DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Dear Gosh... Where Is The Footage?!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/82163-dear-gosh-where-footage.html)

Pasty Jackson December 20th, 2006 10:43 AM

Dear Gosh... Where Is The Footage?!!

Ok, so maybe I'm a bit impatient, and quite possibly expecting a little bit too much from you current owners during the busy holiday season, but come on... take some pity on us poor, undeserving onlookers and give us some raw footage - if only 3 seconds worth!

I guess I'll go ahead and make this a specific footage request, while I'm at it: I'd like to see a raw m2t of 24p footage, standard gamma (no cinegamma), no black compress, and whatever other settings you want to use (just let us know what they are, especially if you use black knee or contrast enhance).

Thanks in advance to anybody that posts some 24p footage for us... you'll be a hero!

-PASTY

C.S. Michael December 20th, 2006 12:02 PM

It's quiet out there . . . TOO quiet. ;)

Paul Kendal December 20th, 2006 09:21 PM

Do these new cameras not work?
By my count, there are at least 10 people that have said that they have taken delivery of a new V1U....BUT we still have no footage posted yet.
Is everyone ashamed of what they are seeing from this camera or what?
Right now, I am leaning heavily toward the Canon XH-A1...someone please save me from going to the dark side and post some footage at least as good as what we are seeing from the A1.

Daniel Boswell December 20th, 2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasty Jackson
Ok, so maybe I'm a bit impatient, and quite possibly expecting a little bit too much from you current owners during the busy holiday season, but come on... take some pity on us poor, undeserving onlookers and give us some raw footage - if only 3 seconds worth!

I guess I'll go ahead and make this a specific footage request, while I'm at it: I'd like to see a raw m2t of 24p footage, standard gamma (no cinegamma), no black compress, and whatever other settings you want to use (just let us know what they are, especially if you use black knee or contrast enhance).

Thanks in advance to anybody that posts some 24p footage for us... you'll be a hero!

-PASTY

Not exactly what you requested. ..but here is a little short clip of footage taken with the cam straight out the box.

All shot in 24p (except clips showing the "digital extender" which wont allow 24p). The only menu setting I changed was I turned the contrast enhancer on.

I imported it with iMovie and it was converted to AIC 30 fps. I then downsized it for the web.

Its nothing compelling! Don't get your hopes up:

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/v1u.wmv

Pasty Jackson December 20th, 2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell
Not exactly what you requested. ..but here is a little short clip of footage taken with the cam straight out the box.

All shot in 24p (except clips showing the "digital extender" which wont allow 24p). The only menu setting I changed was I turned the contrast enhancer on.

Its nothing compelling! Don't get your hopes up:

Hey man, thanks for the footage. It's unfortunately rendered as 12fps rather than 24, but at least it's something! Footage looks good as far as colors and lattitude, but unfortunately it's hard to tell much about clarity and motion from 12p web video.

Thanks for the footage, Daniel, but let's keep it coming!!! 24p m2t's!!!

-Pasty

Daniel Boswell December 20th, 2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Hey man, thanks for the footage. It's unfortunately rendered as 12fps rather than 24, but at least it's something! Footage looks good as far as colors and lattitude, but unfortunately it's hard to tell much about clarity and motion from 12p web video.

Thanks for the footage, Daniel, but let's keep it coming!!! 24p m2t's!!!

-Pasty

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/nick.m2t

Greg Quinn December 20th, 2006 10:59 PM

Thanks Daniel for posting the raw M2T file; the resolution looks stunning. I guess it's because it's unprocessed 24P, it looks jerky when played through Nero Showtime.

Daniel Boswell December 20th, 2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
Thanks Daniel for posting the raw M2T file; the resolution looks stunning. I guess it's because it's unprocessed 24P, it looks jerky when played through Nero Showtime.

hmm...doesn't look jerky played with VLC.

Pasty Jackson December 20th, 2006 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell

It is official: Daniel Boswell is now my hero!

Thanks for the footage, Daniel. Everyone will remember you as: "the man who brought Sony 24p to the masses." Even the cat looks glorious!

As an aside, remember that this is in a 60i stream when viewing, so don't be thrown off if your NLE or media player displays "incorrect" stream information... but this is, in fact, 24p footage.

Daniel Boswell December 20th, 2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

It is official: Daniel Boswell is now my hero!

Thanks for the footage, Daniel. Everyone will remember you as: "the man who brought Sony 24p to the masses." Even the cat looks glorious!

As an aside, remember that this is in a 60i stream when viewing, so don't be thrown off if your NLE or media player displays "incorrect" stream information... but this is, in fact, 24p footage.

LOL.

More to come!

Michael Y Wong December 21st, 2006 10:48 AM

WOW the resolution on this camera appears incredible!

Chris Medico December 21st, 2006 12:13 PM

What is the best way to post some RAW footage?

As an alternative I have a server connected to the net set up to do FTP. I wouldn't want to post that info publically though.

Chris

Thomas Smet December 21st, 2006 04:46 PM

That shot of the cat clearly had the oil pint effect that the 25p cameras have. You really notice it when the camera is zoomed out. The video may look great when viewed on a HDTV but I am really worried about this camera when it comes to visual effects projects and keying. so far I have seen the oil paint effect in this shot as well as some of the images posted by Steve Mullen. It isn't as extreme as the 25p models but it is there.

Pasty Jackson December 21st, 2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
That shot of the cat clearly had the oil pint effect that the 25p cameras have. You really notice it when the camera is zoomed out. The video may look great when viewed on a HDTV but I am really worried about this camera when it comes to visual effects projects and keying. so far I have seen the oil paint effect in this shot as well as some of the images posted by Steve Mullen. It isn't as extreme as the 25p models but it is there.

The footage is completely fine - looks beautiful, crisp, accurate, and devoid of any "oil paint effect". If you're seeing some sort of noise reduction smear on your computer, it's most likely due to your player, not the footage.

Ken Ross December 21st, 2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

The footage is completely fine - looks beautiful, crisp, accurate, and devoid of any "oil paint effect". If you're seeing some sort of noise reduction smear on your computer, it's most likely due to your player, not the footage.

Yup, couldn't agree more. I played the clip on my 50" plasma and it looked great with natural colors and sharpness...much like my FX7 footage.