DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Cineform products support V1 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/82595-cineform-products-support-v1-24p.html)

Steve Mullen December 27th, 2006 03:08 PM

Cineform products support V1 24p

Because Cineform products support V1 24p, Premiere Pro also supports 24p. So now there are 3 products.

Greg Quinn December 27th, 2006 03:37 PM

Anyone tested this out with PP and V1?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 27th, 2006 07:06 PM

Daily.
I'm using in V7c at the moment, but also have Avid, Edius, and PP2.0 loaded on this machine. PP2 and Vegas work flawlessly. I've just finished capturing 47 tapes from the V1 shot over the course of 5 days in rain, high speed flight, motorcycles, dark of night, etc. I have 4 V7 projects, all 10 hours each in length, all to be used as rough cut fodder for a 3 hour project. I've captured about half of the footage in CineForm, the rest are raw m2t
(the difference being that the night shots will be undergoing significant treatment/processing).

The CineForm group might be very small, but they are incredibly talented, and virtually every rev they've ever put out has been a leap and bound over the previous. Can you tell I'm a huge fan of their work? :-)

John Hewat December 28th, 2006 08:18 PM

Awesome. I've been waiting for someone to say that.

DSE, Can I confirm - you're using PP2, but are you using any of the extra 'upgrades' from Cineform, like Aspect HD or anything? I can't afford to pay for their extras so I'm just using PPro by itself - and in fact I'm using PP1.5.1 - is it safe to assume I'll be just as successful with 24p (and 25p for that matter)?

Thanks!

David Newman December 29th, 2006 12:35 AM

Douglas, thank you for your kind comments.

For Premiere Pro 1.5.1 you are looking at Aspect HD, for PPro 2.0 either Aspect HD or for highend work Prospect HD/2K. All our products support 24/25P for all HDV and P2 cameras.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 29th, 2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat
Awesome. I've been waiting for someone to say that.

DSE, Can I confirm - you're using PP2, but are you using any of the extra 'upgrades' from Cineform, like Aspect HD or anything? I can't afford to pay for their extras so I'm just using PPro by itself - and in fact I'm using PP1.5.1 - is it safe to assume I'll be just as successful with 24p (and 25p for that matter)?

Thanks!

No "extras" but just plain ole Aspect HD. I don't have the Prospect upgrade. It's a great tool, but I just don't need it for the majority of my workflow. The magic is in the codec, the rest is merely "helpful."
I understand not affording the Aspect HD plug, but trust me, you'll be MUCH happier using it than not. I don't know why Adobe is no longer putting this in the box, but it's an important part of the workflow, IMO. There are significant benefits to the application, so leave a soda or two out of your daily diet, and grab the Aspect HD app if you're doing much work with HDV.

Steve Mullen December 29th, 2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
There are significant benefits to the application, so leave a soda or two out of your daily diet, and grab the Aspect HD app if you're doing much work with HDV.

Spot, does Vegas 7's capture function support conversion to CFHD or does one still need to capture using the Cineform application?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 29th, 2006 03:04 AM

No, Vegas captures the raw m2t only. You'd need to use Connect HD if you want to convert on the fly/during capture. Vegas doesn't offer any codec choices during capture, it's based on the hardware you have (if you're using SDI) or the format coming down the firewire pipe.

John Hewat December 29th, 2006 03:49 AM

Quote:

I understand not affording the Aspect HD plug, but trust me, you'll be MUCH happier using it than not.

Hmm... I understand that that may be the case, but is it absolutely essential for the workflow? Or simply a huge benefit?

Tony Tremble December 29th, 2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Hmm... I understand that that may be the case, but is it absolutely essential for the workflow? Or simply a huge benefit?

Since Cineform provide a trial you could easily see if there is a benefit to YOUR own workflow.

I am a FCP user absolutely looking forward to getting hold of Cineform QT. Can't come soon enough! :)

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 29th, 2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

If you're compositing and working with AE, I'd say it's essential. If you're merely editing, it's just a huge benefit.

Steve Mullen December 29th, 2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

It depends on your NLE.

With PP, Aspect HD provides a complete set of very high-speed FX that really make it a great solution if you use lots of FX.

With Vegas, Cineform can't supply these FX. So you use the standard Vegas FX which are, unfortunately, not as fast.

Which raises the question of how Apple will allow Cineform to function: only has yet another codec or as an additional set of high-speed FX. If only the former, the CFHD only works as a much better AIC.

Thus a second question is raised -- on a MBP 2, who has the best RT system: FCP, EDIUS, PP, or Vegas?

My testing on a 3.2GHz P4 showed EDIUS with its double buffer system was the best PC system for native, while PP with Aspect HD was the fastest intermediate.

John Hewat December 30th, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

If you're merely editing, it's just a huge benefit.

And this is the case for 24p and 25p capture and editing? So PPro on its own can remove the pulldown?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 30th, 2006 11:56 PM

No. PP currently cannot remove the pulldown, but removing the pulldown isn't *necessary*, it's just one feature that some folks want.
So if you want 24pGOP in PP right this second, you need to use CineForm or other 24pGOP-supported HDI.

John Hewat December 31st, 2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

No. PP currently cannot remove the pulldown, but removing the pulldown isn't *necessary*, it's just one feature that some folks want.
So if you want 24pGOP in PP right this second, you need to use CineForm or other 24pGOP-supported HDI.

Thanks Douglas. Hopefully this will be my last question: If you want a 24p or 25p final product, you must be able to remove the pulldown from the V1's interlaced video stream? Therefore, Aspect HD is a requirement for PPro users who want 24p/25p?