DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1 25p issues (combined threads) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81422-v1-25p-issues-combined-threads.html)

Heath McKnight December 13th, 2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
I think we can safely conclude it's more than a individual unit problem - the review unit posted by Simon had it, this unit and Tony's dealer's other units. To me that makes a "batch" problem as this point. Other V1e's may be trouble free and hopefully more reports and Sony will chime in (and 30p on US units can be tested).

I tend to think these issues are educational in learning how imagers/DSP etc. work despite the short term pain for those affected.

I thought it was only 2-3 units. Besides, I thought Simon's was a prototype.

heath

Stephen van Vuuren December 13th, 2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I thought it was only 2-3 units. Besides, I thought Simon's was a prototype.

heath

Perhaps I misunderstood Tony - I thought his dealer confirmed all units the dealer had were affected.

Heath McKnight December 13th, 2006 12:13 PM

Tony, can you confirm?

heath

Zsolt Gordos December 13th, 2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing
Glad to see Sony's taking you guys seriously.

I called the UK retailer today who was about sending my order. I told them about the issue - they were not aware yet. After checking this thread they offered me not to proceed with the order and refund my money.
Moreover they immediately called Sony UK who were aware and said they were working on the solution and they will fix all the cameras with this problem either with a firmware update on Memory Sick (?) or by replacing it with no further cost to the costomer. Well, this is what the retailer guy said. I have not spoken with Sony UK myself.
Hope this is in line with what Tony has got from Sony.

Zsolt Gordos December 13th, 2006 12:35 PM

Memory Stick of course...

Tony Tremble December 13th, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
I called the UK retailer today who was about sending my order. I told them about the issue - they were not aware yet. After checking this thread they offered me not to proceed with the order and refund my money.
Moreover they immediately called Sony UK who were aware and said they were working on the solution and they will fix all the cameras with this problem either with a firmware update on Memory Sick (?) or by replacing it with no further cost to the costomer. Well, this is what the retailer guy said. I have not spoken with Sony UK myself.
Hope this is in line with what Tony has got from Sony.

Zsolt, that is _exactly_ what I was told. It appears the issue is wider than a few units. No one other than Sony know the full extent of the problem. But at least now they are aware of the problem and are working hard on a fix.

I am soooo much happier now. 'cause this camera kicks a$$.

Anyway, just going to update the radipshare thread with another link to some 50i v 25p comparison shots. Full res shots of foliage and red brick houses and slate roofs.

Keep smiling

TT

Matthew Redmond December 13th, 2006 01:07 PM

The first time I tried to capture in FCP from the V1 I had what I thought were regular "drop outs," or breaks running right through the footage...until I opened up the LCD and saw it playing back fine in camera. It sounds like the same MPEG "lost in translation" happening on the mac.

Rewinding didn't help, but turning the camera off and on again did. The footage I recorded was just after some other test material on the tape (also HDV, but I didn't record it) - I hit capture now whilst still on this previous material - which FCP understood fine - there was then a break on the tape which then crossed over into my test material which went all to poo. After I tended to the issue it never came back.

Can't do any more tests as we only had the camera in our hands for a short period of time.

Tony Tremble December 13th, 2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Redmond
The first time I tried to capture in FCP from the V1 I had what I thought were regular "drop outs," or breaks running right through the footage...until I opened up the LCD and saw it playing back fine in camera. It sounds like the same MPEG "lost in translation" happening on the mac.

Rewinding didn't help, but turning the camera off and on again did. The footage I recorded was just after some other test material on the tape (also HDV, but I didn't record it) - I hit capture now whilst still on this previous material - which FCP understood fine - there was then a break on the tape which then crossed over into my test material which went all to poo. After I tended to the issue it never came back.

Can't do any more tests as we only had the camera in our hands for a short period of time.

It's an issue that is known about. Try using a different firewire driver in the Audio/Video Setting menu. I had the same problem and gave up trying to get it to work again and use AIC as a workaround.

Capture using AIC and everything will be fine. The drop-out occurs at the start of a new GOP. We'll require Apple to update FCP before we can batch capture.

TT

Matthew Redmond December 13th, 2006 01:27 PM

Also just to double check with you Tony -
When feeding straight from camera into a monitor you say it looks fine.
When capturing into final cut looks not so fine

But what about playing back off tape straight to a monitor?

Heath McKnight December 13th, 2006 01:34 PM

I've had no problems capturing 24p (packaged in a 60i stream) footage from the V1u with Final Cut Pro v. 5.1.2, so I wonder what's happening.

heath

Tony Tremble December 13th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Redmond
Also just to double check with you Tony -
When feeding straight from camera into a monitor you say it looks fine.
When capturing into final cut looks not so fine

But what about playing back off tape straight to a monitor?

As things have got clearer it appears I missed the 25p issues during the demo I had. I fed my V1's component input into my Dell monitor and can confirm live output and tape are affected equally badly. As soon as you select 25PScan the damage is done.

If you want 25P at the moment the only was is to use the time honoured method of using a high quality de-interlacer on 50i captures. :)

TT

Tony Tremble December 13th, 2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I've had no problems capturing 24p (packaged in a 60i stream) footage from the V1u with Final Cut Pro v. 5.1.2, so I wonder what's happening.

heath

Answers on a postcard, please!

Matthew Redmond December 13th, 2006 01:51 PM

Try this Tony - something I found odd on live monitoring with the V1

About an arms length away from the lens I held out one of my fingers horizontally. Very slowly I waggled my finger up and down in the vertical.

Do the same and watch the edges of your finger.

Heath McKnight December 13th, 2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
Answers on a postcard, please!

I'm a little confused with your reply here.

heath

Scott Webster December 13th, 2006 02:09 PM

We no longer have access to a camera. Zane leaves tomorrow for Takuu Island and you can keep up to date with the shoot via www.takuufilm.blogspot.com

Good luck Tony with Sony UK and we'll be interested on what results are found in the US.