Question regarding lenses requiring step-up rings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Question regarding lenses requiring step-up rings

Is there any disadvantage to purchasing Sony's wide-angle lens for the Z1U/FX1 and using a step-up ring rather than waiting for the wide-angle lens that will be for the V1U?

This is more of a general question actually, if I were to consider other lenses would I still have to make sure that it is a 62mm mount or do step-up rings perform the job just fine? Is there a downside?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Many folks do this and seem happy with the results, but depending on the ring and distance between the camera lens and the attached lens you can lose some zoom-through, focusing issues, vignetting, etc.

Since you mentioned the Z1 & V1, I own several of both and just simply purchased the proper lenses for each so as to ensure I won't have any problems. It's a significant added cost, but it illeviates any issues.

Fyi, I lucked out getting a V1U WA lens - there's no known, new stock of these for a few more weeks.

Also, I use Raynox fisheyes for both and got the 62mm "HD" version for the V1U - gorgeous banding - it's great!

A lot will come down to what you plan on delivering to the client in terms of quality...at least in my opinion.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Good to know, thanks! I guess I meant to say a step-down ring, not a step-up ring.

Although it's good to know that there aren't any major drawbacks either way.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7