Sony HDD problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HDD problem

I just unpacked our new HDD from Sony. It looks straight forward to use, but I am having a problem at the computer end. The drive mounts fine but each time I start and stop goes to a different folder (100HDVF, 101HDVF, etc...) Each folder contains 3 files that have the extensions .IDX, .M2T, and .TS which is what the instructions say. The M2T file is the large one....but I can't figure what to do with it. I expect I am missing a file that I should be seeing, but I was under the impression that this was going to be a drag & drop to my hard drive and edit. I am set at RawDV and using a V1U. I am using a mac with 10.4 and Final Cut 5.

The manual does not even touch on this...anyone have any experience with this ?
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode View Post
I just unpacked our new HDD from Sony. It looks straight forward to use, but I am having a problem at the computer end. The drive mounts fine but each time I start and stop goes to a different folder (100HDVF, 101HDVF, etc...) Each folder contains 3 files that have the extensions .IDX, .M2T, and .TS which is what the instructions say. The M2T file is the large one....but I can't figure what to do with it. I expect I am missing a file that I should be seeing, but I was under the impression that this was going to be a drag & drop to my hard drive and edit. I am set at RawDV and using a V1U. I am using a mac with 10.4 and Final Cut 5.

The manual does not even touch on this...anyone have any experience with this ?
Yes,
each folder is for one recording session. If the file size exceeds 4GB the recorder needs to split the file in which case two .m2t files will appear in the folder. You need to join them on the T/L.

The .m2t files are the ones with the media in them, the other two are only for the units playback, you can delete them once you've copied the m2t files to your local HD.
As for getting the .m2t files into FCP, good question. Works seemlessly with Vegas. I think you need to copy the .m2t files to you HD and then run them through Slipstream but I'm no FCP guru.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob. I will investigate Slipstream.
So each time the camera is paused the clip goes into a new folder ?
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rhode View Post
Thanks Bob. I will investigate Slipstream.
So each time the camera is paused the clip goes into a new folder ?
Everytime you stop recording yes. This is so that if the recording session needs to create a file over 4GB then the parts that makeup the one session are obvious.

There's a manual on the enclosed CD, I'd really suggest reading it as the quick start guide doesn't contain enough info.
I didn't have enough time playing with the unit to get to the bottom of one problem we noticed. Running off battery and hooked up to a PC or Mac the unit seems to disconnect and reconnect, possibly it's a power saving thing powering the disk down. Whatever it is it drives both OSX and WinXP nuts.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7