PD150 has just out to the market 3 months less, and I was lucky to get a bad one.

Because of this bad experience, I am very caution about buying any equipment now (and that is why I start to spend time in this forum and learn a lot from you all). As far as I can tell, Canon has no quality issue being identified yet, V1 may be good in near future but at least I don't want to be the first runner (as I have no privillege like you all, none of the Malaysia or Singapore dealer can even show me a demo unit, all order upon request).

FX7 is easier to get at here, it is also what Sony tries to push in Asia market, if the ClearVid CMOS is progressive-scan by default, why Sony bother to make FX7 deinterlace the progressive frame and make it only 50i ?

I am sure the process is technically complex (many of you might know why), then V1 has no more button then FX7, why can't FX7 have all those non-25/30p related function available in it's menu ? surely it is just a firmware upgrade as well.

But Sony intentionally put more menu (a.k.a professional feature) in V1 but not FX7, just try to add value to a new product which has not just XLR, 25/30p but also more menu.

I have difficulty to accept such "marketing design", I wonder if Canon is going to make FX7 & V1, it would be more like A1 vs G1, you get no different in term of menu & functionality while "Canon V1" have 25/30p recording & HMDI output... ha ha.. just nonsense.

So my bottom line is pretty low, the choice is between A1 & FX7, but I do love those "extra menu" of V1, so I wait for V1. And now V1 does have all extra menu works flawlessly, shouldn't I just take it ? Yes I should but your test of 25p remind my sad story...

So it is more then just the quality of the camcorder "fool" me to make the decision of taking A1, it is also bcs I believe I shall give myself a chance to try others... I recalled someone has once said "bad firm becomes better while god firm goes bad".

Let's get out of this blue, I have a question about your comment that Canon video is not as good as Sony, please can you explain to me in detail ? I have to say it is my first time handle Canon camcorder although I love their camera & designer printer. Many of you have mentioned the quality between A1 & V1 is very narrow, but it seems to you not the case, I would hope to learn more about this (you might PM me if such discussion is not allowed).

Many thanks to all your help.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #143
Trustee

I can only be thankful that I have no need for the progressive mode and never liked the motion handling in this mode of any of the HDV cams in progressive. I had owned the original JVC HDV cam and returned it because of the 'stuttering' video with quick motion. My FX7 is just beautifully sharp in interlaced, even though ironically it ends up as progessive on my 50" plasma.

I sincerely hope you guys get this issue resolved so that you can begin to enjoy this great camera.
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #144
Major Player

So if the issue wont be fixed with a firmware update, would the solution be a refund of the price difference between V1 and FX7? And would the balanced audio be given as free gift to reward those who were patiently waiting?
In fact V1E owners now have an overpriced FX7.
This might sound too materialistic, but this is the situation plus the main selling point for V1 is 25p...
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #145
Inner Circle

Correction - when I said it got brighter when switched to progressive, I didn't account for the accompanying change uf shutter speed from 50 to 25th. When you compare the modes at the same shutter speed (and other exposure params equal), none is brighter of course.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 17th, 2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #146
Major Player

Wow, I'm really shocked. Wow.

I want it to be good, but it just isn't. I didn't know what you guys meant by oil-paint effect till these pictures showed up.

This is the V1E, but what of the V1U? Douglas, your images looked fine, and made me fall in love with the camera. You cited detail-declined once in progressive mode, but, it was nothing like this.

I'm glad it works great at 50i Peter!
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #147
Major Player

Robert, I will receive new pictures soon with changed camera settings and will add them to the webpage.
So far I can tell is that the forced 1/50 shutter speed with the default settings for iris/gain forced the camera to use the Gain function to get the exposure right. The light conditions weren't fantastic but there was enough daylight to do a standard shot IMHO. I think the light conditions are critical for this camera (CMOS sensor related?).

The oil paint effect is something else. Other on this forum have more info about that.
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #148
Inner Circle

Tony, what exactly is Sony planning about this issue?

Tony, now when your opinion on the 25p nature in the V1E is confirmed here (different batch), and based on your proceedings with your local dealer - what is your advice the rest of us affected should be doing? Particularly, is some activity required (like calling the dealer or e-mailing Sony), or is it safe to just sit and wait fro Sony's move - an annoucement about firmware upgrade availability for download, or sending the cameras back to the dealer, or what?
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #149
Regular Crew

Piotr

Legally in the UK by sitting back and doing nothing can be taken as accepting duff goods. I obviously have no idea of the law in Poland but I would get on the phone/email to your dealer and register your complaint ASAP. Doing nothing is not normally a wise option.

The more dealers Sony have complaints from can only be a good thing to expedite a fix! If you know of anybody else affected get them to do the same...complain!!

Let your dealer know your serial number so if it is a batch that is affected (I think ALL units though) they can trace the batch.

History has shown people power works.

TT
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #150
Inner Circle

Totally agree Tony; BTW my serial number is 1210377, what's yours? I believe it'd be good if - when more and more people get their units and confirm/deny the problem - if we shared the serial numbers so that we can pin it down to a specific production series that is (is not) affected.

I'll be complaining about it to my dealer first thing Monday morning, but would like to back it up with some facts that we, the forum users, know and that a Polish dealer might have no idea about...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 18th, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7