V1 25p issues (combined threads) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
I'm a little confused with your reply here.

heath
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
Answers on a postcard, please!

Probably got lost in translation Heath. It's British and antipodean humor. Older game or variety TV, radio shows or newspapers would invite viewers/listeners/readers to win a prize by sending answers in, on a postcard or the back of an envelope.

Normal transmission will resume shortly...
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Good luck with the Doco.

I've never been to Takuu Island but have travelled (backpacked) through the South Pacific Island hopping. I hope I can return someday with a camera like this V1 or its successor. Bora Bora and Aitutaki lagoons....awe....the colours...:)

ATB

TT
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #108
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Webster
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
Answers on a postcard, please!

Probably got lost in translation Heath. It's British and antipodean humor. Older game or variety TV, radio shows or newspapers would invite viewers/listeners/readers to win a prize by sending answers in, on a postcard or the back of an envelope.

Normal transmission will resume shortly...
Ahhh, gotcha. I may have Scottish and English blood in me, but I'm a bit too American to have caught that! Thanks!!

heath
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Ahhh, gotcha. I may have Scottish and English blood in me, but I'm a bit too American to have caught that! Thanks!!

heath
Sorry, Heath I though that was a universal phrase. :)

TT
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #110
Inner Circle

Tony:

Out of curiosity ( and I confess I came in late on this one and may have missed it in the read of the thread) I am wondering if the live and taped output you are viewing that demonstrates the problem is being delivered to your monitor via firewire, or component output and if a difference will occur.
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Chris

Live component output to monitor is affected. As I said as soon as one selects 25P the damage is done whether you are recording to tape or not.

Everyone who has been made aware of the situation and has seen the oil paint effect all unanimously agree that is not fit for purpose. Not timeframe for a fix but Sony do have a good rep for sorting things.

TT
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #112
Major Player

Hi Tony,

any update from Sony UK?
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #113
Regular Crew

No Zsolt.

This is in the hands of Sony Japan now. A priority situation at Sony I'm lead to believe.

Any news I get I will pass on. I am absolutely confident this will be resolved to the satisfaction of all of us.

I am looking forward to the weather improving here in the UK to go shoot some stuff and upload so you guys can see what a dream of a camera this is.

Keep the faith...

TT
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #114
Major Player

25P V1 PAL screenshots

Hi guys,
I had the chance to shoot some 25P footage with the Z1 PAL camera this afternoon. A bunch of screenshots are online at www.orphicfilm.nl/html/v125p.html . My first impression is mixed. The footage looks okay and large with enough detail, but it isn't very crisp. It seems to contain noise, the light situation wasn't optimal but it wasn't bad either (at around 4 PM at the beach with a rather clear sky). There is also something odd going on with the footage, checkout the 3rd and 6th picture (the silver lines around the windows of the passing car, and the benches): the color/image-details look a bit strange. Is this the paint issue some people mentioned on another thread?
Looking forward to some feedback. Remember, this was a quick test with not very much knowledge of the camera settings.

Last edited by Peter Sieben; December 15th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Peter,

Those shots look dreadful. They seem, to me anyway, worse than anything I've seen from Tony or Simon's previous examples. The 4th shot in particular, of the low brick wall, is just a mess.

Tony would be best to comment as he has had experience with the 'oil paint effect'
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #116
Major Player

I agree, these are horrible. There is definitely something wrong with that unit. Even Mikko's IBC trade show footage of the V1E at 25P looked nothing like this.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #117
Regular Crew

I think we can safely say there has been a huge problem somewhere. How it happened we'll never know but we should all have faith that it'll be fixed in one way or another.

I am still having fun with 50i and look forward to a fully functioning 25P as and when.

TT

I hope they don't decide to charge us more for having a built in "impressionist filter."
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #118
Trustee

Those images look more like the gain was set high instead of the "watercolor" look shown before.
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #119
Major Player

I don't think the Gain was activated on the camera, as shooting outside at the end of the afternoon felt like the automatic exposure was not very 'enhanced/pushed', it was natural as I would expect it comparing with the light situation. But I can't tell for 100%.

CMOS sensors are less sensitive, am I right? And the size of them (1/4 inch) must also have influence on it's lesser sensitivity? Any insights from the technical side?
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #120

You could easily have your iris set to compensate for exposure by adding gain. You *must* go into the menu settings and disable shutter priority and/or gain priority in the camera straight out of the box.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7