DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Has anyone successfully edited together footage from a V1U & Z1U? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/84688-has-anyone-successfully-edited-together-footage-v1u-z1u.html)

John Dewey January 24th, 2007 09:13 AM

Has anyone successfully edited together footage from a V1U & Z1U?

Hi,

I currently own a Sony Z1U Camera. I am thinking of adding a second camera to my arsenal and am considering the V1U.

I am looking for someone that has had experience editing footage from both cameras together for the same project. I know that each camera has a different look, and different sensors, etc., but can they be matched in post?

I am not looking to mix 24p footage with my Z1U, just standard 30 fps footage.

Let me know what you think. Can these 2 cameras play together nicely?

Thanks,

John

Chris Shaeffer January 24th, 2007 10:29 AM

I did a quick test with these 2 cameras and they match each other *very* well. You have to go through the settings and make sure they're about the same, but once the cameras are set up as close as they can be they are remarkably similar.

Barry J. Weckesser January 24th, 2007 01:11 PM

Editing with V1U and Z1U

I recently did a multicam shoot with the V1U and FX1 over the Christmas holidays and am in the process of editing the footage in multicam mode with Edius Pro 4 software (Canopus). Both cameras are remarkably similar and it is certainly not obvious (at least to my eye) that switiching back and forth between the two cameras that they are not identical. I am very pleased so far about using these two cameras together. The above-mentioned shoot was indoors (with good lighting).

Vaughan Wood January 25th, 2007 12:18 AM

I edited up a two camera shoot of a ballet school concert with multicam using a Z1 and FX7, and again the footage seemed identical, even down to the colour balance wandering on both cameras when the clouds came and went through the windows down the side of the hall and changed the colour temperature on the stage!

Cheers Vaughan

Daniel Boswell January 25th, 2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dewey
Hi,

I currently own a Sony Z1U Camera. I am thinking of adding a second camera to my arsenal and am considering the V1U.

I am looking for someone that has had experience editing footage from both cameras together for the same project. I know that each camera has a different look, and different sensors, etc., but can they be matched in post?

I am not looking to mix 24p footage with my Z1U, just standard 30 fps footage.

Let me know what you think. Can these 2 cameras play together nicely?

Thanks,

John

Yes, I have.

I did a same day edit recently with FX and V1. The V1 is noticably noiser in poor lighting but other than that, they matched up well.

John Dewey January 26th, 2007 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. This makes my V1U purchase decision much easier.

-John

Scott Shuster January 26th, 2007 10:39 PM

What about compatibility with Final Cut Pro: Is FCP ready to accept this 24p footage from the V1U yet? Or if you use the V1U at 30p, does one use the same FCP settings as the Z1U to get the footage into the camera?