so in 24p i edit in 60i? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #16
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
I certainly would have liked to have edited native 24p at the time, but 60i worked out ok. I've had other projects where I've mixed native 1080i footage and 24F, and of course the only sensible option is to edit 60i.

I'm sure this will all be irrelevant soon with simple pulldown removal tools coming for the various NLE's, but I would have to say that if your project is shot 24p, even if the camera outputs as 1080i (which the V1 does and my H1 does via SDI--but interestingly enough NOT through firewire) it's much more important to have good pulldown removal and add it later if needs be.
One hopes the NLEs will have the tools. But, for example, Avid editors are still waiting for 720p25. Certainly WHEN the tools are available we'll all use them. But, waiting on HDV support to SHIP verses be announced has not proven a useful path. Better to find work-a-rounds and not be stuck.

Why did you want to Compress to 24p?
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
...waiting on HDV support to SHIP verses be announced has not proven a useful path. Better to find work-a-rounds and not be stuck.
Totally agreed. That's why I bought a Kona card when I first got the camera. Didn't want to be wholly dependent on NLE HDV support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Why did you want to Compress to 24p?
--Web HD QT's look waaaay better without interlace
--Easier PAL transfer if needed
--HD DVD in 24p with more bits allocated to the true frames (player adding pulldown if needed)
--Film Out if desired
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Totally agreed. That's why I bought a Kona card when I first got the camera. Didn't want to be wholly dependent on NLE HDV support.

--Web HD QT's look waaaay better without interlace
--Easier PAL transfer if needed
--HD DVD in 24p with more bits allocated to the true frames (player adding pulldown if needed)
--Film Out if desired
Not to mention the file size savings, which you allude to in your "more bits allocated to frames."
I'm using the Xena card with Vegas and Kona with FCP, and looking forward to both the CineForm solution, and using the new Convergent Design card as well. Lots of great solutions out there already.
On that same topic, you'll see a lot of comments on the various web forums about the VASST images on YouTube. They're mostly shot/uploaded as 24p as well, saving file space, but more importantly, the 24p converts better than the 30p or 60i. 60p on their system is miserable to convert, but that's more due to Squeeze than anything.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Just to confirm, the 24F had 2:3 pulldown added by the camera for HD-SDI output. If so, then the video was like the V1.

I'm going to capture some more 24p, edit at 60i, and burn to HD DVD at 60i. The I'll try Vegas for the same. Good check both paths out. Unfortunately, I strongly suspect the HD DVD tools will not accept 24p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7