Hdmi 1.3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Hdmi 1.3?

I don't suppose this is an HDMI 1.3 spec camcorder is it? I know that there's really no reason to complain if it's not HDMI 1.3 and that there's a lot of hype around it, etc. etc.

I just want to know so that when I pick up a 25ft HDMI cable for it I know whether or not the cables from Monoprice.com will work. Because I heard you need a Category 2 certified HDMI cable for HDMI 1.3 and all of the cables on Monoprice are said to be certified in Category 1.

Also, does anyone think that 25ft or 50ft would pose problems? I'm going to shoot most of my films in my apartment and I'd love to monitor how most of my shots are going to look on my TV.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Trustee

I can't imagine what the HDMI 1.3 spec would do for a camcorder. I think most of 1.3 is hype anyway.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Because of the uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2, etc, output that you can get through HDMI of the V1u, I’m certain that it is version 1.3 and besides, the PS3 is already 1.3.

Here is a link that talks about the benefits of 1.3 over the rest as well as what you need for a lengthy HDMI cable.
http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp

HDMI 1.3 is not hype at all.
Going from HDMI 1.2a to HDMI 1.3 is like going from USB 1.0 to 2.0.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Because of the uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2, etc, output that you can get through HDMI of the V1u, I’m certain that it is version 1.3 and besides, the PS3 is already 1.3.

Here is a link that talks about the benefits of 1.3 over the rest as well as what you need for a lengthy HDMI cable.
http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp

HDMI 1.3 is not hype at all.
Going from HDMI 1.2a to HDMI 1.3 is like going from USB 1.0 to 2.0.
Much of 1.3 is hype. They speak of severe banding with 1.2 and below in digital displays and they imply that 1.3 cures that. That is pure nonsense and hype. I've got several digital displays and they very very rarely show any type of banding. In fact, many instances of banding can be traced to the source and not the display. They show pictures of 'before/after' with 1.3 and without 1.3. The pictures are absurdly exaggerated. This has been discussed quite frequently on some other websites.

They also speak of how 1.3 provides certain audio benefits (which it does to some extent), but most of these benefits can be had without the need for 1.3.

I'm not saying there is no benefit to 1.3, but I am saying that much of what they say is indeed hype and geared to make the consumer think they absolutely must replace all 1.2 and below equipment with 1.3. "Deep color" can only be attained when the display AND source are geared for that. As of now there is nothing that can take advantage of that. They mention the billions (or trillions) of colors that can be had with 1.3, the fact is that displays today are quite capable of showing virtually all the colors that are available. Most inaccuracies in a display's colors are not due to the lack of HDMI 1.3, but rather to poor or compromised (due to cost) design.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Sorry, I know this can turn into a big thing about whether or not HDMI is a big deal... but I was posting more in the hopes of getting some direction when it comes to cables. Has anyone heard of these Category 2 compliant cables versus the Category 1 compliant cables?
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Craig Irving,
It’s always best to get the latest HDMI plugs. I heard that some people who have the cheaper 1.0 or 1.1 compliant HDMI plugs will sometimes get audio problems and although plugs that are 1.2a compliant works with future 1.3 compliant devices, you will not get the full benefits of 1.3 compliant devices so you should get 1.3 compliant plugs.

Ken Ross,
As you know, 1.3 complaint TVs aren’t out yet and we will surely see them at CES, so how are people able to conclude that 1.3 compliant TVs aren’t that much better than 1.2 or 1.2a complaint TVs as far as picture is concerned?

Anyway, here is an article I posted last month.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82182
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Um, again... my question was more to do with the cable purchase itself (Category 1 versus Category 2). I just don't want to have to replace the HDMI cables I'm going to buy since I'm buying them in 35-50 foot lengths.

Scroll to the bottom of this article if you haven't heard the new certified testing for the HDMI cables themselves. Not knowing what version of HDMI is in this new V1U (though it's doubtful it actually is 1.3 I think) I still can't make a decision whether to invest in a Category 2 cable, or just get a regular Category 1 cable.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...or_13-save.php
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Wrangler

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was hijacked with a winding discussion on opinions about various HDTV technologies. The bulk of that OT discussion was moved to a new thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83329

Please reply in this thread if you can help answer the original question. Other topics should go either in the thread linked above, or in their own thread.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Trustee

On the HDMI.org site, it mentions this:

Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. Cable manufacturers are expected to sell reasonably priced copper cables at lengths of up to 15 meters. As semiconductor technology improves, even longer stretches can be reached with fiber optic cables, and with active cable technologies such as amplifiers or repeaters.

Q. I need to connect two devices with 20 feet of cable, but the cable I bought doesn’t seem to work at that length.
One solution is to buy a higher-quality cable. Another is to use an HDMI repeater.

For the length you’re trying to use, you may get problems so to be on the safe side I’d get a category 2.

As for rather the V1u is HDMI 1.3 compliant, you can read this thread, although it was never really answered.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=82246

I really do think the V1u does have 1.3 because soon you will see camcorders with Mini HDMI outputs and mini HDMI is something that was added to the 1.3 specification. I still wish there were someone that can come here and give a straight answer.
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you for your input. I may in fact have to get one of MonoPrice's extenders. I have a concern now for the HDMI connector though. I've heard stories that if you're going with a long 24AWG or 22AWG cable that it's going to give quite a pull on the actual port.

For those people using HDMI while shooting (whether it be for live-capturing or monitoring on a TV) do you have the same concerns?

I'm thinking of picking up one of those "Port Savers" from MonoPrice, but it only gives another 8 inches. I can see that working for a TV where the cable could then rest on a stand or something, but not when your camera is set up on a tripod off the ground. Should I be concerned for the port on the camcorder?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should just be attaching couplers and running component cables now instead.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Since Sony just released specs on all the upcoming consumer HD cameras using marketing speak like "x.v.Color™ technology" I'm starting to think that *those* ones have HDMI 1.3 because that's the "Deep Colour" feature that was added to HDMI 1.3. I'm thinking they probably would've slapped that label on the V1U when they were promoting it. Maybe they're reserving it for the replacement for the HVR-Z1U.
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #12
Major Player

A dude in a TV shop told me that the only cable capable of transmitting a 1080p signal was HDMI 1.3. So given that the V1 is a 1080p capable camera... doesn't that suggest that it should be?
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hdmi

what is the advantage in using this to say usb 2 is it spedd or what?
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
A dude in a TV shop told me that the only cable capable of transmitting a 1080p signal was HDMI 1.3. So given that the V1 is a 1080p capable camera... doesn't that suggest that it should be?

This is a false statement, made by the "dude at the TV shop".

Not to mention the fact that the camcorder is outputting 1080i through the HDMI, not 1080p. The 24/30p is only achieved through 2:3 Pulldown when using computers and NLEs. At least that is my understanding so far.
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Saw this article and thought of you guys.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/08...wireless-hdmi/

Wireless HDMI hmmm that would be useful on a camera! For that 4:2:2 uncompressed untethered feeling...

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7