DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Rapidshare Comparison clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81606-rapidshare-comparison-clips.html)

Tony Tremble December 12th, 2006 01:33 PM

Rapidshare Comparison clips

Since my dealer has recreated the 25p image quality I have seen I thought it was now ok to post some comparison clips as it's not just my camera that is faulty at least.

For those that want to see 25P images compared to 50i images then follow the link. Very short clip zoomed 350%ish. Apparently it has been said, by a moderator on another forum, that the prog-mode doesn't match my very high expectations. Does it meet anyone's expectations at all??

If the Prog footage floats your particular boat then this is the cam for you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/7211875/..._Zoom.mov.html

It's about 19MB in size, exported as a QT h264 Best etc etc.

TT

Zsolt Gordos December 12th, 2006 01:50 PM

Well Tony, whats your plan? Will you return the camera?

I am waiting for my ordered copy (ordered from the UK) but I dont think it will be any better.
Sony might consider something if they see sales not picking up...right?

Piotr Wozniacki December 12th, 2006 01:55 PM

Tony,

For those PC users, this .mov format is unplayable. Can you encode differently, please?

Zsolt Gordos December 12th, 2006 01:57 PM

Piotr, dont you have Quicktime player? Its a free download.

Laurent Delaroziere December 12th, 2006 02:20 PM

this is very ugly!

Piotr Wozniacki December 12th, 2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos

Yes I do, but the free version lacks some component, apparently required by this specific encoding.

Tony Tremble December 12th, 2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Well Tony, whats your plan? Will you return the camera?

I am waiting for my ordered copy (ordered from the UK) but I dont think it will be any better.
Sony might consider something if they see sales not picking up...right?

Zsolt,

My dealer was equally horrified. But now they have seen the problem for themselves they were much more understanding of my concerns. They agreed it was totally unusable and had never seen video like it.

In terms of my plan, I dunno. The V1 is almost a special camera unfortunately let down massively by this 25p issue. Ideally I would like a V1 that renders 25P in the same quality as the V1U renders 24P. That's what I thought I was buying. I really don't know what I am going to do. But I am going to sleep on it.

I'll try and post some more Rapidshare clips of other bits n pieces tomorrow.

TT

Ali Husain December 12th, 2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

VLC player runs on windows, linux, and macos; plays almost everything including quicktime; and it's not evil so it doesn't change your file or browser/file associations.

http://www.videolan.org/

Piotr Wozniacki December 12th, 2006 03:26 PM

Tony, would you care to post just the raw .m2t files in pairs (50i vs 25p)? We'd all be grateful!

Zsolt Gordos December 12th, 2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
Zsolt,

My dealer was equally horrified. But now they have seen the problem for themselves they were much more understanding of my concerns.

Now I am horrified, too. With the slight difference that I ordered the bloody thing online fron the UK, so it would take a tremendous amount of hassle to get my money back if the milk turns sour.

Piotr Wozniacki December 12th, 2006 03:51 PM

Zsolt,

I understand your anxiety - I've almost ordered mine, and probably from the same batch. But you'll have the Prime Support with it, so I reckon a distance from the supplier is not important, if Sony admits your claims. If they don't - well, the dealer wouldn't either - so what's the difference where he is located? Just trying to calm you down...

Tony Tremble December 12th, 2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Tony, would you care to post just the raw .m2t files in pairs (50i vs 25p)? We'd all be grateful!

There are no raw m2ts. Captured in FCP to native HDV QT. There is nothing stopping you upgrading to Quicktime Pro to view the clips. Well worth the cost if you ask me. I did the upgrade when I was solely PC based.

TT

Rick Hensley December 12th, 2006 05:04 PM

question

"Ideally I would like a V1 that renders 25P in the same quality as the V1U renders 24P. "

I am a bit confused right now after all these posts.
Are we sure at this point that this is only a problem for 25p and it does not occur in 24p footage?

Tony Tremble December 12th, 2006 05:14 PM

Rick

Judging by the footage posted by the like of Douglas Spotted Eagle no absolutely not. 24P looks gorgeous as I'd hoped 25P would.

I don't think you US customers have much too worry about. The only concern would be 30P as it might show the same problem as 25P. But if you've got good 60i and 24P that'll probably be enough for you and if 30P show the same degradation as 25P does you might view that as minor inconvenience instead of a deal breaker for us! :)

I can asure you the camera is fantastic in every other facet. It's light, well balanced everything is at hand good in low light etc etc. It really is a fine piece of kit.

TT

Rick Hensley December 12th, 2006 05:28 PM

thanks

thanks for the response Tony

still makes me a bit uneasy though,