Can anyone post V1 vs Canon A1 comparison shots? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Picking between the Canon XH-A1 & Sony V1U is like picking between a BMW & Benz. You know both are very nice car and no matter what you choose, you'll definitely have a very nice car to drive. The Canon XH-A1 is cheaper and will save your around $500 and you can use the extra money for some accessories for your camcorder. I also like the manual controls and settings on the Canon.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM   #17
Trustee

So in the end it might come down to things like placement of connectors and the quality of service from the two vendors.

I don't like that the V1 has the XLRs back on top, the Z1 got it right, why did Sony go backwards with the V1? The A1 seems to have it right.

At the same time Sony's service network is the best there is, at least down here although Canon seem to be getting better at it.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
So in the end it might come down to things like placement of connectors and the quality of service from the two vendors.

I don't like that the V1 has the XLRs back on top, the Z1 got it right, why did Sony go backwards with the V1? The A1 seems to have it right.

At the same time Sony's service network is the best there is, at least down here although Canon seem to be getting better at it.
I can't fault the V1 ergonomics, weight, big LCD and the excellent monitoring tools which can't be beat. Prime support worked efficiently so I'm a happy bunny. :)

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Leong
The Canon XH-A1 is cheaper and will save your around $500 and you can use the extra money for some accessories for your camcorder.
The V1u does come with a high quality external microphone and the XH-A1 doesn’t include one which is one of the reasons why Canon is able to release it for 3700 dollars although the XH-A1 does have an internal microphone.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
The V1u does come with a high quality external microphone and the XH-A1 doesn’t include one which is one of the reasons why Canon is able to release it for 3700 dollars although the XH-A1 does have an internal microphone.
I'm pretty sure the V1U comes with the same mic as the A1U, from what I've read one of the first things everyone does is replace that stock mic. At the Sony HDV conference promoting the V1, the guy was praising the camera but really dogged the mic.
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #21
Major Player

I have replaced the stock mic with a Rode. Unfortunately the stock mic has got a cable with one plug only (the other side of the cable is built into the shaft of the mic), but the Rode comes without cable.
So if you plan to replace the mic, order a short cable same time.
Zsolt Gordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I know there is a lot of interest comparing these cameras. I'm afraid I only have a V1U so that is all I can offer. If anyone in the Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro NC area has an A1 and wants to get together to shoot some footage together I'm game!

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #23
New Boot

I think it would be interesting to compare the dynamic ranges

It would be great if someone had both of these cameras side by side and posted some examples of an inside shot towards a bright window. Color representation and even DOF can be tweaked in post, but dynamic range is hard to change.

Anyway, that's the thing to compare, in my opinion: dynamic range.

I'd be really interested if anyone were to post some examples.

Thanks!
Devin Anderton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Major Player

if anyone in Toronto owning a V1U can spare an hour or 2 in the afternoon on a weekend to do an XH-A1 comparision, I'm up for it.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #25
Trustee

One thing I like about the Canon that so far no one has mentioned.

The 50Hz version of the Canon can it seems shoot 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i and 60i.

That's a LOT of options, even though I'm in 50Hz land shooting 30p attracts me as well as being able to shoot 50i.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
The 50Hz version of the Canon can it seems shoot 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i and 60i.
It doesn't come as standard, but both 50Hz and 60Hz versions of the camera can be upgraded (for a price) to shoot all the frame rates. I think the price is a few hundred dollars.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
shooting 30p attracts me as well as being able to shoot 50i.
Just out of curiosity Bob, why do you like 30p? What is the characteristics 30p can deliver, say vs 25p?
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Just out of curiosity Bob, why do you like 30p? What is the characteristics 30p can deliver, say vs 25p?
Smoother motion rendition. I'd LOVE 60p but that isn't going to happen for a long time.

As far as I know Canon only make native 60Hz versions of their HDV cameras, You then have the option to add 50Hz, so all Canon HDV cameras that'll shoot 50Hz retain the 60Hz frame rates.
I'll check this again but Canons ads for the XL H1, A1 and G1 list the 60Hz fps with an option to add 50Hz frame rates. This matches what Canon told me at NAB last, mind you getting that info took a lot of being bounced around their stand.
Memo to NAB exhibitors, people go there expecting your staff to know your product, some attendees do come from other countries.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
so all Canon HDV cameras that'll shoot 50Hz retain the 60Hz frame rates.
I hope that's true - I read it as the option to get the *other* framerates (be that 60Hz in PAL-land or 50Hz in NTSC-ville), rather than how you have it.

That might swing me to the A1 over the V1, actually - 30p's very useful, and 50/60i field split for 50 and 60 fps can be a boon for drama too, even if you have got to take a res hit...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Anderton
It would be great if someone had both of these cameras side by side and posted some examples of an inside shot towards a bright window. Color representation and even DOF can be tweaked in post, but dynamic range is hard to change.

Anyway, that's the thing to compare, in my opinion: dynamic range.

I'd be really interested if anyone were to post some examples.

Thanks!
The only person I know who tested of the two camcorders in parallel is Wolfgang Winne. In his site (in German) under http://www.fxsupport.de/15.html , you will find various m2t files straight from tape. I think one can form some opinion from his data. For example, the following stills are taken from the first day shot file:

for the A1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/...0/1/a1_day.jpg
and for the FX7:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/.../1/fx7_day.jpg

Here the FX7 exhibits a greater dynamic range, noticeable from the shadow under the roof and the details (or lack of) from the grey stone border of the roof.

Conversely, the following pictures are taken from the first night shot file:

for the A1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/...1/a1_night.jpg
and for the FX7:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/.../fx7_night.jpg

Here the FX7 exhibits a smaller dynamic range, see the lights in the petrol station versus the details from the building in the top left of the picture (see also the details, or lack of for the FX7, in the lit windows from this building).

To get these pictures, I used VLC to play the mt2 files, then use a screen grab and saved the files as compressed jpegs using Image ready ("save for web in Photoshop). The jpeg look quite similar to the originals on my monitor, and anyone can download the mt2 files anyway. I am just trying to save bandwidth (50K jpeg versus 70Megs mt2...).

I should also point out that Wolfgang Winne used a personal preset on the A1. The default settings or another, differently tweaked, preset may give different results.

Are those the kind of comparison you were interested in? I am still not very sure what to conclude myself.

I only own an A1 myself. I would be willing to post more data from it if requested, but I can't do the same for a FX7/V1 I do not own. I had the occasion to play with both cameras for an evening before I bought my A1, this is all I know about the FX7.
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7