FX7 or FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1
New Boot

FX7 or FX1?

Last month I purchased the Sony HDR-FX7 and am happy with how it performs. I originally thought about getting the FX1 until I saw that Sony came out with the FX7 and read that the FX7 is smaller and lighter than the FX1 and has some features that the FX1 doesn't have. I've owned a VX2000 for almost four years now and have loved the quality of video it produces, not to mention how great it is in low light, but I decided to make the jump to HD with the FX7 because as far as size and weight, it's almost identical to the 2000. Now my 2000 compared to my earlier camcorders is huge, but it didn't take long to adapt to it's size and weight, however I realized that if it had been just a bit heavier and bigger than it is, it wouldn't have been much fun to use. If it was much bigger than it is, then it would have had to have been a shoulder mount camera. This is one of the main reasons why I like the FX7 because it is about the same size and weight as my 2000.
I know people have bashed the camera because it's not as good in low light, but that's why they make video lights.
I've found that if you experiment with the shutter speed in manual mode and also use the gain you can get an acceptable picture. Now I'm not knocking the FX1 because after all, it is a Sony. I'm sure that for a lot of people the FX1 is the right camera for them. The FX7 though more than suits my needs. Which camera is better for you?
Mike Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here's a site comparing both the FX1 & FX7.

http://www.fxsupport.de/12.html
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I got the FX-1 after i tried the FX-7 for me the fx-7 need moore light otherwise the fx-7 is a great litle cam, will be ideal FX-7 1LUX ,
let's go SONY we waiting ....
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I know I'm weird, but after handling both I've just yesterday ordered the FX1 because I actually like the bigger form.

I've had a VX2000 for some years and to me it's actually a bit small for my taste. I feel I can get better steadiness with a larger cam. Plus I almost always use a tripod or shoulder brace.

I sure wish Sony made an FX1/FX7 clone in shoulder mount format... at the FX1 price.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't find that much difference in handling with a should mount (admittedly self made by me) in the FX1 and VX2000 I own. In fact, it is easier to handle VX2000 with should mount, because at least in my configuration, the FX1 is more front heavy.

Despite that, I think the controls on camera, rather than menu, are much better on FX1.
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I don't find that much difference in handling with a should mount (admittedly self made by me) in the FX1 and VX2000 I own. In fact, it is easier to handle VX2000 with should mount, because at least in my configuration, the FX1 is more front heavy.

That would be interesting to see your self made shoulder mount. I assume that Sony makes one you can buy? If the one you made works for you then you won't have to fork out money to buy one. I guess for me I'd rather have a cam like the FX7 that is reminicent of the old dinosaur VHS cams that you could mount on your shoulder, or something like what the pros use since theirs are shoulder mounted as well. Since the cams we're talking about don't, I guess we'll have to continue to hold them unless you use a tripod or you do have a shoulder mount.
Mike Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Mike! See the following for a discussion of FX1/Z1 shoulder mounts:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57910
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70660

Sony already makes the XDCAM series if you want a larger shoulder mount type of camera. Costs a lot more though. But if that style camera is important for you in a lower price range, you might want to look at the JVC HD-100 and the Canon XL-H1.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7