DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Redrock Micro M2 on a V1U? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81602-redrock-micro-m2-v1u.html)

Greg Quinn December 12th, 2006 12:20 PM

Redrock Micro M2 on a V1U?

I'd like to get a Redrock Micro M2 35mm adaptor for the V1U I have on order. Does anyone know the mount sizes that I need to specify for the M2 adaptor to fit the V1U?

Many thanks.

Greg

Chris Barcellos December 12th, 2006 12:45 PM

Sony throws another curve ball to us on that one, coming up with a filter sized of 62mm. The HD Achromats are all 72mm, so a stepup ring will be required for the achromat.

I have not heard about how close focusing issues are with the camera and whether an extension spacer might be required. Maybe you will be the first to marry the M2 to the V1U, and we get to learn from you !!

Scott Webster December 12th, 2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
I'd like to get a Redrock Micro M2 35mm adaptor for the V1U I have on order. Does anyone know the mount sizes that I need to specify for the M2 adaptor to fit the V1U?

Do you think the M2 with it's 1, to 1-1/2 loss of stop, is going to be suitable for the V1?

Todd Giglio December 12th, 2006 12:47 PM

Greg,

You will need to get a 62mm to 72mm step-up ring (the achromat is 72mm). Then all you have to do is decide which lens mount you need (I have the Nikon mount). I'm not sure if the V1U will need shims (the Z1U does), but I guess I'll find out once my V1U arrives.

I get great images with the Z1U and hope for the same with the V1U.

Peace.

Todd

Todd Giglio December 12th, 2006 12:48 PM

Chris beat me to the punch :)

Chris Barcellos December 12th, 2006 12:52 PM

Scot: Slower than what. I've been experimenting with a self built Micro35 from the Redrock DIY kit, and my FX1, shooting in dimly lit living area at my home. Yes, to get ideal results, lighting is need. Otherwise, I am pushing gain and seeing grain. In day light out doors, it is not a problem. You even have to use NDs....

Greg Quinn December 12th, 2006 01:17 PM

Todd, Chris, Scott, thanks very much for the replies and information (I'd be lost without this community...)

Dominic Jones December 12th, 2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scot Webster
Do you think the M2 with it's 1, to 1-1/2 loss of stop, is going to be suitable for the V1?

Well, technically the M2 itself loses around 1/2 a stop of light, but you also have to add in (at least) the minimum amount of light loss from the taking (35mm) lens as well, which will usually be at least 1 stop - so around 1 1/2 - 2 stops is probably about right for shooting wide open, depending on your lens.

It doesn't look like the V1 looses much against the Z1 for minimum illumination levels, so I doubt the camera'll make that much difference - after all, interiors need to be lit for decent results with any camera on these systems, and exteriors are never going to be a problem except at night - but again, what's new?!

Scott Webster December 12th, 2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Jones
Well, technically the M2 itself loses around 1/2 a stop of light, but you also have to add in (at least) the minimum amount of light loss from the taking (35mm) lens as well, which will usually be at least 1 stop - so around 1 1/2 - 2 stops is probably about right for shooting wide open, depending on your lens.

It doesn't look like the V1 looses much against the Z1 for minimum illumination levels, so I doubt the camera'll make that much difference - after all, interiors need to be lit for decent results with any camera on these systems, and exteriors are never going to be a problem except at night - but again, what's new?!

We have the M2 set up for the DVX and HVX but there seems to be contradictory setup advice on the RRM site with regard to the Z1. Spacer ring or no spacer ring?

Ahhh my missing 't' is back Thanks Chris!