DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   compare the z1 and the v1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/88609-compare-z1-v1.html)

Ed Sharpe March 10th, 2007 07:44 AM

compare the z1 and the v1?

have a z1 wonder if the color will be the same shooting alongside with v1? coments? anyone doing this?

thanks!

Heath McKnight March 18th, 2007 05:34 PM

I have to say that since there are a few more color and cinegamma options on the V1 vs. Z1, you're going to be able to get different looks. Then again, with CMOS vs. CCD, you'll get different looks, though minor (no smear, ie, when light hits something reflective, it won't look like a "shining star), and with smaller CMOS chips vs. CCD, you're light sensitivity isn't as good. 4 lux rating vs. 3.

I love both cameras, but have used the Z1 more. I plan on using the V1u more in the immediate future.

heath

Ed Sharpe March 18th, 2007 11:53 PM

lux

what happens if you boost the gain? is the noise level bad:?

thanks ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 643833)
I have to say that since there are a few more color and cinegamma options on the V1 vs. Z1, you're going to be able to get different looks. Then again, with CMOS vs. CCD, you'll get different looks, though minor (no smear, ie, when light hits something reflective, it won't look like a "shining star), and with smaller CMOS chips vs. CCD, you're light sensitivity isn't as good. 4 lux rating vs. 3.

I love both cameras, but have used the Z1 more. I plan on using the V1u more in the immediate future.

heath

Heath McKnight March 19th, 2007 08:16 AM

The V1 and Z1 are very clean up to around 9 db of gain, vs. other cameras in its class. I haven't done a true comparison yet, though, between the two Sony cameras.

heath

Marcus Marchesseault March 20th, 2007 07:03 PM

I haven't used the Z1, but I have used the FX1 extensively. I think I like the V1 form factor, the Z1 focus and aperture rings, the Z1 LCD position, but what sells me is the V1 color and detail. I was a VX2000 owner and the controls on the V1 are a step up from there. I would rather have the style of control knobs on the Z1, but the V1 is probably too small for that. I think I am split between the form between the cameras, but I like the image of the V1 better. The Z1 has NTSC and PAL simultaneously which would be a big advantage for some people. I am not concerned so much with the broadcast format as I do specialty video instead of broadcast.

Some people would say that the Z1 is better in low light, but for event videos I would put the V1 in 30P at 1/30 shutter and make up the difference or even exceed the Z1's low light image. I don't mind the slow shutter look as long as the camera isn't moved around excessively.

Heath McKnight March 20th, 2007 07:15 PM

Nice tip, Marcus, for the wedding videographers considering the V1. If I were to buy a camera tomorrow, it'd be the V1u.

heath

Marcus Marchesseault March 21st, 2007 01:11 AM

1/30 shutter at 30p is one of the reasons I got the V1 instead of the FX7. I knew it could make a big difference in an event situation. With proper tweaking, the V1U looks pretty good in normal interior lighting.

For movies shoots, the light is more controllable and the V1 is sensitive enough so that it doesn't require thousands of watts of light (except for maybe a large outdoor scene). Nobody would complain if an HDV camera was as sensitive as the PD170, but the V1 really isn't bad at all.

Steven Davis April 3rd, 2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 645255)
Nice tip, Marcus, for the wedding videographers considering the V1. If I were to buy a camera tomorrow, it'd be the V1u.

heath

Hey Heath, Can I twist your arm to expound on this opinion. I need to pick up a pair of twins to go with my Z1u. I've crossed off the A1 because I want to stay in the Sony family, although I still own my Gl2. Not to complicate my question, but this is where I am coming from. I don't shoot PAL, and I know that's the Z1's big claim to fame.

So if you were going to pick up two cams to add to your arsenal along with your existing Z1, would you get two V1's or two Z1's. I was leaning towards the V1's to have flexibility in my production.

Thanks ahead of time for your time.

Doug Graham April 3rd, 2007 01:44 PM

If price were no object, I think I'd still pick the V1U for weddings.

First, simply because I like Sony.

Second, because it's smaller and lighter than the Z1 or the Canon. I shot a wedding with an FX-1 recently, which is the same size as those cams, and was VERY glad I had a monopod. It was just too big and heavy for prolonged handheld work.