24p or 25p, 60i or 50i - what is the big difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Major Player

24p or 25p, 60i or 50i - what is the big difference?

Hi,

in the light of the recent bad news on Sony V1E, I am considering the full refund option.

Having no much option around in Europe for progressive, I also consider to order a V1U from the USA.

Is there anything that makes V1U impossible to use in Europe? What to expect later in the usage in Europe if I want to buy the USA model?
(One thing is for sure: I dont intend to use the DV part, so NTSC is not an issue)

Thanks for the info.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Having worked across frame rates (both PAL and NTSC) I can say it is sometimes a pain in the behind, not being able to work in the local framerate.

Your output has a somewhat hit and miss chance of being played.

24p can be converted to 25p, but that becomes a chore fairly quickly.

My opinion is that I would never go for a 60Hz camera unless it had 50Hz frame rates on it too.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Having worked across frame rates (both PAL and NTSC) I can say it is sometimes a pain in the behind, not being able to work in the local framerate.
The best way to do this -- if you want -- is to use an HD projector for viewing 1080/60i as most projectors are multi-rate. Obviously, 24p with it's pulldown will play as 60i.

For 24p, I can't imagine any good lab can't convert 24p to film.

As for using 24p for a film-look, I'll leave it to someone in PAL land to explain how an NLE can rate change 24 to 25. Seems like it should be EZ.

But why not software deinterlace 50i? That's been the way its been done for decades.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7