DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Less depth of field (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81818-less-depth-field.html)

Chris Jothi December 15th, 2006 02:07 PM

Less depth of field

Hi all,

I used the V1 for the first time yesterday and found it more difficult to produce a shallow depth of field than using the PD170 or Z1E.

I am not trying to enter into the debate about emulating a film look and why having a shallow depth of field is better blah blah blah. I just wanted to achieve a specific shot for the project at hand and was somewhat disappointed with how the V1 performed.

So is this just me, was I having an off day? Or is it something to do with the sensor?

As for the camera, I would give it a 7 out of 10. The image is full of detail, crisp and clear. It may not have the colour depth of more expensive cameras, but as far as small video cameras go, this one is worth considering. The LCD is fine, although I did notice a very, very slight pink hue in the whites that did not show up on my monitor. I also like the fact that you can save your profile to a memory stick for future shoots.

Heath McKnight December 15th, 2006 03:32 PM

It has a longer zoom (20x) which will help. Remember, make sure the iris is open all the way.

heath

Tim Le December 15th, 2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jothi
So is this just me, was I having an off day? Or is it something to do with the sensor?

Nope, it's not just you. The sensor on the V1 (1/4") is smaller than the ones on the PD170 and Z1 (1/3") so the depth of field is deeper by about 40%. Here are some numbers:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=16

Marcus Marchesseault December 15th, 2006 04:26 PM

I find that all cameras with 1/3" chips have impractically large depth of field. I have never been able to get a decent out-of-focus background with the VX2000 or FX1, so I ordered the Brevis35 lens adapter. The problem with zooming in to simulate shallow depth of field is that it makes the field of view too narrow. By making the FOV narrow, the background that may have been a bit interesting if out of focus turns into a small, featureless patch that is out of focus with the subject in crystal clear.

Tony Tremble December 16th, 2006 02:19 AM

Less DOF yes, BUT, the shear abundance of resolution really helps the subject in the foreground "jump" off the screen. In this regard the camera is excellent.

I am sure you'll find, like I did, that the lower DOF is not the problem the numbers suggest it might be. DOF lower + resolution higher = not the problem it's cracked up to be.

I am looking forward to some good weather to get out and get some shots to show people how good this camera is. We've had nothing but heavy overcast light since I received the camera. The forecast looks better though.

Expect some clips soon.

TT

Marcus Marchesseault December 16th, 2006 03:43 AM

"the shear abundance of resolution really helps the subject in the foreground "jump" off the screen."

I hadn't thought of that. Interesting observation. I get mine Monday! :)

We've had nothing but nice weather here. If your clouds migrate here just in time for the arrival of my camera I'll know who to blame.

Neal Wagner December 16th, 2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
" I get mine Monday! :)

Marcus, did you get the shipment verification from B&H or did you order elsewhere and does your order include the DR60?
I have not received the B&H shipment notice and I ordered both early on. Of course, I live on a 'neighbor island.'!

Marcus Marchesseault December 16th, 2006 02:51 PM

I'm guessing it's the DR60 that is holding you up. I only got the V1, from B&H, along with an extra battery and a camera bag. The V1 alone is showing up as in-stock, but the one with the DR60 as part of the package is still "accepting orders". Mine is actually in Honolulu, but the slackers at UPS won't be delivering it until Monday! Slackers! Lazy, good-for-nothing slackers! Don't they know the pain I am going through? :)

Geoff Murrin December 16th, 2006 02:53 PM

Shallow Depth of Field is just an in vogue style or fashion...

And really has no bearing on how cinematic an image is. I just watched "The Andromeda Strain", directed by Robert Wise, and they composed beautiful shots with split field diopters to acheive a very deep DOF. And it looks great! And I'm sure someone(Redrock?) will have a spinning ground glass solution for the V1U soon enough.

Neal Wagner December 16th, 2006 02:54 PM

Marcus, the UPS guys are probably trying it out! FedEx tracking also often shows a shipment sitting at Honolulu for days until the 'expected arrival' date -- so I'm convinced they just enjoy playing with all the new stuff!

Chris Medico December 16th, 2006 03:00 PM

You guys are having better luck than I am. Mine was ordered over a month ago and still showing "On Order" even though B&H received them last Thursday. :(