DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Final Verdict.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81556-final-verdict.html)

Ryan Schultz December 11th, 2006 09:13 PM

Final Verdict....

Hey Guys!

I've been looking around the forums for a long time, but have never felt the need to register or anything yet. Anywho, I am going to be filming alot of snowboarding/skiing this winter again, and was planning on buying a FX1 (used by a few popular companies that film) but right as i was about to buy it, Sony came out with the FX7.

Now, I have been reading ALOT, and still can't decide. Both the FX7 and the FX1 I am looking at are both 3,000, so price isn't the issue. But rather, wondering about the final verdict on the FX7. I can't seem to find an exact answer as the how it compares (audio, mainly video) to the FX1, as it seems that some think the FX1 is better, or the FX7 is better.

I can't decide. I know I will be happy with either camera, but, Any help to clear this up is much appreciated! Thanks alot!!!

Paul Watkins December 11th, 2006 10:20 PM

check out this sight for samples and info.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...t.de%2f13.html

BTW. If you are shooting outdoor and daylight most of the time the clearvid of the FX7 seems like your camera.

Ryan Schultz December 12th, 2006 02:25 PM

Anyone else with firsthand expierence care to share, rather than more URLS tosseda t me? :-D I hav read every url on this site and almos every thread on it, but still cant get it.

Chris Medico December 12th, 2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Schultz
Anyone else with firsthand expierence care to share, rather than more URLS tosseda t me? :-D I hav read every url on this site and almos every thread on it, but still cant get it.

Like most things in life its pretty subjective. I would recommend you get to a demo and try them both out. What works for you might not work for me.

As an example.. There has been a lot of discussion about sensitivity. I understand that if you are shooting under low light for an audience with a critical eye, noise is a real issue. 99% of my stuff will be done in broad daylight at a racetrack. When the light does start to get low I'm more interested in not having smear with headlights.

So for me the choice is simple. CMOS is has the edge over CCD in my application. Your application might require more sensitivity with lower noise and my opinion would be worthless.

Now, if you can post more information about your application someone may be able to give you a better answer than the one I can offer.

Stu Holmes December 12th, 2006 05:32 PM

Agree with Chris on this.

Performance factors that are important to one person (maybe low light, maye dynamic range, maybe audio etc etc) may be far less important to a second person who has different priorities.

I'm afraid that this sort of thing is never really ever going to be a matter of "I can't decide which one is better". It's a matter of which one is better *for you* and your purposes.

In the end however much you read, however many stills you look at, however many m2T clips you watch, nothing will be as convincing as going to a good store and handling them both, and maybe taking a blank tape and shooting an identical scene on both cams and then playing that tape back later at home or in the store itself.

just my 2cents on that.

Ryan Schultz December 12th, 2006 11:18 PM

Well.....about a good 75% of the shots will be done in Broad daylight, in the mountains. the other 25% will be night shots, but with decent lighting behind them. Now, is it proven that the image quality on the FX7 in optimal/good lighting is indeed better?

Marcus Marchesseault December 13th, 2006 01:45 AM

"is it proven that the image quality on the FX7 in optimal/good lighting is indeed better?"

It is impossible to prove something that is subjective. In my opinion, the FX7 images look clearly better. Can I prove it? I sure can! As soon as I do, someone will prove the opposite. It depends on your point of view. If I were to attempt to be objective and make a list of camera attributes that are positive and add which cameras have more checks in the positive column, I think the FX7 would win. Of course, there aren't a whole lot of users of the FX7 yet, but the footage looks good so far. Regardless, the FX1 is still a nice camera.

I think there might be a used FX7 in the classified ad section of this forum...