DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Mic mount diameter question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/83718-mic-mount-diameter-question.html)

Craig Irving January 12th, 2007 01:42 AM

Mic mount diameter question.

Well I've had the V1U for a few days now and I'm pretty blown away by it. Picture quality is just outstanding, and the 24P is really really nice.

The supplied mic is really good too I find. I was suprised by it too, but I do need to add a hypercardioid for the recording I'm doing indoors. I'm considering the Rode NT3 or the Audio Technica 4053a. I know this isn't the forum to compare mics, I actually just wanted to make sure that both will fit inside the mic mount on the V1U. Does anyone know up to what diameter it will accept?

Is anyone using one of the two mics I've listed above and find that it fits nicely? It's actually the Rode that concerns me most because it's 32mm in diameter, where as the AT4053a is only 21mm).

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 12th, 2007 07:41 AM

You'll need to use the same rubber wrap that comes with your small shotgun mic for either of the AT's or most other mics. Search the Now Hear This forum, you'll find a recent thread on this very subject.

Dave F. Nelson January 12th, 2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving
Well I've had the V1U for a few days now and I'm pretty blown away by it. Picture quality is just outstanding, and the 24P is really really nice.

The supplied mic is really good too I find. I was suprised by it too, but I do need to add a hypercardioid for the recording I'm doing indoors. I'm considering the Rode NT3 or the Audio Technica 4053a. I know this isn't the forum to compare mics, I actually just wanted to make sure that both will fit inside the mic mount on the V1U. Does anyone know up to what diameter it will accept?

Is anyone using one of the two mics I've listed above and find that it fits nicely? It's actually the Rode that concerns me most because it's 32mm in diameter, where as the AT4053a is only 21mm).

The mic that comes with the V1U is the Sony ECM-NV1, a professional phantom powered short cardioid condensor mic. This is the same mic used on many Sony Pro camcorders such as the Sony DSR-PD170, DSR-PD150, HVR-A1U, PDX10, DSR-250, DSR-370, DSR-570, DSR-D35, and others as well.

The Sony ECM-NV1 is a small diameter mic fitted with a rubber sleeve to increase the diameter to 24mm to fit the Sony shock mount. The shock mount contains small bubbles used to help absorb shock. The Sony shock mount accepts mics of about 24mm. However if the mic is very long, the weight of the mic will force it to hit the bottom front part of the shock mount. So unless you are attaching a different small 24mm OD condensor mic, in most cases you will need an different mic mount to fit a shotgun mic to the V1U.

However, you can use the rubber sleeve from your ECM-NV1 mic, or you can create a sleeve out of an old bicycle inner tube to fit a smaller diameter 19 - 21mm OD standard shotgun to the V1U, but you could have balance problems with a longer mic which would cause the mic to hit the front lower part of the shock mount as mentioned above.

Rode makes a microphone shock mount specifically for Sony and Panasonic Pro camcorders called the SM5 (about $70.00) with a 24mm for Sony, and 27mm for Panasonic camcorder shock mount diameter that fits in the microphone shock mount on the V1U. This microphone shock mount is also offset to counterweight and balance a standard 11 to 14 inch shotgun mic properly in the shock mount.

This adaptor allows you to attach standard 19 to 25mm OD shotgun mics to the V1U, and of course all other Sony Pro camcorders listed above as well. I have tried attaching 16 to 18 inch shotguns such as the Azden SGM-2X 16 inch shotgun mic, or the Audio Technica AT815b 18 inch shotgun mic to the SM5, but it does not handle these longer, heavier shotguns very well.

Audio Technica makes a Camera Mount Adaptor AT8469 (about $10.00) that allows you to attach any standard 5/8 inch thread mic clip or shock mount to the standard camcorder shoe on the V1U. This adaptor would allow you to attach practically any mic to the V1U.

See the following B&H Photo link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s=t&shs=at8469

Azden also makes a nice universal microphone shock mount SMH-1, that accepts 19 to 25mm OD shotgun mics and attaches to the standard camcorder shoe mount on the V1U. I like this shock mount the most. It costs about $40.00.

See the following link to Azden: http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/custom...5&cat=1&page=2

With the above adaptors you can attach practically any shotgun or other mic to the V1U.

Rode and Sennheiser also make camcorder mics that attach to the standard camcorder shoe on the V1U. These camcorder mics are not as good as the Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Azden, AKG, Shure, EV, Rode, and other pro mics available.

I hope this helps, Dave.

Jeff Rhode January 16th, 2007 05:56 PM

David is right on with the mic sizes. I have my J-Rod that mounts into the microphone mount, which gives you another accessory shoe. From there you can use any rubberband shock mount and microphone, or use it as a place to mount your radio receiver and leave the top mount for a light.
Check it out at www.thej-rod.com. Many are using it on the Z1, V1, and Canon A1 and say they work great for those applications.

Craig Irving August 3rd, 2007 02:35 PM

Well I'm back to this again. Recently I did some shooting that involved a lot of running & gunning and I felt very bogged down by having to set up my Rode NT3 Mic on an SM5 shockmount and screwing it into my V1U mic mount all the time. Not to mention, the weight of the whole package and constantly worried it'll snap my mic mount right off. I still like the Rode, and will reserve it for special situations that allow for it, but I'm interested in getting a mic now that fits directly into the mic mount without needing a shockmount.

I'm looking at the Schoeps CMC641 (I think that's the model number) and again the Audio Technica 4053a. Both will seem to fit, but what I'm wondering is do any Sony users have any complaints about using the mic mounts w/o a shockmount? Does noise travel through the mic mount, or can it isolate itself from the camera's mechanical noises?

Any suggestions?

Ed Quinto August 3rd, 2007 07:18 PM

I have used the AT4053 with the v1. just needs some gaff tape to make it snug. not noisy at all.