V1 vs FX/Z1 Low Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

V1 vs FX/Z1 Low Light

I have shot with the FXs for over a year now and love them. But because I shoot a lot of sporting events including soccer, the one major "flaw" with them was the 12x zoom. Naturally, I couldnt wait to get the V1 for its maximum 30x zoom and it did NOT disappoint. No digital artifacting at all. Major kudos to Sony for that.

However, little disappointed in low light performance so far. Even with 1/4 chips I thought they would be up to par with the FXs which are just good enough for me as an event videographer. The reason being, it produced an extremely clean image even at 18 db. \Unlike the FXs, at 12db and up, the signal is pretty noisey.

Granted I havent had time to tweak too much yet so Spot and others please chime in on suggestions and thoughts.

Possibly turning down sharpness?
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Major Player

I turned down colors and sharpness a bit and it worked.
Zsolt Gordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Try black compress to get rid of noise in the shadows. Have you tried 30P at 1/30 shutter? I thought it looked pretty good, but your application may be different than mine.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7