DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1e Clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/82027-v1e-clips.html)

Tony Tremble December 18th, 2006 04:59 PM

V1e Clips

Clip1, Sunset (26MB) - H264,1280x720P deinterlaced from 1080i50.
http://rapidshare.com/files/8063032/Sunset.mov.html

Clip2, Lighthouse, Fishermen, Zoom out (Shows the incredible reach of the lens) (99MB) - Compression as before.
http://rapidshare.com/files/8099877/...dBill.mov.html

Clip3, Fog bank rolling off The Ridgeway into farm land below, mid morning. (90MB) Same compression.
http://rapidshare.com/files/8147767/...tLand.mov.html

The compression reduces the 3D effect of the V1 images. The fence post in the first scene stands out much more when viewing the original than the QT. Switching between QT and FCP has proven to me the 3D effect is real.
Settings for Clip3, Sharpness 3, CineGamme type1, Cinematone colour ON, Black Compress. All other PP settings default.

TT

Dominic Jones December 18th, 2006 05:19 PM

That's lovely mate, thanks for sharing - great colour, as you say that lovely lack of v smear and the latitude and highlight handling really shines in that clip too... Very exciting...

Looking forward to more clips!

Tony Tremble December 18th, 2006 06:00 PM

The QT is a little down in saturation and soft compared to the original.

It's just so easy to get a great image out of this camera.

Dominic, I'm just down the coast from you in Dorset. Work in London but still call Dorset home.

TT

Dominic Jones December 18th, 2006 06:32 PM

Ah, I did wonder, having noticed you were from the UK - my housemate's just down in Devon as I type, actually, visiting family and friends!

Thanks again for all your efforts over the last week or so, you should be charging Sony commission...

Ray Bell December 18th, 2006 07:17 PM

Tony, the footage looks great... thanx for posting

Sean Woods December 18th, 2006 10:25 PM

Very nice indeed.

C.S. Michael December 18th, 2006 10:38 PM

Wow - beautiful clip. Thanks for sharing! I'm popping popcorn in anticipation of V1 footage this week. :-)

Tony Tremble December 19th, 2006 02:11 AM

Another link added.

Kristin Stewart December 19th, 2006 05:36 AM

Thanks Tony for your clips. Great work !

Ken Ross December 19th, 2006 08:07 AM

Tony, one thing I've noticed with all the FX7s I've played with (including the one I own), is edge enhancement. I didn't see any evidence of that in your shots. I'm now talking about the U.S. model in interlaced mode. It is particularly obvious with things such as wires against a sky or any hard edged object against the sky or other flat background. It appears the default sharpness setting is 7, but I've tried lowering it to the point where the EE almost disappears. The problem with that is that the video then becomes soft at that greatly reduced sharpness setting.

Now I'm not saying that the EE is apparent in all videos, but when it's there it's obvious. Ironically my little Canon HV10 HDV cam is almost devoid of this issue. Any thoughts?

Tony Tremble December 19th, 2006 09:24 AM

Ken

I set the sharpness down to 3 which, for me, gives a more natural look at a cost of a bit of faux resolution. Sharpness at 7 is way too edgy for my taste and at 15 it looks down right ugly.

I don't know why the HV10 is devoid of the issue other than to say it is an extraordinarily good camera. In know very little of the HV10 specification wise but have heard v.good reports.

More clips coming...

TT

Ing Poh Hii December 20th, 2006 02:47 AM

Hi Tony, It's very beautiful shot, thanks a lot for sharing.

A quick question, do you think FX7 can produce the same quality of picture you have made ? since it is 50i, I wonder any V1-only-feature has been used to make these clips ?

Many thanks~

Tony Tremble December 20th, 2006 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ing Poh Hii
Hi Tony, It's very beautiful shot, thanks a lot for sharing.

A quick question, do you think FX7 can produce the same quality of picture you have made ? since it is 50i, I wonder any V1-only-feature has been used to make these clips ?

Many thanks~

Hiya, glad people like the clips.

I used cinematone colour, cine gamma, black compensation and knee point adjustements in the clips not all at the same time. Which, I understand, you don't get on the FX7.

I'd need to go through my notes as to which clips had which setting applied.

TT

Ing Poh Hii December 20th, 2006 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
I used cinematone colour, cine gamma, black compensation and knee point adjustements in the clips not all at the same time. Which, I understand, you don't get on the FX7.
TT

urh!! If Canon makes FX7, just like A1 vs G1, there shouldn't be any different in term of firmware feature... obviously FX7 is out of consideration if I want feature above...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tremble
I'd need to go through my notes as to which clips had which setting applied.
TT

Thanks a lot in advanced :-), you must have spent a lot of them on this shot. by the way, during the shooting, does the LCD & ViewFinder look identical or similar to the final output ?

Another question, out of the thread, do you know whether V1 provides 16:9 HDV edge-cut downconvert to 4:3 DV ? It is from Z1, but I couldn't find it from V1 manual. Basically the output retains the scale of the picture but cut out only the edge of 16:9 to 4:3, no black bar no stretch.

Tony Tremble December 20th, 2006 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ing Poh Hii
urh!! If Canon makes FX7, just like A1 vs G1, there shouldn't be any different in term of firmware feature... obviously FX7 is out of consideration if I want feature above...

Thanks a lot in advanced :-), you must have spent a lot of them on this shot. by the way, during the shooting, does the LCD & ViewFinder look identical or similar to the final output ?

Another question, out of the thread, do you know whether V1 provides 16:9 HDV edge-cut downconvert to 4:3 DV ? It is from Z1, but I couldn't find it from V1 manual. Basically the output retains the scale of the picture but cut out only the edge of 16:9 to 4:3, no black bar no stretch.

Yes the LCD and viewfinder do look reasonably close to final output as I see it on my laptop LCD and Dell 24" display. I have not seen the images I have captured on a calibrated production monitor so cannot comment further. To be completely honest I just checked before answering as it's something I hadn't even considered. I really only consider the LCD & VF for framing and use the excellent monitoring tools (allscan, expanded focus, histogram, zebras & peaking) to ensure I get a good image. The shear size and the ability to have all the monitoring tools active while shooting was a big plus point in favour of the Sony over than Canon. The V1's LCD makes my PD150's LCD screen look like a postage stamp in comparison.

As far as the down convert to DV it doesn't look like it post boxes the dv from the manual. It is a function I have not used nor likely to sorry.

TT