Vegas update adds support for V1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
No argument from me, Peter. As mentioned before, it would be great if Vegas could be treated equally by the various manufacturers at all levels. Then it would easily have far more support than anything out there. In the meantime, I for one, am grateful for Raylight. Serious Magic had a good thing cookin' too, but Adobe immediately killed the product when they bought Serious Magic. Who knows...? As mxf becomes the buzzworkflow of the industry, maybe we'll see some meeting of the minds on the subject.
Put it this way.. lack of NLE support stopped me from buying 2 HVX's plus a myriad of cards.. my edit workflow is a higher priority in my studio than the camera i use, and now with newer HDV models offering very similar shooting modes (overcranking, gamma, progressive scan etc) the lean towards an "inferior" codec'd camera is forced because of this issue..

but still, im in no rush... we'll see how wit pans out when all these new formats come to the fore...
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #32
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
EDIUS does not use hardware acceleration for any codec.
Hmmm. When I drag the clip window in Edius around, the video image lags behind the frame by 10-25 pixels then catches up. What's your explanation for that?

Also from the Edius system requirements page: "A graphics card with hardware-based DirectDraw Overlay" etc . ?
Old December 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #33
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel
Hmmm. When I drag the clip window in Edius around, the video image lags behind the frame by 10-25 pixels then catches up. What's your explanation for that?

Also from the Edius system requirements page: "A graphics card with hardware-based DirectDraw Overlay" etc . ?
DirectDraw is simply Microsoft's graphics support function. The whole point of Canopus products from Day 1 is use the CPU.

FCP doesn't use any acceleration either.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #34
Contributor

Quote:
DirectDraw is simply Microsoft's graphics support function.
Yes indeed. Here is the spec on the YUV overlay mixer and the other functions, including hardware DCT decoding
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...A/default.mspx

Quote:
FCP doesn't use any acceleration either.
Core Image, Core Video and Quartz Extreme are part of the Mac's hardware accelerated graphics architecture, also used by FCP, see for example
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #35

Canopus used to be *only* about hardware acceleration, so not sure about what you mean by "since day 1." Hiro started Canopus as a hardware support company for Ulead Media Studio and Adobe Premiere. And until Matrox entered the picture, Canopus actually had staff in the Adobe building part time. Edius more or less required hardware at first release.

And as Marcus pointed out, the Microsoft implementation uses hardware acceleration. Again, not required, but for optimum performance, hardware is beneficial. FCP isn't all that different, calling on the vid card for decoding and other tasks. Again, not required, but very useful and significantly more efficient.

You might recognize this studio; we produced the Canopus training DVDs for them. We've been Canopus users in one form or another quite literally since day 1. I think I've got at least 5 Raptor cards, a few Rex cards laying around still. Canopus had RexEdit later on, but that was an extremely poor editing tool outside of great keying ability that eventually, everyone caught up with. Edius is significantly mo' betta.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #36
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Yes indeed. Here is the spec on the YUV overlay mixer and the other functions, including hardware DCT decoding
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...A/default.mspx

Core Image, Core Video and Quartz Extreme are part of the Mac's hardware accelerated graphics architecture, also used by FCP, see for example
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/
Well if your definition of "hardware acceleration" is the normal functions of your PC's graphic's cards, then every NLE uses hardware acceleration! So does every DVD player, game, etc.

Obviously when one talks about "NLE hardware acceleration" one is talking about when you add a PCI card with a specialized LSI that does certain tasks such as wipes, dissolves, proc amp, color correction, etc. in order to support RT editing. Matrox, Media 100, Avid, have made a business of such boards.

Canopus did have one PCI board to RT encode MPEG. I reviewed it years ago. Within about 18 months -- dual processors could encode at RT speeds and the product was dropped.
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #37
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Hiro started Canopus as a hardware support company for Ulead Media Studio and Adobe Premiere.
Actually, he started making ordinary PC graphics cards just like many companies. They were not sold in large quantatities in the USA because Taiwan cards were so cheap. He THEN went toward video editing.

ONCE AGAIN we are OT.

It would be very helpful if you would provide a detailed explanation of the V1's SCNA mode and the Vegas support of the V1. I have to wonder why, given the topic of this thread you have yet to respond to this very simple request. One that has also been made at the Vegas site.

It would be great if we got this information before the V1's arrive and folks puzzle through the V1 errata sheet on SCNA!
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #38
Contributor

Quote:
Well if your definition of "hardware acceleration" is the normal functions of your PC's graphic's cards, then every NLE uses hardware acceleration! So does every DVD player, game, etc.

Obviously when one talks about "NLE hardware acceleration" one is talking about when you add a PCI card with a specialized LSI that does certain tasks such as wipes, dissolves, proc amp, color correction, etc.

I would want to expand that definition to include hardware acceleration for VLC decoding, inverse DCT, and YUV to RGB conversion. Fair enough?
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #39

Quote:
I would want to expand that definition to include hardware acceleration for VLC decoding, inverse DCT, and YUV to RGB conversion. Fair enough?
By nature of the industry definition of hardware acceleration going back nearly 12 years; any application or process that uses any hardware other than the CPU falls into the category of "Hardware acceleration" by most standard forms of conversation, so IMO, the clarity Marcus asks for is already apparent and redundant.
The Canopus Raptor, for example, had no acceleration for wipes, dissolves, color correction, proc amp, but was absolutely a hardware decoder and accelerator. Without it, nothing could use the Canopus codec and display/process. It wasn't until later that Canopus offered cards that managed to accelerate the processing of wipes, dissolves, color correction, proc amp, etc.

This thread has meandered enough that there is little point in allowing it to continue.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7