Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Major Player

To me anything more than 32mm is useless for run and gun shooting. In fact, the lack of a native wide angle on the V1 could potentially be a deal killer for me.

So if I go with the V1, the wide angle will be on the camera most of the time. I would love to hear from anyone who has one - how good the wide angle adapter is. Does it reduce sharpness, does it reduce light, does the zoom range hold up, is it zoom through?
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Nothing's for free Brett, and any wide-angle converter you place in front of your camcorder's zoom will degrade the performance slightly.

Generally the vignetting is more noticeable, the flare is increased a bit, the sharpness is reduced slightly, barrel distortion is increased and there's a small light loss. This all makes it sound terrible, but the reason you're fitting a widie is to see wider, and this is what you'll get.

Generally zoom-through converters are three element designs (though some are two and four, this is unusual). Most partial zoom-throughs are single element designs, so generally flare less but show greater chromatic aberation.

I'm a lover of the single element converters. They're generally more compact and lighter and yet still allow you to use half of your zoom's original range.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Just to summarize, would the wide angle adaptor for the V1 be a good purchase ? Does another wide angle lense would do better ?

Thanks
Philippe Dionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

You can believe that the genuine Sony converter will work ok with the FX7 and V1 - the only real downder being the increase in barrel distortion. This doesn't bother some folk - but I'm not one of those people.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Is that the one that spins (on M2) or vibrates (more expensive designs), right?
That's exactly right, the ground glass screen creates an area that the image can be - essentially - rear projected onto, just like in an SLR, maintaining the lens' FoV and DoF characteristics perfectly.

Just to quickly answer your questions re: 35mm vs 16mm lenses, no - they *are* 35mm lenses! Did a quick bit of research and in fact the widest Zeiss 35mm prime that Clairmont Camera hold is the 10mm T2.1 Ultra Prime - that's bloody wide!!!

Happy shooting Carlos!...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy
Not to skew the post at all, but I was just thinking....any decent, not over-priced fisheye lenses for this camera? I use the Raynox fisheye w/ my Z1U's but obviously this camera will require yet another lens.

Sorry to get off topic. :)

Agh trying not to get too off topic but how well does the raynox fish work? im still trying to toss up between it and paying the price for the century.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Have a look around the Raynox site, Joe - they put more into their demos than any other lens converter manufacturer I know.

I've used and tested two Raynox lenses and found them both to be good.

http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx1/index.htm

tom.
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
Just to quickly answer your questions re: 35mm vs 16mm lenses, no - they *are* 35mm lenses! Did a quick bit of research and in fact the widest Zeiss 35mm prime that Clairmont Camera hold is the 10mm T2.1 Ultra Prime - that's bloody wide!!!

Certainly bloody expensive too!!!...
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
You can believe that the genuine Sony converter will work ok with the FX7 and V1 - the only real downder being the increase in barrel distortion. This doesn't bother some folk - but I'm not one of those people.

Tom,

Was it you that had used or bought some Schneider or Switar aspherical adapters?
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Have a look around the Raynox site, Joe - they put more into their demos than any other lens converter manufacturer I know.

I've used and tested two Raynox lenses and found them both to be good.

http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx1/index.htm
Yes, the Raynox look like a very good bet. Their DCR-7900ZD is costing $230 from Amazon.

The only problem that I foresee is they are still threaded mount, instead of bayonet mount like the Sony or Century.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

That's me Carlos. I've used and owned wide-angle converters made by Century, Raynox, Cavision, Tecpro, Kenko, Bolex, Red Eye, Canon, Schneider, Sony and probably some others that I've forgotten about.

Most were ok, some were good but only one is excellent - and that's the single element aspheric made by Bolex for their 16 mm prime Switar lens. It's not cheap, it's hard to find, it needs a special 85 mm to your filter thread size adapter making up and it's not full zoom through. But it is the best I've used.

Look here to see what a 0.5x rectilinear converter can do for you.

tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory?-vx2000-max-wide.jpg   Anyone planning to get the Wide Angles lens accessory?-aspheron-max-wide.jpg  

Old December 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
That's me Carlos. I've used and owned wide-angle converters made by Century, Raynox, Cavision, Tecpro, Kenko, Bolex, Red Eye, Canon, Schneider, Sony and probably some others that I've forgotten about.

Most were ok, some were good but only one is excellent - and that's the single element aspheric made by Bolex for their 16 mm prime Switar lens. It's not cheap, it's hard to find, it needs a special 85 mm to your filter thread size adapter making up and it's not full zoom through. But it is the best I've used.

Look here to see what a 0.5x rectilinear converter can do for you.
By not cheap, can you say how much? Who's selling it?

Yes, I had seen that comparison of yours before, and it's very revealing. Barrel distortion is a concern for me too, because it shows when you move your camera in any way.

In my case I should get a Z1 very soon, and the original zoom seems to have that BD distortion too. There's a Century .6x WA that I bought too, but that may take longer to get here (Brazil). Will report about it when it does.

The aspheric's test seems to show some chromatic aberrations, like on the vertical lines. Is that so or am I imagining so?

You didn't by any chance do any WA comparison including more lenses, did you?

The subjective information I got on the WA adapters for the Z1 (which should be valid for V1 and FX7), is that one of the best lenses seems to be the Century .7x type, also bayonet, and the .6x a close second.

Carlos
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #28
Inner Circle

TOm, that looks unbelieveably fantastic! Where in Europe can the Bolex Switar be found?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Certainly bloody expensive too!!!...
Lol, yeah that's true!! But they're not really designed to be bought - most DPs will simply rent them when required...

That Switar W/A converter is dead sweet Tom, great info - can you give extra info to make sure anyone buying one gets the right thing? It's marked "Bolex 0.5x", I presume? Any other distinguishing markings?

I virtually never shoot without the M2/Nikkor kit these days, but I might be tempted by one of those for doco/run'n'gun stuff if I can find one kicking about...

Great find!
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
Lol, yeah that's true!! But they're not really designed to be bought - most DPs will simply rent them when required...
Well, that might be the case for full-budget producers. I was thinking of something indies could use.

Quote:
That Switar W/A converter is dead sweet Tom, great info - can you give extra info to make sure anyone buying one gets the right thing? It's marked "Bolex 0.5x", I presume? Any other distinguishing markings?
I think I saw something aspheric going around the web sometime, but it was Schneider, if I am not wrong. On above, the mark on the lens should be Switar, never Bolex.

Quote:
I virtually never shoot without the M2/Nikkor kit these days, but I might be tempted by one of those for doco/run'n'gun stuff if I can find one kicking about...
What's your camera?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7