DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1 25p issues (combined threads) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81422-v1-25p-issues-combined-threads.html)

Zsolt Gordos December 15th, 2006 04:57 PM

Now I am seriously worried. My V1 arrives on Monday. Maybe I will use same day delivery - as in back to the store...

Peter Sieben December 15th, 2006 05:02 PM

Hi Spot, the only thing I managed to find within the small session this afternoon was setting the shutter speed at 1/50 second (and activating the 25P modus). To have a nice average framerate for 25P footage. I didn't touch any other functions in the camera as it was basically coming straight from the box. Could this cause the image/gain problems?

Peter Sieben December 15th, 2006 05:07 PM

Here is one videoclip from the footage (in HD WMV9 format):
http://www.videomontageforum.nl/ubbt...?Number=104504

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 15th, 2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Sieben
Hi Spot, the only thing I managed to find within the small session this afternoon was setting the shutter speed at 1/50 second (and activating the 25P modus). To have a nice average framerate for 25P footage. I didn't touch any other functions in the camera as it was basically coming straight from the box. Could this cause the image/gain problems?

Could this cause the image/gain problems?
Absolutely! Most likely, in fact.
To correctly set the camcorder for manual gain, select the menu button.
Now select Camera Setup.
Now scroll down to Iris.
Set Iris to "Iris." Not Iris-Auto Shutter, and not Iris Auto Gain.
Scroll back up to exit.
Select menu again to exit the menu.
Now your gain is manual, and displayed in the preview window.

Peter Sieben December 15th, 2006 05:23 PM

Thanks Spot. Within two weeks I might be able to do a second try and will alter the settings as you described. Weird that the standard settings are not doing the camera any justice.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 15th, 2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks Spot. Within two weeks I might be able to do a second try and will alter the settings as you described. Weird that the standard settings are not doing the camera any justice.

But they are. You didn't use the standard settings, you went into the menu and modified the camera. If you're shooting manual, then the manufacturer expects you've looked into the menus and set it up for manual use. If you want "easy" mode, put the cam in the Green Box/Easy mode and shoot that way. Whether it's Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC, or whomever, I'm not sure how they could have a "de-suck" setting that would say "well...he's got this in manual and that in auto, and it will look bad, so we'd better modify this to prevent suckage..." ;-)

Boyd Ostroff December 15th, 2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

I had the chance to shoot some 25P footage with the Z1 PAL camera this afternoon.

Peter: you said the camera was a Z1 in both the title of the thread and in your post. Did you mean V1???

Zsolt Gordos December 15th, 2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Peter: you said the camera was a Z1 in both the title of the thread and in your post. Did you mean V1???

its quite likely a typo error as Z1 cannot shoot 25p.

Peter Sieben December 15th, 2006 06:15 PM

a V1 !

Sorry guys, yes it was a V1 I hold this afternoon.

Boyd Ostroff December 15th, 2006 06:27 PM

Thanks Peter. I have changed the title of the thread to correct this.

Thomas Smet December 15th, 2006 06:49 PM

Wow are those bad. While this may be an easy fix I wonder what the heck SONY was thinking by letting this get past quality control. I mean even a two year old would be able to tell that those images just are not right. At least JVC with the split screen issue had a valid technical reason for doing it the way they did. You could still use the camera but you had to be carefull.

Some of these images to me kind of look how a really bad flat panel HDTV will try to upsample and sharpen footage and it comes out with this very odd look. From a distance it looks ok but up close it looks like poodoo.

Tony Tremble December 16th, 2006 01:48 AM

Guys the oil paint problem is magnified with the gain up.

The oil paint efect is cause by an over aggressive noise (high frequency) filter. Any high frequency detail or noise in an image is smoothed out.

Come on, let's not for get Sony know about the problem and are working on a fix.

Yes, the 25P mode is dreadful but for only the time being.

IT'S GOING TO BE FIXED.

TT

Tony Tremble December 16th, 2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet

From a distance it looks ok but up close it looks like poodoo.

It doesn't look that good!!!!

:)

Zsolt Gordos December 16th, 2006 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tremble

Yes, the 25P mode is dreadful but for only the time being.

IT'S GOING TO BE FIXED.

TT

Tony, are you certain about this? You seem to know more than you share :)

I dont mind that, I just dont want to end up without a fix.

Tony Tremble December 16th, 2006 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Tony, are you certain about this? You seem to know more than you share :)

I dont mind that, I just dont want to end up without a fix.

I am not holding anything back. There is nothing more that can be said. Sony know about the problem and it will be fixed...

TT