DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1 exposure dial modes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/81938-v1-exposure-dial-modes.html)

Piotr Wozniacki December 17th, 2006 08:31 AM

V1 exposure dial modes

In the menu, yoou can choose between 3 modes fro the dial:

-Exposure1 (default); adjusting both iris and gain with shutter speed kept constant,
-Exposure2; adjusting just iris, with gain and shutter speed constant
-Iris (no explanation in the menu).

While the last option seems self-explanatory, how does it differ from Exposure2? Have anyone checked yet?

Chris Hurd December 18th, 2006 10:56 AM

Since nobody else has answered this, I'll take a shot at it. Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, please.

The camera menu can assign one of four (not three) operating modes to the iris wheel (located between the Exposure / Iris button and the Push AF button just behind the zoom ring). The four modes are Exposure 1, Exposure 2, Iris, and AE Shift.

Exposure 1 -- adjusts exposure with a combination of iris and gain, both controlled by this dial. An "E" appears in the display next to the f/stop and gain settings. Basically you're working with iris and gain together in this mode, and both are controlled by the iris wheel. The Gain button is inactive in this mode, since it's controlled by the iris wheel. The shutter speed is locked in this mode, so the Shutter button is inactive as well.

Exposure 2 -- similar to Exp. 1 except gain control is not active. The wheel controls iris only. An "E" appears in the display next to the f/stop setting. Shutter and Gain buttons are inactive in this mode. Gain and shutter speed both remain locked in this mode.

Iris -- similar to Exp. 2 except now the Gain and Shutter buttons are active. The wheel controls iris only, and you can manually adjust iris, shutter or gain while shooting in this mode.

AE Shift -- is an adjustment of the autoexposure settings provided by the camera when shooting in automatic mode. In this mode, the iris wheel provides a way to shift the autoexposure setting to be lighter or darker according to taste.

Anybody care to elaborate on this?

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2006 11:06 AM

Thanks Chris - you have just confirmed, in a very professional fashion, what I have discovered during those first hours of actually using the control. What I missed at first (hence posted the question) was the fact that in the Iris mode the Gain and Shutter buttons are active, opposite to the Exposure2 mode. Very nice features...

Of course, I didn't mention the fourth mode (AE shift) as this is only relevant to auto, just like in any other camera.

Thanks!

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 18th, 2006 11:11 AM

Nothing more to elaborate, Chris, you answered it well. I'd missed the question last night.