DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Marching ants? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/82590-marching-ants.html)

Arnold Drecker December 27th, 2006 02:10 PM

Marching ants?

Can anyone confirm that the US shipped models are perfect:

ie:

No marching ants

No smearing, or other problems?

Has anyone posted 24 p footage, m2t here,?

thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 27th, 2006 02:30 PM

24p footage has been posted here since September. There are other clips on the VASST site as well. There are also time-lapse and slowmo clips.
No marching ants, no smear, no watercolor in the US models. Please use the "Search" feature; you'll find hundreds of posts on this subject.
The US models, both pre-production and production have *not* shown any of this. There are several clips, and dozens of stills posted from both pre-production and production models.

Arnold Drecker December 27th, 2006 02:43 PM

Thank you Douglas Spotted Eagle, for a solid confirmation. The camera does look excellent.

I have searched, and the more posts I read, the more confusing it has gotten.

And I did view some clips. One of a cat, that looked great. Although that
clip was said to possible exhibit a small problem, as well. {?}

Finally, does the US model have a hit in sharpness resolution in 24p mode
over the interlace, or is it identical?

thanks again!

Steve Mullen December 27th, 2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold Drecker
Finally, does the US model have a hit in sharpness resolution in 24p mode
over the interlace, or is it identical?

With Sharpness at NORMAL (7) I see no difference and if you look at previous posts, you'll see my pix.

It appears as one dials down Sharpness, it affects P more than I. These pix have also been posted. In fact multiple sets have been posted.

So:

1) you most often can find answers to your questions with only a bit of effort.

2) IF P is less sharp, it is exactly what most people using P want.

3) Do NOT simply dial down Sharpness because you have done so with other cameras. You likely do not need to go lower than "5."

4) Adjust the Sharpness to your taste for both I and P.

Arnold Drecker December 27th, 2006 04:25 PM

Thank you Steve Mullen, for clarification.

Part of me wants to own this camera asap- but something is saying
wait a bit. I found your cine gamma 1/2 {low res} stills a good indicator of what's possible, in terms of a film look. But, stills are stills. I would really like to see more raw m2t / 24 p clips, before I decide.

Chris Rentzel December 27th, 2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Please use the "Search" feature; you'll find hundreds of posts on this subject.

Hi DSE,

Am I doing something wrong? I went to the VASST site, typed in "Sony HVR-V1U" and nothing came up. I typed "V1U" and two articles came up.

Thanks, Chris

Steve Mullen December 27th, 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold Drecker
Thank you Steve Mullen, for clarification.

Part of me wants to own this camera asap- but something is saying
wait a bit. I found your cine gamma 1/2 {low res} stills a good indicator of what's possible, in terms of a film look. But, stills are stills. I would really like to see more raw m2t / 24 p clips, before I decide.

I shot 24p because folks wanted that. However, I would never shoot a low temporal sampling rate with crushed grays. For me it's either 60i or 60p with maximim latitude. This is HD, not film. I want video that looks like HDCAM or Varicam, not the DVX100 attempting to emulate the look of "something else."

Chris Rentzel December 27th, 2006 09:32 PM

Help DSE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel
Hi DSE,

Am I doing something wrong? I went to the VASST site, typed in "Sony HVR-V1U" and nothing came up. I typed "V1U" and two articles came up.

Thanks, Chris

Hi DSE, not sure you read this???? I was hoping to read all the hundreds of posts on this, but am having trouble.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 27th, 2006 09:39 PM

Not search on the VASST site, search here on DVInfo.net. VASST doesn't have a place you can post. You can download clips from the VASST site, and they're linked from the pages you found. Or, you can download clips from here on DVInfo.net, there are actually more here now.

Chris Rentzel December 27th, 2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Not search on the VASST site, search here on DVInfo.net. VASST doesn't have a place you can post. You can download clips from the VASST site, and they're linked from the pages you found. Or, you can download clips from here on DVInfo.net, there are actually more here now.

Got it. I was thinking that there was a new site that I'd yet to discover with a lot of posts. I just read it wrong. I've read most all the post on here. So thanks.