Major ommission on V1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
In my HDV@Work series I had Sequence with mixed 720p30, 1080i60, DV 4:3, DV 16:9 and cell phone MPEG-1. From it I made 720p, 1080i60, DV 4:3 anamorphic, DV letterboxed, and even PAL letterboxed.

Now I'll admit this is not a typical work load as it was an experiment, but I found it very EZ to create the Timeline and then let the software auto-create each output I wanted.

I understand that most posters use FCP and that's not likely to change. But, there are NLEs (Xpress Pro, EDIUS, Liquid, Vegas) that are ahead of FCP in handling mixed resolutions and aspect ratios. So I agree that for the FCP user who must deliver 4:3 this is an ommision. But, if you move past the Premiere/FCP model -- it isn't so terrible.

If read my series, I desribe how simple it is to do a key-framed Pan & Scan which is far better than a center cut.

Ok. My friends brand new system is up and running correctly now AND I got a big snoot full of FCP. It took a while to get it all configured and running smoothly.

I ended up creating several profiles or "Easy Setups" as its called so he could quickly move from one video format to the next. He does betaSP and DV depending on whats required. I also made a HDV setup because I'm sure he will be renting my V1U from me after last night. ;)

This was a very different experience from Pinnacle/Avid or Adobe.

I know its all in what you learned on but FCP 5 has got to be one of the least efficent and non-intuative interfaces I've ever seen in my life. Even the owner was having issues with it and he has been a FCP user for several years. I'm not saying that its a piece of junk or anything like that but WOW.. The learning curve I think is a lot steeper than it should be for an application like this. Capturing several different video clips in different formats is not fun. You have to change the system setup before you can change formats.

Anyway, on a side note he loved the VU1 and the footage looked great on his huge HD computer monitor. :)

Chris

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7