V1 25p issues (combined threads) - Page 12 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #166
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 400
Okay, you've all spoken. I don't recall having seen definitive evidence, but no negative reports have come in, and Douglas, I know you've tested the cameras. I stand corrected. I'm glad the V1U is probably fine - curious how the "E" version could be so wonky.
Robert Ducon is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #167
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon
Okay, you've all spoken. I don't recall having seen definitive evidence, but no negative reports have come in, and Douglas, I know you've tested the cameras. I stand corrected. I'm glad the V1U is probably fine - curious how the "E" version could be so wonky.
Completely different clock times could affect a number of parameters. Could have been a faulty bit of code in the 50i version. Could be a bad chipset, could be a lot of things, but Sony have been made aware of the issue, and I'm sure we'll hear something soon.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #168
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 149
So.... the V1U (24p - US/Can) Camera should not have been effected by this early flaw?
Brian Ladue is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #169
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ladue
So.... the V1U (24p - US/Can) Camera should not have been effected by this early flaw?
So far no US shots are available - only those taken with pre-production models. All the V1E shots contain the "oil painting" effect.

It would be cool to see some pictures taken with the US production units.
Zsolt Gordos is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #170
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ladue
So.... the V1U (24p - US/Can) Camera should not have been effected by this early flaw?
I would think not. Simon Wyndham identified this in the E models during preproduction and let Sony know. I couldn't assume what took place once they were notified. The U models never exhibited this in preproduction, so I wouldn't think it has changed. Haven't gotten a production unit yet, so can't comment with any level of surety, but I seriously can't imagine that this would have been induced in later models. I don't know the product manager for Europe, but I do know the product manager for the US. He's not just a "Sony guy" but is a shooter and knows his stuff, and has been very hands-on with the camcorder since the very first models arrived in the USA. He nearly took my head off for skydiving with a pre-production model, simply because they didn't yet know if all the parts were secured yet. There were several various stages of pre-production models sent to the US late summer, and not one of them had this behavior. We shot an entire DVD or two with this cam as well, using a wide variety of settings. It would have shown up, I'm sure.
there are now people getting V1's in the US, so I'm equally sure we'll see images posting heavily in the next few days, coming from production units. I'll be very surprised if we see any evidence of this.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #171
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 418
The first major shipment of V1p's will hopefully be arrive on the 20th here. I spoke with one of my local retailers here and informed him about the issues in the E models. He is going to check out his P's as soon as they come in the door. I'll be there in to check it out asap. If the issue is present in the P model then it could be a 50i issue. However from the pictures we saw previous in this thread of the first P in NZ it could well be fine.
Joe Lawry is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #172
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 265
I just got my shipment notification from B&H. I should be getting it (V1U) by Wed. so I'll try out the 24p and see if I can post anything by Thursday (of course with the hoiday around the corner, and my two boys being sick... who knows).

I do know that I can't wait to try out this camera! I plan on using it with my M2 (35mm adapter), and I'll also try to post clips of this too.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline  
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #173
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lawry
The first major shipment of V1p's will hopefully be arrive on the 20th here. I spoke with one of my local retailers here and informed him about the issues in the E models. He is going to check out his P's as soon as they come in the door. I'll be there in to check it out asap. If the issue is present in the P model then it could be a 50i issue. However from the pictures we saw previous in this thread of the first P in NZ it could well be fine.

FWIW, I just went through about half an hour of footage I shot with a P model when in Sydney/Melbourne last month, with 25p. No problems that I can find, and I got some nice shots at max latitude at Circle Quay at sunset, bridge and opera house in the shot along with everything else.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #174
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,570
We've only just been notified by our Sony dealer that our first V1E has arrived.
He's also advised that he's been firmly told not to let it out of his sight, to not even open the box. Remarkably they seemed a tad surprised when we said we know why, obviously some Sony dealers haven't quite caught up with where the world has gone the last decade.
Bob Grant is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #175
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
We've only just been notified by our Sony dealer that our first V1E has arrived.
He's also advised that he's been firmly told not to let it out of his sight, to not even open the box. Remarkably they seemed a tad surprised when we said we know why, obviously some Sony dealers haven't quite caught up with where the world has gone the last decade.
That made me chuckle. I wonder how long till the firmware patch/press release. No use in forecasting, just saying, it'll have to be only a matter of time.
Robert Ducon is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #176
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Giglio
I just got my shipment notification from B&H. I should be getting it (V1U) by Wed. so I'll try out the 24p and see if I can post anything by Thursday (of course with the hoiday around the corner, and my two boys being sick... who knows).

I do know that I can't wait to try out this camera! I plan on using it with my M2 (35mm adapter), and I'll also try to post clips of this too.

Todd
I think the camera will be a huge hit with 35mm adapter owners. Combined with true progressive and HDMI capture this camera can seriously punch above its weight...

TT
Tony Tremble is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #177
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
So, just out of interest, anyone else thinking that these "watercolour" V1's are gonna be worth a fortune to some lo-fi music video director in about 10 years, ala the Pixelvision?!

I gotta say I'm quite interested in seeing/playing with that watercolour "effect" - I've never seen anything like it... What's it like on, say, a busy street full of people?
Dominic Jones is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #178
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
Oh, and totally agree Tony, as I mentioned in another post - can't wait to get one on the back of my M2...
Dominic Jones is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #179
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
So, just out of interest, anyone else thinking that these "watercolour" V1's are gonna be worth a fortune to some lo-fi music video director in about 10 years, ala the Pixelvision?!

I gotta say I'm quite interested in seeing/playing with that watercolour "effect" - I've never seen anything like it... What's it like on, say, a busy street full of people?
Hey it sure beats rendering that sort of effect as HD. Imagine creating 60 minutes of HD with that sort of an artsy look in only 60 minutes.



Kind of like Baseball cards that would have huge errors that would make them worth a lot more money because of the rare error. Back in my day everybody wished they would get one of these cards not only because it was cool but because it was worth a lot of money.

It would be cool if SONY could leave this problem in the camera as a menu option sort of like the old cheesy mosaic and sepia modes on cheap consumer cameras.
Thomas Smet is offline  
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #180
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brighton, England
Posts: 225
Lol, yeah - instant post-production!

It would be cool if the "mode" could be kept as an option - like you say, it's not gonna get a *whole* lot of use, but you never know and it would be a neat in-joke...

So, you listening Sony?
Dominic Jones is offline  
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network